Site Sponsors

Thread: It's heeeree!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's heeeree!

Total surprise arrival, no note that it had shipped from my B&H pre-order. Can't wait to try it out, and will post some results here hopefully early next week!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's heeeree!

Congrats, Jack!

I am very pumped about this lens. The price: Performance ratio is phenomenal and the sample images look quite stunning. Nikon has really done a good job with this lens and at this price, it is definitely worth considering over similar options from Sigma and Tamron.
    Can't wait to see your review.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's quite the bazooka, Jack! Are you going into the sports photography arena? :-)
    Looked it up ... only $1400 too. If it performs well, that's quite a piece for that money.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Initial feedback after only mounting and focus adjusting, and shooting it wide open hand-held: Wow!

Required zero focus adjust on my D810 at either end of zoom range close or far, ALL were zero! It is surprisinly good -- actually excellent -- at both ends optically using 100% review on cam, will need to open them up in raw to confirm, but I am 99% certain it's way better than I expected! Oh, attatched my TC14-III, giving me a 280-700 f8 zoom, as good as lens alone at 280, and still remarkable at 700 wide open hand-held!!!

Will try and post some initial crops this evening. Stay tuned for more!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy Jack - and keep us posted.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Jack. Images please. TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why does a beach on a hot summer day become my first thought. Have fun bud.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Jack!

A really interesting lens for me (wildlife), so I am VERY interested in samples!

Post Thanks / Like

OMG great .. I have one arriving tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Congrats Jack!

A really interesting lens for me (wildlife), so I am VERY interested in samples!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    That's quite the bazooka, Jack! Are you going into the sports photography arena? :-)
    Looked it up ... only $1400 too. If it performs well, that's quite a piece for that money.

G
    Actually, it's quite compact and lightweight for the range it covers! It is just a skosh bigger and heavier than the 80-400/4.5-5.6 lens, and fits easily in my regular backpack bag. I don't do sports per se and got it primarily for occasional wildlife or long portraiture/fashion -- it's an all-in-one I think will serve admirably in those rolls. It's not a fast Nikkor 400, 500 or 600 prime, but it's darn good, and doubly (or triple!) so at this price point!
    Jack

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, these are not meant for anything except showing you initial performance! Both are hand-held, wide-open with VR Normal ON, electric feed pole is about 200 feet distant, processed in C1 at my normal D810 settings, nothing special done.

First full frame at 500mm f5.6, 1/2000 w/autoISO @ 1600, then a crop of where I focused:

DOF is so shallow, I focused on the base and the insulator in front is going oof --
    ~~~

Now with TC14E-III at 700mm f8, 1/2000 w/autoISO @ 3200, followed by a crop:

This one focused a hair closer than the other, but prolly as close as it gets without going to LV and manual focus. Obviously the TC costs a little resolution, but still pretty darn good IMHO for a hand-held 700mm capture!
    Jack

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some general comments:

Focus: Fast in good light. In low-contrast it does an interesting thing -- it doesn't hunt per se, but rather slows down like it's gone into a fine or accurate AF mode(!) I have not read the manual, but I suspect there is something in the onboard electronics that activates a signal to the D810 when there is low contrast. Need to explore this more, but it work amazingly well! Oh, and it focuses pretty close too!

Size: It's larger and heavier than a 70-200/2.8 or 80-400/5.6-6.3, but not by much and still fits in my ThinkTank Airport UL backpack -- in fact, the size and weight are probably not enough to worry about over either of the other zooms if you want or need 500mm.

Build: Quality is excellent, comes with nice reversable hood and cloth lens bag that can actually stay on the lens when you stick it in a backpack.

Price: I simply can't believe one can get this high of build quality and optical performance at this price...

Okay, need to shoot more, stay tuned.

PS: Mark, hopefully you will chime in with your initial impressions after you gets yours tomorrow!
    Jack

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Okay, these are not meant for anything except showing you initial performance! Both are hand-held, wide-open with VR Normal ON, electric feed pole is about 200 feet distant, processed in C1 at my normal D810 settings, nothing special done.

First full frame at 500mm f5.6, 1/2000 w/autoISO @ 1600, then a crop of where I focused:

DOF is so shallow, I focused on the base and the insulator in front is going oof --
    ~~~

Now with TC14E-III at 700mm f8, 1/2000 w/autoISO @ 3200, followed by a crop:

This one focused a hair closer than the other, but prolly as close as it gets without going to LV and manual focus. Obviously the TC costs a little resolution, but still pretty darn good IMHO for a hand-held 700mm capture!

Oh thanks Jack...

Another lens I need to get...

Bob

Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it. Just placed an order.
    Joe Marquez
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like

Samples look really sharp! I like what I see!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack. Great stuff. Any thoughts as to why it's so much less $ than you would expect?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cerett View Post
    Thanks Jack. Great stuff. Any thoughts as to why it's so much less $ than you would expect?
    No real idea other than a guess it's probably a lot easier to design and build a 200-500 or 2.5:1 zoom-range fixed 5.6 lens than it is to build an 80-400 or 5:1 zoom-range lens even with variable aperture -- ? Not going to complain though -- this lens is an absolute bargain for anybody wanting a do-it-all long zoom!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

No real idea other than a guess it's probably a lot easier to design and build a 200-500 or 2.5:1 zoom-range fixed 5.6 lens than it is to build an 80-400 or 5:1 zoom-range lens even with variable aperture -- ? Not going to complain though -- this lens is an absolute bargain for anybody wanting a do-it-all long zoom!
    Agree - no complaints. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Jack and all
    I got mine today but the rubber gasket at the rear lens was broken. I am getting a replacement on Monday. I took a few shots and impressed. it is a bit heavy to handhold over time. I can try to post some images this weekend. However, I also got the new 300mm/4 and that is a killer lens. So small and light and very sharp.

Some general comments:

Focus: Fast in good light. In low-contrast it does an interesting thing -- it doesn't hunt per se, but rather slows down like it's gone into a fine or accurate AF mode(!) I have not read the manual, but I suspect there is something in the onboard electronics that activates a signal to the D810 when there is low contrast. Need to explore this more, but it work amazingly well! Oh, and it focuses pretty close too!

Size: It's larger and heavier than a 70-200/2.8 or 80-400/5.6-6.3, but not by much and still fits in my ThinkTank Airport UL backpack -- in fact, the size and weight are probably not enough to worry about over either of the other zooms if you want or need 500mm.

Build: Quality is excellent, comes with nice reversable hood and cloth lens bag that can actually stay on the lens when you stick it in a backpack.

Price: I simply can't believe one can get this high of build quality and optical performance at this price...

Okay, need to shoot more, stay tuned.

PS: Mark, hopefully you will chime in with your initial impressions after you gets yours tomorrow!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the price, it is OK, I suppose.

Jack, Looking forward to more samples.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

Just curious. Where is it made ?

JT

Post Thanks / Like

Thought you we and your wife were having another baby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    Jack,

Just curious. Where is it made ?

JT
    At this price, where else 'cept China?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Got it on Sunday and in time for a dragon dance shoot here in Hong Kong.

These are shot at slow shutter 1/8 to 1/15 second at 500mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC2665.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	572.2 KB 
ID:	95288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC2983-Edit.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	565.4 KB 
ID:	95289  
    Yat

www.flickr.com/yatlee
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quickly had opportunity to test two samples of this lens out last week. As others had noted, impressive, even with use of their 1.4x as Jack had noted. I think Nikon is responding to market and competitive pressure from both Tamron and Sigma.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

I received my replaced 200-500mm and took it out for an hour or so yesterday at a popular bird site in the area. Here are some 100 percent crops. RAW converted in CS6 and a little output sharpening added. The AF is good in decent light. I started to play around with VR in sport vs normal mode. My feeling is that even for birds in flight the normal setting may be better (more keepers) but i need to play around a bit more. I used the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters as well. The avocets in the water was at effective 700mm using 1.4x. AF is slowed a bit. I could not get the camera to fire even when in focus with the 2x teleconverter. I need to see what is up with that as Jack seems to have gotten the camera to fire. I rarely use the 2x converter though. The lens is not that heavy considering. I like it more than my 80-400mm but would like to try a side by side at some point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3953w.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	113022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3938w.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	273.5 KB 
ID:	113023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3751w.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	113024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3693w.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	113025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3742w.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	449.1 KB 
ID:	113026  

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark,

I didn't use the 2x, only the 1.4!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I received my replaced 200-500mm and took it out for an hour or so yesterday at a popular bird site in the area. Here are some 100 percent crops. RAW converted in CS6 and a little output sharpening added. The AF is good in decent light. I started to play around with VR in sport vs normal mode. My feeling is that even for birds in flight the normal setting may be better (more keepers) but i need to play around a bit more. I used the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters as well. The avocets in the water was at effective 700mm using 1.4x. AF is slowed a bit. I could not get the camera to fire even when in focus with the 2x teleconverter. I need to see what is up with that as Jack seems to have gotten the camera to fire. I rarely use the 2x converter though. The lens is not that heavy considering. I like it more than my 80-400mm but would like to try a side by side at some point.
    2x won't fire in low light

Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello everyone - my first post here at getdpi. I got my lens last week, but haven't really had a chance to test it out other than a few shots at a local park.

Handheld with a D800e, PS Auto levels only

100% crop.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We are waiting for more Jack!
    http://www.harrywhoffman.com