The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 200-500/5.6 Service Advisory

kxl

Nikon Europe's English site:

"We have confirmed that with autofocus shooting using the AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens, autofocus may sometimes become disabled and focus operation switches to manual focus* when the zoom ring on the lens is rotated while the camera's shutter-release button is pressed halfway, or the camera's AF-ON button is held down.

Firmware in lenses with a serial number of 2008365 or higher have already been updated."

Nikon USA calls it a firmware upgrade (LOL!). You can check here to see if your lens is on the affected list

Mine is on the affected list but since I have not seen the issue under normal use, I probably will hold off before taking it in. I have not done any kind of stress test to recreate it. Note the key word in the acknowledged issue is: SOMETIMES. In any case, because I am only about an hour's drive away from the Nikon repair facility on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles, I may just drop it off/pick it up if/when I do decide to get the firmware upgrade, but I am in no rush. Nikon has told me that the turnaround for the firmware upgrade will be less than their usual 7-10 day turnaround estimate.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mine is on the not-affected list and I can confirm AF works very well.

jsf

Same for me, it is not on the list. It just shows the value GetDpi is to everyone. I wasn't even aware that there was a problem. Thanks for the heads up. I've tested the lens and it looks sharp both hand held and on a tripod at all of the focal lengths and all of the relevant f/stops. I will know after my next trip. Next month I will have some images with the new lens. It is quite a design feat I think. Joe