Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon 200-500/5.6 Service Advisory

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon 200-500/5.6 Service Advisory

Nikon Europe's English site:

"We have confirmed that with autofocus shooting using the AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens, autofocus may sometimes become disabled and focus operation switches to manual focus* when the zoom ring on the lens is rotated while the camera's shutter-release button is pressed halfway, or the camera's AF-ON button is held down.

Firmware in lenses with a serial number of 2008365 or higher have already been updated."

Nikon USA calls it a firmware upgrade (LOL!). You can check here to see if your lens is on the affected list

Mine is on the affected list but since I have not seen the issue under normal use, I probably will hold off before taking it in. I have not done any kind of stress test to recreate it. Note the key word in the acknowledged issue is: SOMETIMES. In any case, because I am only about an hour's drive away from the Nikon repair facility on Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles, I may just drop it off/pick it up if/when I do decide to get the firmware upgrade, but I am in no rush. Nikon has told me that the turnaround for the firmware upgrade will be less than their usual 7-10 day turnaround estimate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon 200-500/5.6 Service Advisory

Mine is on the not-affected list and I can confirm AF works very well.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Same for me, it is not on the list. It just shows the value GetDpi is to everyone. I wasn't even aware that there was a problem. Thanks for the heads up. I've tested the lens and it looks sharp both hand held and on a tripod at all of the focal lengths and all of the relevant f/stops. I will know after my next trip. Next month I will have some images with the new lens. It is quite a design feat I think. Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same with mine. What a wonderful lens to use in the field.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Folks,

really good to hear, this lens is on my wish list already!