Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 68 of 68

Thread: D810 on the way - now what?

  1. #51
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    I was in Death Valley this morning. It was cold, and windy like hell. The dust cloud engulfed the entire 6000 ft mountain - seriously. Not a pleasant day.



    Stitched pano - six or seven portrait-orientation exposures. D810 @ ISO 64, 180/2.8D at f/8. Stitched with PT and hugin, then some quick fixes using my own software Monochrome.
    I have one more pano series, have not looked at it yet. My gear is full of salt dust.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #52
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,870
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    So... handheld, you are using live view with EFC to avoid mirror-up slap and front curtain vibrations?
    Lars,

    sorry for late response!

    No I actually use just EFC with no live view. Just normal mirror! Meanwhile have taken many more shots already this way and I am even more confident how great the D810 works compared to the D800E. Absolutely no issues with any vibrations, also at focal length up to 200 (from my 70-200G VRII). I could not be happier.

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    I was in Death Valley this morning. It was cold, and windy like hell. The dust cloud engulfed the entire 6000 ft mountain - seriously. Not a pleasant day.



    Stitched pano - six or seven portrait-orientation exposures. D810 @ ISO 64, 180/2.8D at f/8. Stitched with PT and hugin, then some quick fixes using my own software Monochrome.
    I have one more pano series, have not looked at it yet. My gear is full of salt dust.
    That is wild.

    Funny coincidence , we just left 29 Palms/Joshua Tree a day early - combo of wicked cold and this crazy wind. Our campground was engulfed in sand though I did get a cool edge of a dust-tinged sunset- with my RX1R II though.

    JT

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Be sure to go through the process of a good AF fine tune for all of your chipped lenses as a few points + or - can make a huge difference in your AF (and MF with confirm dot) pleasure!
    Hi Jack - What are you currently using for AF fine tune?

  5. #55
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by cerett View Post
    Hi Jack - What are you currently using for AF fine tune?
    Are you asking how I set it? I go through a very simple process:
    Lens wide open
    1) Place a small object with detail on a large expanse of pavement at distance of about 50x focal of lens,
    2) focus lens on it,
    3) evaluate at 100% review on LCD,
    4) correct front or rear as required,
    5) repeat steps 2 though 4 until I have focus on object perfect.

    Lens stopped down to f5.6
    6) Next I stop down to f5.6 and confirm focus at 50x focal,
    7) then I confirm wide open at distance of roughly 1000x focal,
    8) then I confirm stopped down to f5.6 at same 1000x distance.
    9) On the rare case there is a focus shift in either step 6, 7 or 8, I'll adjust focus to a "compromise" in-between setting that works best for the way I shoot.*

    *Note that I've only had to do this with two lenses, the 85/1.4G and 70-200/2.8 VRII G. For the 85, I set the 50x focal wide-open setting biased one number to the front of the DoF. For me this corrected for the minor focus shift in that lens as you stop down or add distance. For the zoom, I set it for best performance at 200 medium distance wide open since that was the most critical usage point for me -- at that setting, I did not ever notice any serious focus issues with that lens, but admittedly I never did use it much before I sold it.

    Hope this helps!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  6. #56
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,870
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    For the zoom, I set it for best performance at 200 medium distance wide open since that was the most critical usage point for me -- at that setting, I did not ever notice any serious focus issues with that lens, but admittedly I never did use it much before I sold it.
    Interestingly enough, the 70-200 G VRII is now one of my most used lenses on the D810. Just love it!

    And I never saw any focus shift - not in any range of the zoom.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Here is a quick B/W version:



    Not sure if I like the change - the source image is essentially monochrome except for the sky, so removing color doesn't do as much to abstracting the scene as it might in other images. Still, it adds a certain artistic ambition.

    I also left what little foreground I had in this crop, and the dunes come out clearer in this one. For anyone who has been there, the scale should be obvious from the dunes.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #58
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,870
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Here is a quick B/W version:



    Not sure if I like the change - the source image is essentially monochrome except for the sky, so removing color doesn't do as much to abstracting the scene as it might in other images. Still, it adds a certain artistic ambition.

    I also left what little foreground I had in this crop, and the dunes come out clearer in this one. For anyone who has been there, the scale should be obvious from the dunes.
    I must say I prefer the color version of this, but I am rather a color guy than b&w. I also think you could work out the same details in the color version as you did in the b&w version.

    Anyway a great shot!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #59
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Lars,

    For whatever it's worth, I prefer the color version -- I like the accentuated drama from the color contrast.

    *IF* I were going B&W, I'd pull the levels so you have about 253 white and somewhere around 2 net of black -- right now too much gray -- and I would add some clarity (local contrast) to attenuate the fog slightly, and then I'd brighten up the mid-range by about 20 points on curves. But I still believe the color version would win for me.

    Maybe if the B&W was split toned to warm blacks cool whites it would be best?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #60
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Lars,

    For whatever it's worth, I prefer the color version -- I like the accentuated drama from the color contrast.

    *IF* I were going B&W, I'd pull the levels so you have about 253 white and somewhere around 2 net of black -- right now too much gray -- and I would add some clarity (local contrast) to attenuate the fog slightly, and then I'd brighten up the mid-range by about 20 points on curves. But I still believe the color version would win for me.

    Maybe if the B&W was split toned to warm blacks cool whites it would be best?
    Thanks, Jack - Yep I agree with all your points, have had similar thoughts. This was a five-minute quick hack - one problem I have right now is that the Hugin software (GUI front-end for PanoramaTools) only spits out 8-bit TIFFs (not sure what goes on internally) so the B/W conversion really suffers with lots of posterization. So if I go really aggressive on curves/contrast/clarity the transitions in the clouds really suffer. Color suffers less as there is more data to work from.

    Part of the problem with posterization is the way I use B/W conversion - it's mostly the red channel which means not enough data. I'm thinking it's better to let the B/W conversion work off all colors and then work on contrast/clarity on the B/W image. I love using a red digital filter but the source pipeline needs to be 16 bits (or at least 12) per channel all the way for that to work well.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  11. #61
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Have you run the full raw through C1? Their B&W tool is both elegant and exquisite, and I suggest you try it out.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  12. #62
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Have you run the full raw through C1? Their B&W tool is both elegant and exquisite, and I suggest you try it out.
    No I have not. Raw conversion is not a problem - I convert to 48-bit color TIFF to use as a source for panoramic stitching, then stitch to one huge TIFF file which I then do detailed work on. The stitching software mangles the bit depth. Can C1 do panoramic stitching with projection? I suspect not?
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Are you asking how I set it? I go through a very simple process:
    Lens wide open
    1) Place a small object with detail on a large expanse of pavement at distance of about 50x focal of lens,
    2) focus lens on it,
    3) evaluate at 100% review on LCD,
    4) correct front or rear as required,
    5) repeat steps 2 though 4 until I have focus on object perfect.

    Lens stopped down to f5.6
    6) Next I stop down to f5.6 and confirm focus at 50x focal,
    7) then I confirm wide open at distance of roughly 1000x focal,
    8) then I confirm stopped down to f5.6 at same 1000x distance.
    9) On the rare case there is a focus shift in either step 6, 7 or 8, I'll adjust focus to a "compromise" in-between setting that works best for the way I shoot.*

    *Note that I've only had to do this with two lenses, the 85/1.4G and 70-200/2.8 VRII G. For the 85, I set the 50x focal wide-open setting biased one number to the front of the DoF. For me this corrected for the minor focus shift in that lens as you stop down or add distance. For the zoom, I set it for best performance at 200 medium distance wide open since that was the most critical usage point for me -- at that setting, I did not ever notice any serious focus issues with that lens, but admittedly I never did use it much before I sold it.

    Hope this helps!
    Thanks Jack. Interesting approach. What are your thoughts regarding LensAlign and similar products? Do they really add anything?

  14. #64
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    No I have not. Raw conversion is not a problem - I convert to 48-bit color TIFF to use as a source for panoramic stitching, then stitch to one huge TIFF file which I then do detailed work on. The stitching software mangles the bit depth. Can C1 do panoramic stitching with projection? I suspect not?
    No, but you can process the raws and stitch after the fact. Takes a little longer but end result is worth it. Bigger benefit of C1 is it's B&W conversion tool directly from the raw -- it maintains smooth tonality in mono -- then it has a stellar split-tone tool.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  15. #65
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by cerett View Post
    Thanks Jack. Interesting approach. What are your thoughts regarding LensAlign and similar products? Do they really add anything?
    Good tool, I've tried it and it works. However, my described method works just as well for me and is a simpler process
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  16. #66
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    No, but you can process the raws and stitch after the fact. Takes a little longer but end result is worth it. Bigger benefit of C1 is it's B&W conversion tool directly from the raw -- it maintains smooth tonality in mono -- then it has a stellar split-tone tool.
    Right - in this case with dramatic curve and tonal adjustments it makes sense to give up some editing flexibility and do the stitching as a last step.

    As a side note, my own software has raw developer built in as well these days, so I can go directly from raw to B/W - even in 32 bits per color or floating point HDR although there is little or no visible advantage.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  17. #67
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Hmm my D810 took one look at my 10 TB network storage and burst out laughing... I need more hard drives.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  18. #68
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Another visit to Death Valley two weeks ago, again Mesquite Dunes, this time facing NE. This is a reshoot of a capture from 2006,
    Nikon 300 f/4 AF on D810, shot at f/8. Stitch of 4 or 5 vertical frames.
    Images are about 7K x 21K pixels so about 150 Mpx.


    First one is sunrise:




    Second one is dusk. In the middle of the pano there is a group of three people shooting a selfie.



    Behind the scenes:

    Monochrome: http://mochro.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •