Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 68

Thread: D810 on the way - now what?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    D810 on the way - now what?



    I guess the first order of business is (figure out how to) evaluate whether the camera body is well aligned.
    Then go through my Nikon glass to decide what to keep.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Good luck with it! Have fun!
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member JohnBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Lars, I think you will find the alignment problem a thing of the past. The mirror box was completely re-designed to eliminate that problem. Of course, there is still the chance of sample variation, but you should have no problem diagnosing this with a good lens and testing all the focus points.
    I would say that the D810 will nail focus most of the time, and at a much better rate than the D800. IMO, Nikon still has work to do with AF. I only have two AF lenses and much prefer primes. I only had one AF lens with my D800 and the focus was a crap shoot depending on subject. I used manual over ride quite a bit.
    BTW, you should love the LV and new shutter.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    With a bit of luck my D810 is also on its way, if I can get hold of one of the special offers here in Austria together with the 24-120, which should make for a reasonably good kit lens.

    Will sell my Df to partially fund this, the offer is so good that I could no longer resist!

    If this works out I will be very excited!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Be sure to go through the process of a good AF fine tune for all of your chipped lenses as a few points + or - can make a huge difference in your AF (and MF with confirm dot) pleasure!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Thanks for tips guys.
    First lens is probably a 50/1.8G, just because it's cheap, small and good.
    I don't have any normal zoom so that's probably next - the Nikon 24-120 or Sigma's new 24-105, or Tamron's 24-70. I need to do a bit more research but I believe those three are all reasonably good optically. Of course build quality really matters for a zoom likely to get banged around a bit. For that reason the new Tokina 24-70 could be interesting as well if it is comparable optically, I always liked Tokina's all-metal pro build quality.
    Then again, perhaps the value of VR/IS should perhaps not be underestimated? The Tokina has no such thing.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  7. #7
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    I have the 24-120 Nikkor --- it is probably the worst lens I own from an optical POV, and at the same time, probably one of my most used! It is optically slow at f4, and isn't particularly sharp there, but nor is it particularly bad -- IOW totally usable wide open. It sharpens up nicely at f5.6 and is very good corner to corner at f8. After f8 diffraction kicks in and you gain nothing. So it sits on my cam at f6.3 most of the time, and gets bumped up to f8 when I need max DOF or opened to f4.5 when I need it. VR is very good, and does add a solid 2 stops of speed, and I've pressed it to three with good technique.

    Here is a shot I took with it on the D800 when the pair was relatively new, and in fact the shot that sold me on using the lens more often than not for travel/walk-around. I have converted it to split-tone sepia/cool in C1, printed it to 16x24 and it holds up outstandingly well. 1/8th @ f8 at ISO 560 and 24mm handheld. (Also note the DR which has improved a stop with the D810!):



    Here is another shot with it that shows VR capability. This shot was f4 (wide open) at 66mm and ISO 3200 which was my max on the D800. IIRC the exposure was 1 second, all hand-held at night. It does not hold very well up at 16x, but does at 10x and I used it in a calendar that year :

    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member JohnBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    +1 on the AF fine tune. It's really quite a simple process and made even easier with LV - you can do it on the fly, so to speak.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Thanks Jack I suspect that I will prioritize f/2.8 over resolving power - image depth currently plays an important role in my photography. I guess most zooms in this range will be quite decent at f/5.6-f/8 so, as is often the case, wide open performance and max aperture become the differentiators. Add build quality and IS performance to the mix. And of course size and weight for a walkaround lens. That said, obviously the 24-120 is quite good and cost-effective as well. Decisions...
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  10. #10
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Thanks Jack & John!

    Received mine today and am currently getting used to it again after I had sold my D800E a year ago. I still need to say it feels different - actually very much different from the D800E for my feeling, the shutter is so much quieter etc.etc. The 24-120 seems to be a decent copy, need to do some more testing though.

    Also the 1.8/35 and 1.8/85 are perfectly harmonizing with that body!

    I am really excited.

    Peter

  11. #11
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Peter, congrats on your new tool/toy/tinker object. Looking back what was your reason for not keeping the D800E, and how is the D810 different?

    Camera arriving tomorrow with a 50/1.8G, a grip, a DK-17M finder magnifier, and a dirt cheap L plate for body only. Also considering 35/1.8G and 85/1.8G at some point, we'll see if my old 85/1.4D stands up to scrutiny.

    Beyond my 20/2.8D I really don't have any wide angle primes as all my landscape work has been with large format. The D810 has just about enough resolution for single-shot panoramics - in my opinion a horizontal panoramic format requires more detail as we tend to examine it closer, in segments, rather than as a single image. 8K wide will do for reasonably wide prints.

    Lars
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  12. #12
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Peter, congrats on your new tool/toy/tinker object. Looking back what was your reason for not keeping the D800E, and how is the D810 different?

    Camera arriving tomorrow with a 50/1.8G, a grip, a DK-17M finder magnifier, and a dirt cheap L plate for body only. Also considering 35/1.8G and 85/1.8G at some point, we'll see if my old 85/1.4D stands up to scrutiny.

    Beyond my 20/2.8D I really don't have any wide angle primes as all my landscape work has been with large format. The D810 has just about enough resolution for single-shot panoramics - in my opinion a horizontal panoramic format requires more detail as we tend to examine it closer, in segments, rather than as a single image. 8K wide will do for reasonably wide prints.

    Lars
    Lars,

    especially the shutter in the D810 is much quieter compared to the D800E, also EFC contributes to much less vibrations and thus sharper pictures over all. Plus the absence of any AA filter is a big plus IMHO. Then the grip is more and better pronounced compared to the D800E and also the viewfinder display easier and better to read because it is white instead of green. For me all this sums up as a much smoother and better camera, an also the first photos already show!

    The 1.8 lenses are really good, especially for that price! Nevertheless I will try the 1.4/35 Sigma ART, as this seems to be an outstanding lens as can be seen from lot of reviews, I think easily outperforming mīthe much more expensive 1.4/35 Nikkor.

    But what I am really after are the 80-400 VR2 as well as the 200-500 for wildlife.

    All the best with your D810!

    Peter

  13. #13
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Yep 200-500 seems to be a no-brainer for anyone looking for reach. I'm also eyeing 70-200 f/4 options (Nikon and Tokina), need to research those a bit more as wide-open performance will be crucial. So far it seems that both lenses are decent, Nikon's VR and AF probably has a slight edge over Tokina. For sports/action I usually find myself at the long end of my 80-200, so a 200-500 would probably be my choice for sports.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  14. #14
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Lars,

    If you need the versatility of the zoom in the 70-200 range, the Nikkor f4 is pretty dang good. However, if you don't really need it except for 200, then I reco you look at an older 180/2.8 -- about the same size as the 70-200/4, less weight and 1/4 the cost -- very sweet lens to use with gorgeous rendering and easy to travel with. Sharp centrally with extreme corners going a little soft wide open, but it's a pleasant soft that I find useful for "centering" people. By f4 it's essentially as sharp as the zoom, though it doesn't focus quite as fast.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  15. #15
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Jack - I do have a 180/2.8D, probably my sharpest D series lens on the D700. Whether it holds up at higher resolution remains to be seen.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Lars,

    If you need the versatility of the zoom in the 70-200 range, the Nikkor f4 is pretty dang good. However, if you don't really need it except for 200, then I reco you look at an older 180/2.8 -- about the same size as the 70-200/4, less weight and 1/4 the cost -- very sweet lens to use with gorgeous rendering and easy to travel with. Sharp centrally with extreme corners going a little soft wide open, but it's a pleasant soft that I find useful for "centering" people. By f4 it's essentially as sharp as the zoom, though it doesn't focus quite as fast.
    Spot on, Jack. I use the 180 for travel. When a zoom is needed for sports etc., I have the 80-200 AF-S, which performs best @ f/4-5.6.

    My own plan for an AF zoom lens setup is as follows:

    Sigma 24-35mm f/2
    Nikkor 70-200mm f/4
    Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6
    Some AF 50mm'ish lens, probably Nikkor, Sigma or Tamron. The Tamron looks like a strong contender.

    My current prime setup is:

    Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 (excellent)
    Nikkor 28mm f/2 AiS (mostly sufficient)
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AiS (very good)
    Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AiS (surprisingly good, even @ f/2.0)
    Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AF (what Jack said)
    Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF (wonderful lens, but slow AF and not absolutely sharp @ f/4. will be replaced by a PF when monies allow)
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 2nd November 2015 at 17:57.

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Jack - I do have a 180/2.8D, probably my sharpest D series lens on the D700. Whether it holds up at higher resolution remains to be seen.
    I love that lens! It performs superbly on the D750 (24Mpixel) and F6 (APX 50 film test). I doubt you'll have any problems on the D810. :-)

    G

  18. #18
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Jorgen,
    Looking back, my most used SLR lenses are: 80-200/2.8D (falling apart), 85/1.4D, Sigma 50/1.4 non-Art (love the bokeh, sufficient resolving power on D700). Less used: 180/2.8D (keeper, great but I always tend to pack the 80-200), 135/2 DC (specialty, great lens), 300/4 AF like yours (not a keeper, usually stays at home), 20/2.8D (always in the bag), 16/2.8D Fisheye (great but specialty). Also a Tokina 20-35/2.8 (from the nineties, like everything from that era that zooms it's, ahem, "sharp stopped down" hehe).

    So: 80-200 needs to be replaced, and I'm ok with f/4. 200-500 is great for action sports. Huge gap between 20 and 50 - and my 20 isn't fantastic. 85/1.4D I could do without, it's in good condition so I could possibly replace it with a new 85/1.8G with even better defocus at half the cost. As mentioned above, a travel/walkabout zoom would be nice, and then a 28 or 35 prime of very good quality. Then perhaps a Sigma 50 Art for resolving power. I do prefer AF so Zeiss is not my first choice (but maybe I should reconsider for landscape-dedicated lenses).
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  19. #19
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Jorgen,
    Looking back, my most used SLR lenses are: 80-200/2.8D (falling apart), 85/1.4D, Sigma 50/1.4 non-Art (love the bokeh, sufficient resolving power on D700). Less used: 180/2.8D (keeper, great but I always tend to pack the 80-200), 135/2 DC (specialty, great lens), 300/4 AF like yours (not a keeper, usually stays at home), 20/2.8D (always in the bag), 16/2.8D Fisheye (great but specialty). Also a Tokina 20-35/2.8 (from the nineties, like everything from that era that zooms it's, ahem, "sharp stopped down" hehe).

    So: 80-200 needs to be replaced, and I'm ok with f/4. 200-500 is great for action sports. Huge gap between 20 and 50 - and my 20 isn't fantastic. 85/1.4D I could do without, it's in good condition so I could possibly replace it with a new 85/1.8G with even better defocus at half the cost. As mentioned above, a travel/walkabout zoom would be nice, and then a 28 or 35 prime of very good quality. Then perhaps a Sigma 50 Art for resolving power. I do prefer AF so Zeiss is not my first choice (but maybe I should reconsider for landscape-dedicated lenses).
    As for the gap between 20 and 50, I have considered replacing the 21/28 combo with Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 and 25mm f/2.0. I love the 21mm, but it's large and often too wide or not wide enough. At the moment, I'll let it remain as is though. The choices are more or less limitless between 20 and 28mm these days.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    As for the gap between 20 and 50, I have considered replacing the 21/28 combo with Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 and 25mm f/2.0. I love the 21mm, but it's large and often too wide or not wide enough. At the moment, I'll let it remain as is though. The choices are more or less limitless between 20 and 28mm these days.
    I could go for 20-35-50 I think, with the 35 and 50 being Sigma's 1.4 Art for shallow DOF. Sure, let's throw in a 20/1.4 Art as well.
    20 is good as super-wide for rectilinear single-shot panoramics. Any wider means strange distortion if subject is three-dimensional.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Spot on, Jack. I use the 180 for travel. When a zoom is needed for sports etc., I have the 80-200 AF-S, which performs best @ f/4-5.6.

    My current prime setup is:

    Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 (excellent)
    Nikkor 28mm f/2 AiS (mostly sufficient)
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AiS (very good)
    Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AiS (surprisingly good, even @ f/2.0)
    Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AF (what Jack said)
    Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF (wonderful lens, but slow AF and not absolutely sharp @ f/4. will be replaced by a PF when monies allow)
    Hah - I have the identical set of primes except for the f/2.5 version of the 105 AIS. I also use the 180 when I travel, much less of a hassle than my old 70-200 f2.8 that's for sure. I also have the Sigma Art 35 (Thanks to Jack...:roll eyes

    You're in for a real treat with your D810, Lars. The guys here um, "convinced" me it was time to move up from my D700 and they were right. Only sorry I waited so long - it's a joy to use.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #22
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Hmm delivery company lost the package with the 50/1.8G.
    Not sure how to take that - a hint?
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    After I came back to Nikon with the DF I wanted to kep it simple and built up the following Kit:
    28/1.8G, 35/1.4G, 58/1.4G and I still owned 105/2.0 DC and 180/2.8.
    The one Zoom I got for vacation is the 24-120/4.0
    Often I just bring 35 and 58. I am very happy with this Kit on the DF, I might add a D810 and hope the lenses will work fine on it as well.
    Total Corner sharpness is not as important as nice bokeh, Color, tonality for me.
    Last edited by Paratom; 3rd November 2015 at 03:01.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Package with 50/1.8G was delivered at 6AM this morning... There was some rain yesterday and this is California so why expect delivery to work hehe. The only thing that bugs me about the delayed delivery is that online tracking said the package was delivered last night. Maybe a neighbor got it last night and dropped it off at my door this morning.

    Nice little lens, bokeh is impressive compared to the fifties of old (I'm thinking of you, 50/1.4D). Definitely a huge bargain in the Nikon line. No APO of course as is obvious from the newspaper test shot, but that was not expected at this price point. Rear defocus wide open is excellent in center and at 12mm, not bad at 20 mm. Front defocus is equally good center, that's as far as I got. This could very well replace my Sigma 50 non-Art, bokeh is that good at first glance. Much better than I expected. We'll see about resolving power when I get the D810.

    EDIT: You get what you pay for, of course. Slow focusing, significant fall-off wide open due to internal vignetting (gone at 2.8). No surprises.

    Paratom, nice wish list if little or no budget constraint. I'm guessing you prefer the 35/1.4 over the 28/1.8 not only for focal length? And the 58 is probably one sweet lens.
    Last edited by Lars; 3rd November 2015 at 11:11.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  25. #25
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Just for thread posterity, my current zoom lens stable is the 24-120 and 200-500 --- and as of now, I do not feel the need for anything else. The 180 solved my 70-200 travel zoom issue, as it and the 85 (or 24-120) cover the 2 focals I always end up using on any 70-200 zoom.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #26
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Just for thread posterity, my current zoom lens stable is the 24-120 and 200-500 --- and as of now, I do not feel the need for anything else. The 180 solved my 70-200 travel zoom issue, as it and the 85 (or 24-120) cover the 2 focals I always end up using on any 70-200 zoom.
    Why didn't I think of that?!? I've already ordered the 200-500, I have the 180 and the 24-120 is dirt cheap here. I'll order one right away for pickup with the 200-500 later this month

  27. #27
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    I think that's logical Jorgen. If you find you regularly need something in that 135 to 160 you don't have covered, you can always add the small 70-200 later. But my guess is you won't feel under-gunned with the 24-120 and 180 pair. And heck, the D810 sensor is certainly cropable
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  28. #28
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think that's logical Jorgen. If you find you regularly need something in that 135 to 160 you don't have covered, you can always add the small 70-200 later. But my guess is you won't feel under-gunned with the 24-120 and 180 pair. And heck, the D810 sensor is certainly cropable
    Exactly. I will probably carry a fast 50 or 85mm as well, and the Zeiss 21mm when needed... the options are endless. If I buy the D7200 as a backup body, which is likely before the Singapore Airshow next year, I'll have even more flexibility due to the higher pixel density of that camera. It's all good

  29. #29
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    There was a book in the box, with 524 pages. Tolkien would be proud.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #30
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Just for thread posterity, my current zoom lens stable is the 24-120 and 200-500 --- and as of now, I do not feel the need for anything else. The 180 solved my 70-200 travel zoom issue, as it and the 85 (or 24-120) cover the 2 focals I always end up using on any 70-200 zoom.
    Yeah... How come I start with similar needs and assumptions but reach a different conclusion?

    I think I have gotten used to the concept of a 80-200 zoom for composition. I don't mind taking a few steps with a wide to normal to recompose, but in the tele range that means a lot of steps. I was at a trade show today at the Santa Clara Convention Center, used my 135 to shoot our booth and colleagues - man I had to run around a lot! The 180 would have been even worse. So I like the concept of a handholdable tele zoom. Could be a 75-300 but the 70-200 f/4 offerings are really good, it seems.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Paratom, nice wish list if little or no budget constraint. I'm guessing you prefer the 35/1.4 over the 28/1.8 not only for focal length? And the 58 is probably one sweet lens.
    Actually my idea was to also own a smaller 2 lens setup and I already had a 50/1.8 so I thought the 28/1.8 would fit nicely.
    However in the end I almost allays use 35mm, because I really like the focal length. Sometimes I think I should have taken the 35/1.8 because of the smaller size, but the 35/1.4 has a very nice bokeh and a very good color.

  32. #32
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    First few days with the D810 - at a tech trade show in Santa Clara. Some thoughts:
    - It's nice with a somewhat quiet camera - the D700's KLAK does get attention, especially if using a three-cell battery in the grip.
    - I can't always rely on always using full-res jpegs anymore, I had 100 jpegs to upload at 20 MB each. Maybe shoot raw+small jpeg?
    - Body seems considerably lighter than D700.
    - Trying out video will be fun but I have no real aspirations in that direction (yet).
    - It's no more pocketable than the D700.
    - In-camera raw conversion came handy. Matrix metering didn't quite nail exposure so I was able to fix that and send a good image to our PR folks.
    - All in all, everything is of course faster, lighter, better, more, less etc. Five years between these models so that's to be expected.
    Last edited by Lars; 8th November 2015 at 13:43.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #33
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Checked focus using a few lenses, camera seems good.
    My Sigma 50/1.4 EX won't even try to autofocus in live view, clearly a compatibility issue.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  34. #34
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    After some days of shooting with the D810 it is a real relief being back to a good (excellent) OVF again.

    What also rocks is the much quieter shutter as well as EFC, as I can use the D810 just for casual shooting without too much concentration on holding the camera steady, I am getting a 98% keeper rate, which I never was able to achieve with the D800E, no matter how hard I tried. So this is maybe the biggest improvement over the original D800 for me.

    But also colors are much more spot on, maybe has to do with camera profiles available in LR as well as C1P.

    I am happy I made the move and this camera is so good that I am no longer waiting desperately for a D850/900, as the 36MP are more than enough for almost all my applications. And the sensor and processor really render beautifully!

    Now I need to get some more glass, like the 1.4/58G, 1.4/85G (again) and the 80-400VR2 ....

    Happy camper for now!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #35
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    First test with my 180/2.8D... As expected, it's cut-your-eyes sharp. Wide open, center to corner. I'm thinking I have a good sample here. Definitely a keeper. Need to come up with a more critical test bench.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  36. #36
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Now to pimping my gear:

    - DK-17M magnifying finder thingie - great except for when wearing glasses.

    - ITG display glass protector - this one attaches easily and without adhesive across the entire surface. I'm impressed. Far better than the one on my D700 that has adhesive along the edge - too much reflection. With the better live view on the D810 that becomes quite important.

    - AH-4 strap, a.k.a. The Nikon Glove. It works for me, YMMV.

    - Dovetail plates on the way. I wanted to go RRS but for a simple plate it's not quite worth the premium anymore.

    Next I need to look for a big bag to fit 2 bodies (camera bodies that is), lenses and flashes for the occasional assignment.

    The funny thing is, people discuss cameras here like they are lifelong investments but what I seem to really keep for life is bags, tripods and filters. So maybe that's where it makes sense to invest in quality?
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  37. #37
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Hmm I just found the time lapse function. This is fun. Might have to add a motorized panner to the wishlist.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  38. #38
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    What also rocks is the much quieter shutter as well as EFC, as I can use the D810 just for casual shooting without too much concentration on holding the camera steady, I am getting a 98% keeper rate, which I never was able to achieve with the D800E, no matter how hard I tried. So this is maybe the biggest improvement over the original D800 for me.
    So... handheld, you are using live view with EFC to avoid mirror-up slap and front curtain vibrations?
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  39. #39
    Senior Member danielmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Still holding on to a D800E but it's good to hear all the pluses regarding the successor.

    Lars - "The funny thing is, people discuss cameras here like they are lifelong investments but what I seem to really keep for life is bags, tripods and filters. So maybe that's where it makes sense to invest in quality?"

    So true. I'm still using a bag that's approaching 25 years old, the biggest I could find at the time. Zippers still intact! The tripod though had to be replaced when I got the D800E, it demanded it. Filters, yup, very old indeed and have survived countless cameras/lenses in the interim.

    As with all things modern/digital, I'm very interested to see what comes after the D810, as good as it is. When the used price more closely approaches the used price of my existing camera I'll replace it with one, another year perhaps, unless Nikon goes batshit crazy and puts out a mirrorless FF, EVF, replacement. That'd be too tempting.

    Enjoy it while it's wearing cat's pajamas!

  40. #40
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    So... handheld, you are using live view with EFC to avoid mirror-up slap and front curtain vibrations?
    No live view, no mirror up, just normal shooting with EFC and this it is

  41. #41
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmoore View Post
    So true. I'm still using a bag that's approaching 25 years old, the biggest I could find at the time. Zippers still intact! The tripod though had to be replaced when I got the D800E, it demanded it. Filters, yup, very old indeed and have survived countless cameras/lenses in the interim.

    As with all things modern/digital, I'm very interested to see what comes after the D810, as good as it is. When the used price more closely approaches the used price of my existing camera I'll replace it with one, another year perhaps, unless Nikon goes batshit crazy and puts out a mirrorless FF, EVF, replacement. That'd be too tempting.
    Same for me, I seem to hold bags forever

    WRT D810 successor, I was actually waiting for this but then I decided to go with the D810 for the time being (because I needed) and I am really happy. Well if there is a successor I need to see what it is, if it is mainly more MP it might not be for me, if it is a D810 with a Sony A7RII-like sensor it would be very tempting. But then I need a second body anyway.

    A mirrorless FF Nikon (like the Leica SL but with existing F mount and hopefully a much better price) would make me live in photography heaven

  42. #42
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Well if there is a successor I need to see what it is, if it is mainly more MP it might not be for me, if it is a D810 with a Sony A7RII-like sensor it would be very tempting.
    I think a fairly simple upgrade (no retooling) would be 4K video - doesn't matter for us still shooters but could be important to defend video market share for the Nikon ecosystem. But perhaps that requires a new sensor that can be read at required pace for 4K. Same sensor as A7RII would be nice. With Sony spinning off the chip business that might perhaps be a reasonable expectation?
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  43. #43
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    I think a fairly simple upgrade (no retooling) would be 4K video - doesn't matter for us still shooters but could be important to defend video market share for the Nikon ecosystem. But perhaps that requires a new sensor that can be read at required pace for 4K. Same sensor as A7RII would be nice. With Sony spinning off the chip business that might perhaps be a reasonable expectation?
    Indeed, with Sony spinning off their sensor business there is hope that other vendors can use state of the art sensor technology earlier than today.

  44. #44
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    OK, so I played around with time lapse a bit. 3K shutter actuations. I can see where this is going. How much was shutter replacement, again?

    So - what better reason to dive into MFT? I now have a Lumix GM5 on order - the complete opposite of the D810 - will try time lapse using that one. And it's a bit more pocketable as well.

    GAS setting in...
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #45
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Alright the tiny Lumix GM5 is a great complement to D810, in a David vs Goliath way. I would never call a camera sexy - we know where that leads - but it's definitely cute.

    The GM5 also quite suitable for time lapse, with silent electronic shutter (no shutter to wear out) and decent timer functions, as well as in-body video conversion to quickly verify the results as well as keep the source images (incl raw) for high quality video PP.

    In essence it could be just as much a tool as a toy.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  46. #46
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Alright the tiny Lumix GM5 is a great complement to D810, in a David vs Goliath way. I would never call a camera sexy - we know where that leads - but it's definitely cute.

    The GM5 also quite suitable for time lapse, with silent electronic shutter (no shutter to wear out) and decent timer functions, as well as in-body video conversion to quickly verify the results as well as keep the source images (incl raw) for high quality video PP.

    In essence it could be just as much a tool as a toy.
    Will you use the GM5 with F-mount lenses and a Speed Booster?

  47. #47
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Alright the tiny Lumix GM5 is a great complement to D810, in a David vs Goliath way. I would never call a camera sexy - we know where that leads - but it's definitely cute.

    The GM5 also quite suitable for time lapse, with silent electronic shutter (no shutter to wear out) and decent timer functions, as well as in-body video conversion to quickly verify the results as well as keep the source images (incl raw) for high quality video PP.

    In essence it could be just as much a tool as a toy.
    I bought a GM1 (a bit smaller). It is cute and is quite fitting for the size of the sensor. Yes, I was shocked to find the features. Totally awesome.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #48
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    Hah - I have the identical set of primes except for the f/2.5 version of the 105 AIS.
    Just FWIW: I have found ALL of the 105's -- the f/1.8, f2.0 DF, and f/2.5 all render identically at f2.5 -- which is excellent, and the other two remain nearly as good at f2.0 --- IOW all are outstanding options in AIS or AF-D versions.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #49
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Will you use the GM5 with F-mount lenses and a Speed Booster?
    Maybe down the road - those Metabones are not cheap. The goal here was cost-effective, and small as in pocketable - adding an F-mount lens kinda ruins that. I'll get a cheap straight F mount adapter to see if it makes sense to use my Nikon glass first. And I have some old Pentax lenses to evaluate for the digital age, most notably a 135/2.5 Takumar MC that always seemed sharp back in the film age.

    A speed booster could perhaps bring life into my 12-24/4 DX lens - I rarely shoot DX but an 8-16 on MFT would perhaps be interesting. But not pocketable.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  50. #50
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: D810 on the way - now what?

    Since I mentioned time lapse - for us based in the U.S. there's a sale this week on a motorized panning unit, sells for $42 right now. I ordered two - you never know when you need to mod something.

    360° Panoramic Rotator - Monoprice.com

    This seems to be the same that sells for $99 on the big online sites.

    Build quality seems decent - all metal, reasonably good stepping motor, high quality circuit boards. Should be OK with any DSLR with a short lens as long as the mass is centered.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •