The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 20 F1.4 ART vs Nikon G F 1.8 @ F9 for interiors

archivue

The new Sigma seems better than the 24... i need to buy a 20 to shoot interiors, i really don't need to shoot wide open, and i don't care about bokeh... i need a large Dof, and i need to correct distorsion !

The nikon may be less prone to flare because the front element isn't as prominent as on the sigma ?!

I don't use filters, and i will shoot at f8 to f11 on a tripod using live view most of the time on a D800/D810.

Shall i go for nikon or sigma this time ?

PS : i allready have the 35 and the 50 art...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My biggest gripe on this ART is it's size. It's about as large as a 17-35/2.8 -- which was my 20 before I sold it -- and I sold that because of it's size :LOL:

Tektrader

Jack, I sold my 35 Art for the same reasons. Also the focus was a bit iffy.

The Nikon 35m ED f1.8 is just fine as a replacement and less than half the weight.

Lars

Large DOF means never shoot wide open, right? At f/8 there is probably little difference between these lenses WRT resolution. Unless the Nikon distorts heavily there is no reason to go for the Sigma. Also perhaps consider a Samyang 24 mm tilt/shift, if that works for your use case?

People say the killer app for the Sigma 20/1.4 is astrophotography - if you can shoot wide open with good quality you can reduce exposure or keep a lower ISO, both of which are critical in that use case.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jack, I sold my 35 Art for the same reasons. Also the focus was a bit iffy.

The Nikon 35m ED f1.8 is just fine as a replacement and less than half the weight.
Main reason why I got the 1.8/35 as my main 35 lens. Just love it!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree the 35 Art is largish, but it isn't huge -- and the 20 is HUGE :D. Seriously, if you look at the specs, the 20 is nearly 300 gms heavier than the 35, about 20mm wider and about 30mm longer. Plus I don't need f1.4 in a 20, but like it in the 35 ;)

Swissblad

I agree the 35 Art is largish, but it isn't huge -- and the 20 is HUGE :D. Seriously, if you look at the specs, the 20 is nearly 300 gms heavier than the 35, about 20mm wider and about 30mm longer. Plus I don't need f1.4 in a 20, but like it in the 35 ;)
I have to admit the size is an issue...... will see .....;)

jph

If I was just using it for interiors, the bulk wouldn't bother me as much. It's not like you have to carry it on a trail for a mile. Distortion is important, but they are about the same. Sharpness? At f/9, too close to call. Do you manual focus? If so, you may prefer the Sigma. You should rent one, see if the bulk is too much for what you use it for.

I shoot landscapes, so the bulk and the fact it doesn't take filters are big issues.

archivue

Do you manual focus? If so, you may prefer the Sigma. You should rent one, see if the bulk is too much for what you use it for.
no way to rent it in my area... i don't use filters, and i focus manually... i will probably go for the Sigma !
I've tried the Nikon 14/24... and i wasn't impress by the corners...

I too sold my Sigma 35/1.4 due to size and weight. At a wedding it was, ok, I can deal. But for personal work and travel it was a bear. I hated having the thing around my neck. Currently using the old 35/2D and looking at the 35/1.8G. Honestly though I've found the old 35/2 to be really sharp. Most photogs online don't like the bokeh but I do. I like that classic messy bokeh when I can get it. It renders like a Planar only wider angle. But mostly it's just tiny.

archivue

Finally, i still didn't bought any of these for now... using the Arca Rm3d for my wide angle needs.

But for the record, last week i had the opportunity to test and compare a 14/24 @ 20mm vs a brand new Nikon 20 with a D800.

I was really surprise to find that the zoom was sharper at all F stops compare to the Fixed 20mm... probably a bad sample, because i've read a lot of good stuff about this lens on the net... i've done the test 3 times to make shure... and i've done it with AF adjusted and live view also... always the same results !

I found out that that i didn't like the focusing ring also... so now, i will probably buy the sigma in the near future.

It's quite amazing... when i was younger, sigma wasn't a trusty brand... now, i'm in the process to buy my third one... ( i have the 35 and 50 already )... the bulk and size being the only problem with this pair of lens.

robmac

While the 20 ART is a stellar performer starting WO and is one large hunk of glass, I got rid of ours due to inconsistent focus. Seemed to have a mind of it's own and I had no patience for trying multiple copies, hopefully finding a 'good' one and keeping my fingers crossed it stayed that way over time.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another "20" that I would consider is the Zeiss 21mm. One thing is that it's amazingly sharp. More important is the colour, contrast and general rendering. It was my go-to wide angle on the D810. I'll start trying it out on the D700, a camera that tend to deliver more "punchy" images than its newer sibling.

routlaw

Another "20" that I would consider is the Zeiss 21mm. One thing is that it's amazingly sharp. More important is the colour, contrast and general rendering. It was my go-to wide angle on the D810. I'll start trying it out on the D700, a camera that tend to deliver more "punchy" images than its newer sibling.
I totally agree with this, I have it too and the image quality is outstanding from corner to corner.

Niels_Patrick

I own the Nikon 14-24 and the new Sigma 20mm 1.4 – hard desission.... I prefare the wide angle of 14mm and the look of 1.4. This shot was made with Sigma Art 20mm at 1.4 and Nikon d810

Attachments

archivue

after having tested a bad new sample of the nikon version, i went with the sigma 20 ART, and so far so good... and manual focusing with it is so much better than with the nikon.
maybe the 85 art will be my next purchase...