The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D4s advice needed

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jørgen, I'm in the same boat - still using my D700 with BP for action work - I really like the combo - but an increased buffer would be nice.

That said, I took some portraits this morning with the D700 and the clients or should I rather say, willing volunteers, were very impressed......:thumbup:
The D700 is still a very nice camera, and at today's prices, it's a real bargain for an assortment of jobs. From a money making point of view, the buffer is really my only serious problem with it. High ISO and DR are obviously a bit 2008, but it's better than the D2Xs :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It just might have been a blessing in disguise ;)
Impossible to say, Jack. I would have known after a few years. I'll spend some of what I saved one faster cards for the D700, increasing the buffer capacity and shortening the flush time of that camera, and probably the 200-500mm f/5.6. Short term, those are more useful, and more profitable, investments anyway.

Lars

BTW - Jorgen, you shoot JPEG only to maximize throughput, right? I've always shot Raw+Jpeg but switched off Raw on my D700 at the Frisbee competition in August - massive difference at 8 fps.

Side note - if I switch off raw on my new little Lumix GM5 and shoot at 8 fps then it overheats the sensor and shuts down before buffer is full - about 60 frames. Size and compromise go hand in hand.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
BTW - Jorgen, you shoot JPEG only to maximize throughput, right? I've always shot Raw+Jpeg but switched off Raw on my D700 at the Frisbee competition in August - massive difference at 8 fps.

Side note - if I switch off raw on my new little Lumix GM5 and shoot at 8 fps then it overheats the sensor and shuts down before buffer is full - about 60 frames. Size and compromise go hand in hand.
I shoot RAW only. I often shoot under difficult lighting conditions, and need all the leeway I can get, like with the jetskiers where the skier is sometimes 2 stops underexposed, while the background is a stop or more overexposed. Plus, my lenses are sometimes too short, and jpeg compressions sometimes kills the details I need when cropping and enlarging the part of the photo that I need.

If I were shooting jpeg only, I wouldn't have a buffer problem at all.

Lars

I shoot RAW only. I often shoot under difficult lighting conditions, and need all the leeway I can get, like with the jetskiers where the skier is sometimes 2 stops underexposed, while the background is a stop or more overexposed. Plus, my lenses are sometimes too short, and jpeg compressions sometimes kills the details I need when cropping and enlarging the part of the photo that I need.

If I were shooting jpeg only, I wouldn't have a buffer problem at all.
What, you're not a slide film shooter? :D don't like the fear of not nailing each exposure? Totally understandable.

But maybe, just maybe you should (once again) consider not shooting raw in rare occasions that demand more buffer than DR. Just a thought, which I'm sure you have had from time to time.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What, you're not a slide film shooter? :D don't like the fear of not nailing each exposure? Totally understandable.

But maybe, just maybe you should (once again) consider not shooting raw in rare occasions that demand more buffer than DR. Just a thought, which I'm sure you have had from time to time.
The last time I shot jpeg with a DSLR was around ten years ago, when a few thousand people, some in yellow, some i sky blue and the rest in red, white and blue t-shirts, marched across a large, new motorway bridge over the river in Bangkok, a huge suspension bridge with 4 towers, a few weeks before the opening. It was a grand occasion and can never be repeated. The designer of the bridge is a friend of mine. The sun was shining from a perfect blue sky, and I shot the whole event at 3000 Kelvin :(