Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: The D5 monster i coming

  1. #51
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: The D5 monster i coming

    Mega ISO... who would've thunk

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: The D5 monster i coming

    Interesting "gnats" buzzing around his camera

    Yep, this is a "niche" offering double duh! That's the point. It is a machine dedicated to a purpose, and designed to do it in as un-compromised manner as current technology can reasonably give us.

    Personally, I don't see this camera as a "lap-dog" you trot out to pet, but rarely use at least I never knew any user of this type camera to do so. It's a highly disciplined "Dog of War" you unleash when needed

    Frankly, I don't need to "emotionally bond" with a camera like this. I just need it to dispassionately do what I want, when I want making "trust" the only emotion I want to feel about it.

    "Is it that much of a "White Elephant?" Maybe to those who view gear as some stand alone financial investment, which is primarily an amateur's POV doomed to failure regardless which digital camera they get. However, this is a Pro camera designed to earn money for the owner, making it an investment in the user, not the camera.

    EVF verses OVF meh.

    EVF are too slow for this type camera. As far as I know, Sony still hasn't separated the Frozen Viewfinder from the LCD Review for quick glance confirmation while in the heat of shooting. You have to set them for viewfinder priority with no LCD display, forcing you to press a button to see the last shot okay for "leisure time shooters" but not okay for speed dependent work especially tiny unlit buttons in lower light, or with gloves on. Been there done that.

    One other Pro consideration that may not occur to many here.

    Importantly, this camera can be viewed as a killer studio/location camera for many applications involving lighting. FF 20 meg at lower ISOs is plenty for a vast majority of commercial fashion and action type location work. I employ Profoto AIR lighting with TTL/HSS capabilities available only if I use a Nikon or Canon camera. No Sony AIR TTL transceivers are available, and none are planed. We also use Hensel lighting with Freemask, which requires a really high frame rate to more effectively work it's masking magic our Sony's are to slow to do this in the best way possible.

    "Horses for courses" or maybe I should say ponies are okay for a lot of stuff, but some may need a "Secretariat" to stay the course

    - Marc
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #53
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: The D5 monster i coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I bought my D2Xs from one of those guys, 5,000 clicks an 90% below new price 4 or 5 years ago, and was offered a D4s at around half price with a similar number of clicks just a month ago from a similar source. Keep them coming, says I
    Some have become that ideal of a "pro" camera and never get used. So that 5000 clicks sample was one of those with one charged battery you mentioned? Great catch!

    Nostalgia makes me look at the Nikon logo with fondness and I still have loads more of Nikon gear than many of the retired guys still kicking about.

  4. #54
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: The D5 monster i coming

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Interesting "gnats" buzzing around his camera

    Yep, this is a "niche" offering double duh! That's the point. It is a machine dedicated to a purpose, and designed to do it in as un-compromised manner as current technology can reasonably give us.

    Personally, I don't see this camera as a "lap-dog" you trot out to pet, but rarely use at least I never knew any user of this type camera to do so. It's a highly disciplined "Dog of War" you unleash when needed

    Frankly, I don't need to "emotionally bond" with a camera like this. I just need it to dispassionately do what I want, when I want making "trust" the only emotion I want to feel about it.

    "Is it that much of a "White Elephant?" Maybe to those who view gear as some stand alone financial investment, which is primarily an amateur's POV doomed to failure regardless which digital camera they get. However, this is a Pro camera designed to earn money for the owner, making it an investment in the user, not the camera.

    EVF verses OVF meh.

    EVF are too slow for this type camera. As far as I know, Sony still hasn't separated the Frozen Viewfinder from the LCD Review for quick glance confirmation while in the heat of shooting. You have to set them for viewfinder priority with no LCD display, forcing you to press a button to see the last shot okay for "leisure time shooters" but not okay for speed dependent work especially tiny unlit buttons in lower light, or with gloves on. Been there done that.

    One other Pro consideration that may not occur to many here.

    Importantly, this camera can be viewed as a killer studio/location camera for many applications involving lighting. FF 20 meg at lower ISOs is plenty for a vast majority of commercial fashion and action type location work. I employ Profoto AIR lighting with TTL/HSS capabilities available only if I use a Nikon or Canon camera. No Sony AIR TTL transceivers are available, and none are planed. We also use Hensel lighting with Freemask, which requires a really high frame rate to more effectively work it's masking magic our Sony's are to slow to do this in the best way possible.

    "Horses for courses" or maybe I should say ponies are okay for a lot of stuff, but some may need a "Secretariat" to stay the course

    - Marc
    You are right all the way of course, Marc, and this is why I'm tempted by cameras like this and still use the D2Xs. I know it won't break if I drop it on the tarmac or on a wet beach, and I do sometimes when things are moving fast. I also know that when I bump into other photographers, my camera is not the one that will break and my memory card door is not the one that will accidentally open. It's so reassuring to work with gear like this. The confidence is total. When something fails, it's me, not the gear.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The D5 monster i coming

    Hah, for the first time i think this beast is the worthy digital representation of what the Nikon F5 was for me.

    Well done Nikon, keep moving.

    Cheers,
    Ralf
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #56
    Senior Member Swissblad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The D5 monster i coming

    Quote Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
    Hah, for the first time i think this beast is the worthy digital representation of what the Nikon F5 was for me.

    Well done Nikon, keep moving.

    Cheers,
    Ralf
    The F5 was indeed an iconic camera - never got the chance of owning one....out of my price range at the time.... pity.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #57
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: The D5 monster i coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    The F5 was indeed an iconic camera - never got the chance of owning one....out of my price range at the time.... pity.
    A mint F5 is amazingly cheap now. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for mine, but it wasn't more than a few hundred dollars. That was a couple years ago. Probably even less now.

    Gary

    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #58
    Senior Member Swissblad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The D5 monster i coming

    For a good review and stunning images take a look at

    http://oleliodden.com/photo-gear/fie...port-nikon-d5/
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #59
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: The D5 monster i coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    For a good review and stunning images take a look at

    http://oleliodden.com/photo-gear/fie...port-nikon-d5/
    I believe him

    Now... where is that stash of thousand dollar bills that I dreamed about the other day...
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •