The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The D5 monster i coming

Hulyss Bowman

I'm just tired by the EVF argumentators. I use Nikon, Nikon do not use EVF technology and I think most of us are fine with it. I do not go on Sony forum to say "HEY DUDES !! Would be cool if SONY make a proper OVF no ??"

The D5 and the D500 are truly a very good new in the Nikon verse. EVF have his utility, yes, but it is not a Nikon thing.

And we might see a D700 like camera by the end of the year so the D5 "Price tag" will not be a "problem". What about the price tag of other brands ?...

V

Vivek

I'm just tired by the EVF argumentators. I use Nikon, Nikon do not use EVF technology and I think most of us are fine with it. I do not go on Sony forum to say "HEY DUDES !! Would be cool if SONY make a proper OVF no ??"

The D5 and the D500 are truly a very good new in the Nikon verse. EVF have his utility, yes, but it is not a Nikon thing.

And we might see a D700 like camera by the end of the year so the D5 "Price tag" will not be a "problem". What about the price tag of other brands ?...
As long as you discount coming to :cry: in Sony threads about lack of traffic here, sure. :)

nikon 1 (some models) have EVF. Just because you may not use them does not mean they do not exist or Nikon donot make EVF based products. :)

Last edited:

Godfrey

The D5 looks to be a superbly designed camera, a typical solid offering by Nikon in their high end line.

I'm quite satisfied with the gear I presently have and don't really need the additional benefits and features that the D5 offers, but I applaud Nikon continuing to develop and offer this level of performance and quality in their equipment. It's nice to know that such equipment options are available if and when they are needed.

G

D&A

The D series of Pro Nikon Cameras are such that I do not bond to them like I do say shooting with a Leica and some others. Yet when push comes to shove and I have to shoot an event or performance that is both extremely demanding and under conditions that few cameras would be able to keep up with or capture particular scenes or performers, for myself, nothing has come through, with the day in and day out consistancy and performance of these Nikon's D cameras.

For much else or certain other specific requirements or simply personal desires, I would more than likely pick up something else when walking out the door. Each camera and system has its particular strengths and its a matter of picking the one for a given use that helps one reach desired objectives.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The D5 is the camera is a marvelous camera! Especially the AF system seems to have grown more than mature finally. If I could like I want I would buy it in a heartbeat. The ideal tool for event and wildlife, my main shooting scenarios.

This camera in combination with the D500 to extend reach easily and a D810 (or D850 with the AF system of the D5/D500) for high res shots would make me completely happy.

Last edited:

Swissblad

At times it would be nice to have an unlike button.... sheesh.... how can one stop this :wtf::SPAM:

Grow up and go an p*ss on your own parade.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Is it that much of a white elephant then? :LOL:
I bought my D2Xs from one of those guys, 5,000 clicks an 90% below new price 4 or 5 years ago, and was offered a D4s at around half price with a similar number of clicks just a month ago from a similar source. Keep them coming, says I :D

fotografz

Interesting "gnats" buzzing around his camera:ROTFL:

Yep, this is a "niche" offering … double duh! That's the point. It is a machine dedicated to a purpose, and designed to do it in as un-compromised manner as current technology can reasonably give us.

Personally, I don't see this camera as a "lap-dog" you trot out to pet, but rarely use … at least I never knew any user of this type camera to do so. It's a highly disciplined "Dog of War" you unleash when needed:rolleyes:

Frankly, I don't need to "emotionally bond" with a camera like this. I just need it to dispassionately do what I want, when I want … making "trust" the only emotion I want to feel about it.

"Is it that much of a "White Elephant?" Maybe to those who view gear as some stand alone financial investment, which is primarily an amateur's POV doomed to failure regardless which digital camera they get. However, this is a Pro camera designed to earn money for the owner, making it an investment in the user, not the camera.

EVF verses OVF … meh.

EVF are too slow for this type camera. As far as I know, Sony still hasn't separated the Frozen Viewfinder from the LCD Review for quick glance confirmation while in the heat of shooting. You have to set them for viewfinder priority with no LCD display, forcing you to press a button to see the last shot … okay for "leisure time shooters" but not okay for speed dependent work … especially tiny unlit buttons in lower light, or with gloves on. Been there done that.

One other Pro consideration that may not occur to many here.

Importantly, this camera can be viewed as a killer studio/location camera for many applications involving lighting. FF 20 meg at lower ISOs is plenty for a vast majority of commercial fashion and action type location work. I employ Profoto AIR lighting with TTL/HSS capabilities … available only if I use a Nikon or Canon camera. No Sony AIR TTL transceivers are available, and none are planed. We also use Hensel lighting with Freemask, which requires a really high frame rate to more effectively work it's masking magic … our Sony's are to slow to do this in the best way possible.

"Horses for courses" … or maybe I should say … ponies are okay for a lot of stuff, but some may need a "Secretariat" to stay the course:cool:

- Marc

V

Vivek

I bought my D2Xs from one of those guys, 5,000 clicks an 90% below new price 4 or 5 years ago, and was offered a D4s at around half price with a similar number of clicks just a month ago from a similar source. Keep them coming, says I :D
Some have become that ideal of a "pro" camera and never get used. So that 5000 clicks sample was one of those with one charged battery you mentioned? Great catch! :)

Nostalgia makes me look at the Nikon logo with fondness and I still have loads more of Nikon gear than many of the retired guys still kicking about. :grin:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting "gnats" buzzing around his camera:ROTFL:

Yep, this is a "niche" offering … double duh! That's the point. It is a machine dedicated to a purpose, and designed to do it in as un-compromised manner as current technology can reasonably give us.

Personally, I don't see this camera as a "lap-dog" you trot out to pet, but rarely use … at least I never knew any user of this type camera to do so. It's a highly disciplined "Dog of War" you unleash when needed:rolleyes:

Frankly, I don't need to "emotionally bond" with a camera like this. I just need it to dispassionately do what I want, when I want … making "trust" the only emotion I want to feel about it.

"Is it that much of a "White Elephant?" Maybe to those who view gear as some stand alone financial investment, which is primarily an amateur's POV doomed to failure regardless which digital camera they get. However, this is a Pro camera designed to earn money for the owner, making it an investment in the user, not the camera.

EVF verses OVF … meh.

EVF are too slow for this type camera. As far as I know, Sony still hasn't separated the Frozen Viewfinder from the LCD Review for quick glance confirmation while in the heat of shooting. You have to set them for viewfinder priority with no LCD display, forcing you to press a button to see the last shot … okay for "leisure time shooters" but not okay for speed dependent work … especially tiny unlit buttons in lower light, or with gloves on. Been there done that.

One other Pro consideration that may not occur to many here.

Importantly, this camera can be viewed as a killer studio/location camera for many applications involving lighting. FF 20 meg at lower ISOs is plenty for a vast majority of commercial fashion and action type location work. I employ Profoto AIR lighting with TTL/HSS capabilities … available only if I use a Nikon or Canon camera. No Sony AIR TTL transceivers are available, and none are planed. We also use Hensel lighting with Freemask, which requires a really high frame rate to more effectively work it's masking magic … our Sony's are to slow to do this in the best way possible.

"Horses for courses" … or maybe I should say … ponies are okay for a lot of stuff, but some may need a "Secretariat" to stay the course:cool:

- Marc
You are right all the way of course, Marc, and this is why I'm tempted by cameras like this and still use the D2Xs. I know it won't break if I drop it on the tarmac or on a wet beach, and I do sometimes when things are moving fast. I also know that when I bump into other photographers, my camera is not the one that will break and my memory card door is not the one that will accidentally open. It's so reassuring to work with gear like this. The confidence is total. When something fails, it's me, not the gear.

rmueller

Hah, for the first time i think this beast is the worthy digital representation of what the Nikon F5 was for me.

Well done Nikon, keep moving.

Cheers,
Ralf

Swissblad

Hah, for the first time i think this beast is the worthy digital representation of what the Nikon F5 was for me.

Well done Nikon, keep moving.

Cheers,
Ralf
The F5 was indeed an iconic camera - never got the chance of owning one....out of my price range at the time.... pity.

bensonga

The F5 was indeed an iconic camera - never got the chance of owning one....out of my price range at the time.... pity.
A mint F5 is amazingly cheap now. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for mine, but it wasn't more than a few hundred dollars. That was a couple years ago. Probably even less now.

Gary