The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portrait lens other than Nikon?

woodyspedden

Personally I love the Zeiss 100 2.0 ZF1.2. Sharp, great colors and though appearing large is not heavy (comparatively) and a cinch for manual focus. Just my HO.

Woody

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Hi Woody, nice to see you again here on the F mount board :)

Are you still shooting some F mount gear, I thought you had primarily taken the Fuji X mount Route ?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Leica R 80/1.4 Summilux converted to Nikon F mount using Leitax mount . Photo on D810 .

2nd Choice would be the new Nikon 105/1.4AF lens ..which is as good as I ve seen at this focal length . The new Nikon AF on the D5 and D500 is so good you can always shoot wide open with a spot focus setting and never miss . (Not exaggerating ). Next round of Nikon D8XX bodies will have this system.

FYI ..I gave up using manual focus lenses on the Nikon bodies because the screens just aren t up to it (in many but not all situations) (and I have good eyes). Just converted my R lenses back to Leica mount to use on Leica SL (where I will have focus peaking and can zoom in to check focus ).

Attachments

jsf

_DSC0768 as Smart Object-1RMH PERFECT PORTRAIT.jpg

Nikon d800e with 135 DC at f/5.6 3200 ISO and cropped so this represents about 1/3 of the image. I would say that sharp, sharp really sharp lenses when it comes to portraiture are too sharp. But saying that the dc 135 seems as sharp as any of my other Nikkor lenses.

This is a portrait of a friend of ours, but it is what I am doing with studio portraiture now.

woodyspedden

I'm looking for a portrait lens, focal length longer than 85. Has anyone successfully adapted one of the Hasselblad lenses and if so, are you happy with the results?
Any other recommendations?
Thanks for all replies.
John

I am using the Hassy V 110 2.0 very successfully wtih my D810. Was, and still is, a wonderful portrait lens. I also have the Zeiss ZF1.2 100mm 2.0 and quite like it as well. But there is just some magic in the Hassy

Woody Spedden

DB5

The Pentax 105 2.4 is one of the best, but only on film.

Adapted to digital the CA is pretty bad.

it deserves it's place where it was born and nothing will compare - full frame 6x7.

jduncan

I'm looking for a portrait lens, focal length longer than 85. Has anyone successfully adapted one of the Hasselblad lenses and if so, are you happy with the results?
Any other recommendations?
Thanks for all replies.

Hi,

from your idea of using the Hasselblad lenses, my guess is that you don't have an issue with manual focus. So I will suggest:

1. The Zeiss 135mm f2.0
2. Samyang 135mm f2.0 optically this is an excellent lens. In some technical regards, it's better than the Zeiss and less expensive. But it will not render the way the Zeiss do.

Can I know why you don't want a Nikon lens ? is it about price? If that is the case, an option would be the 300mm f4.0 (old). Some people love the 180mm f2.8 but it's not without its flaws.

Best regards,