Site Sponsors

Thread: Portrait lens other than Nikon?

Post Thanks / Like

Portrait lens other than Nikon?

I'm looking for a portrait lens, focal length longer than 85. Has anyone successfully adapted one of the Hasselblad lenses and if so, are you happy with the results?
    Any other recommendations?
    Thanks for all replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Portrait lens other than Nikon?

Hi John

I cannot comment on using a HB lens - other than it would be huge and awkward on a 35mm body.

There is a strong rumour of a Sigma 135mm f1.8 / f2.0 ART lens in the making - which would be great.

Other than that there are the Tamron/Sigma/Nikon 90-105mm macros.

I went the other route and ordered a new Nikkor 85mm f1.8 - as it was on sale....

Hope you find something suitable!

Cheers, S

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi John,

Probably depends upon the distance that you will be from your subject ... and
    whether you are after a head head and shoulders or full length portrait.

105 or 135 unless you have a gymnasium for a studio or are outside with enough
    light outside of the picture area to work then perhaps the 200 or 300 range.

Nikon ... 105 DC 105 Macro or 200 Macro 300 F 2.8 or 4.0

Zeiss 100 Macro or 135 F 2 ZF.2s

Pentax 67 105 F 2.4 - gorgeous very sharp with outstanding bokeh ... an adapter for
    P67 to Nikon ... the lens is compact short throw focus and looks like a Summilux in OOF areas
    at wide open.

Newer Sigmas are great their macros very sharp with good contrast.

The smallest extension ring with a 50 or the above gives you very shallow DOF if that is
    what you are after ... but it adds an element to you lens that obviates a specialized lens
    in addition to a portrait short tele ...

The new 85 F 1.8 is in some ways better corrected than the 1.4 ... but you want longer.

Another element could be the 85 PC-E TS lens ... throwing the focal plane out to enhance
    the sharp elements of the portrait.

My favorites would be the Zeiss 135 or 100 Macro and the P676 105 ... softening the former in
    post or adding a softening filter as needed.

Regards,

Bob
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot the 2 nikkor DC lenses.... a bit long in the tooth .... but still great for portraits.

If you really want to go to an extreme - I can highly recommend the new Nikkor 300mm f4.0 PF lens - a stunner.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikkor 105 or 135mm f/2.0 DC. The shorter is the sharper, but this are, and will always be, great portrait lenses. That's what they are built for. Prices are reasonable too, compared to more modern offerings.

I use the Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AiS. That, and the f/2.5 version, are bargains if you can live with manual focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone for your replies.
    Jorgen, I prefer manual focus
    I have the 105 2.5 Ai and the 300. I've shot with the Zeiss 135 f2 which is nice but too heavy. I had the 85 1.4G but sold it - lovely results but difficult to focus manually because the throw is so short. The old Pentax sounds good as does the Zeiss 100 Makro (I already have the 50 Makro - damn fine lens but I don't use it much since I got the 55 Otus) The old DC lenses have some appeal...
    The reason I asked about the Hasselblad is there is someone on the Leica forum who uses a 100 on a Leica S and produces very dreamy images. Although he uses an H mount lens and I've seen B&H only carries a V mount adapter. And musing out loud, not so sure these lenses would produce the same OOF on a 35mm as you would be getting pretty much the sweet spot and all of the area outside the 35mm frame would not come into play in capturing the image.
    And I suppose a Leica R lens could be a candidate, too.
    So, it seems there are many candidates - now to make a choice I can love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

If you can find one, the Hasselblad 110 f2.0 F or FE T* lens is excellent with gorgeous bokeh character. (Hassy F/FE lenses are V mount lenses without built in shutters made for the focal plane shuttered F body. As such they are also generally a stop or 2 faster than comparable V lenses. You cannot adapt H mount Hassy without some form of electronic coupling to drive the aperture, and Leica made such for the S to expand their limited S lens line.)

But that said, I don't believe it's significantly better than the Nikkor 105DC which is going to be less than the price. And the DC is of course auto everything, while the adapted Hassy is manual every-thing including stop-down metering. (FWIW comment: A misunderstood feature of the DC is what exactly the DC does. In practice, it alters the bokeh character by allowing you to "move" the DOF zone fore or aft of the subject focus point and thus bias bokeh rendering to your preference. My personal preference for portraits is to bias it to the rear by half the aperture I'm shooting at. So if I'm doing a portrait at f5.6, I'll set the DC ring to minus 2.8.) I love this lens for head and shoulder portraits.

For faces I like the Nikkor 180/2.8 AF-D lens. It renders a very complimentary flattening and smoothing of features with outstanding bokeh.

And you can own both of these Nikkors for probably still less than the Hassy 110 F lens, for whatever that's worth...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jack

Thanks for the info - I seriously need to have a look at those DC lenses.

Cheers, S

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For whatever it's worth, I have never personally tried the 135 DC, but have heard mixed reviews on it -- seems the focus can be iffy/sloppy. By contrast, the 105 is generally more highly regarded among actual users.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is a pity - 135mm really is a nice focal length for portraits - I used to have an old Asahi Pentax version many many moons ago......

Hopefully Sigma will do a fast ART version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pity you don't live in Thailand. Here, partly due to the exchange rates, the 105 DC is the equivalent of $850 new at the moment, and I bought my almost mint 180mm for $350 earlier this year. There's a Zeiss/Hasselblad 110mm f/2 for sale at the Great Big Auction Site for $2,450. Maybe I should buy that 105mm while the price is still low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's also the long discontinued Spiratone 135mm f/1.8. It's a very interesting lens, and surprisingly usable.

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1990.html

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...%20135mm%201.8

Post Thanks / Like

Pentax 67 105 F 2.4 is jaw dropping and i have it.

I would pick up a pentax 67 II body and that lens.

no digital Nikon is going to match that combo and the two will only appreciate in value

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trioderob View Post
    Pentax 67 105 F 2.4 is jaw dropping and i have it.

I would pick up a pentax 67 II body and that lens.

no digital Nikon is going to match that combo and the two will only appreciate in value
    Now we're talking. And some Tri-X too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Now we're talking. And some Tri-X too
    Is there an adaptor for the Pentax to Nikon D810 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rollsman44 View Post
    Is there an adaptor for the Pentax to Nikon D810 ?
    Click the B&H link on our forum homepage (we get brownie points and a few shekels from each sale that help run this site!) and search for Fotodiox, Pentax to Nikon -- about $79 later you are set
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

The Voigtlander 180/4.0 is also a very nice portrait lens. It is really compact but most of all has a lovely rendering especially of OOF areas. It's price has gone up over the years but still isn't anywhere near the insane prices of the 125macro. I picked one up years ago, don't use it that much but I am always pleasantly surprised when I do use it.

Recently I saw some images passing by from a Polish photographer that converted a Contax 50/1.4 to Nikon which seems to be a somewhat difficult task. These images made me really lust for doing the same thing. 50 isn't really a portrait lens focal length though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, the 85/1.4G is still my favorite portrait lens. For older faces, I usually go to my 105DC -- it's still laser sharp but can be dialed back with the DF ring, but it also flattens perspective out just a tad which somehow enhances character. Finally for when I want more working distance, like for kids candids, I really like the 180/2.8D (late) Nikkor wide open. My 4th choice is the 85mm Petzvl, especially like for old fashioned look -- but it's a PITA to use well and needs some experimentation and patience for good results.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 125mm f/2.5

Post Thanks / Like

For me the perfect portrait lens for Nikon would be the 1.4/85G - this is a stellar lens, easily as good as any Zeiss design.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally I love the Zeiss 100 2.0 ZF1.2. Sharp, great colors and though appearing large is not heavy (comparatively) and a cinch for manual focus. Just my HO.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Portrait lens other than Nikon?

Hi Woody, nice to see you again here on the F mount board

Are you still shooting some F mount gear, I thought you had primarily taken the Fuji X mount Route ?

Post Thanks / Like

Leica R 80/1.4 Summilux converted to Nikon F mount using Leitax mount . Photo on D810 .

2nd Choice would be the new Nikon 105/1.4AF lens ..which is as good as I ve seen at this focal length . The new Nikon AF on the D5 and D500 is so good you can always shoot wide open with a spot focus setting and never miss . (Not exaggerating ). Next round of Nikon D8XX bodies will have this system.

FYI ..I gave up using manual focus lenses on the Nikon bodies because the screens just aren t up to it (in many but not all situations) (and I have good eyes). Just converted my R lenses back to Leica mount to use on Leica SL (where I will have focus peaking and can zoom in to check focus ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luke&Higgins-1336 copy.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	827.5 KB 
ID:	124214  
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0768 as Smart Object-1RMH PERFECT PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	124216

Nikon d800e with 135 DC at f/5.6 3200 ISO and cropped so this represents about 1/3 of the image. I would say that sharp, sharp really sharp lenses when it comes to portraiture are too sharp. But saying that the dc 135 seems as sharp as any of my other Nikkor lenses.

This is a portrait of a friend of ours, but it is what I am doing with studio portraiture now.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    I'm looking for a portrait lens, focal length longer than 85. Has anyone successfully adapted one of the Hasselblad lenses and if so, are you happy with the results?
    Thanks for all replies.
    John

I am using the Hassy V 110 2.0 very successfully wtih my D810. Was, and still is, a wonderful portrait lens. I also have the Zeiss ZF1.2 100mm 2.0 and quite like it as well. But there is just some magic in the Hassy

Woody Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

The Pentax 105 2.4 is one of the best, but only on film.

Adapted to digital the CA is pretty bad.

it deserves it's place where it was born and nothing will compare - full frame 6x7.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Thanks for all replies.

Hi,

from your idea of using the Hasselblad lenses, my guess is that you don't have an issue with manual focus. So I will suggest:

1. The Zeiss 135mm f2.0
    2. Samyang 135mm f2.0 optically this is an excellent lens. In some technical regards, it's better than the Zeiss and less expensive. But it will not render the way the Zeiss do.

Can I know why you don't want a Nikon lens ? is it about price? If that is the case, an option would be the 300mm f4.0 (old). Some people love the 180mm f2.8 but it's not without its flaws.

Best regards,