Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: D500 announced

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D500 announced

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    To me, the D500 looks a bit like a Swiss Army Knife where each tool works almost as well as a full size, professional version

If I can't get it within three weeks, I don't really need it this side of the summer. Still, I have a feeling that it will be hard to resist.
    Why do you need it within 3 weeks? This camera will be the flagship APSC for the next 5-6 years when Nikon repeats the update cycle of the D300s

Anyway I am very tempted by the D500, and it would be the far more logical solution/decision for me, given that I have opted back into Nikon land again and could finally concentrate on slowly but constantly building up this ecosystem for just my own needs. And there the D500 would play a significant role!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Why do you need it within 3 weeks? This camera will be the flagship APSC for the next 5-6 years when Nikon repeats the update cycle of the D300s

Anyway I am very tempted by the D500, and it would be the far more logical solution/decision for me, given that I have opted back into Nikon land again and could finally concentrate on slowly but constantly building up this ecosystem for just my own needs. And there the D500 would play a significant role!
    Because I'm going to a major airshow in three weeks, and my next action/sports photography that will bring any serious income is probably more than 6 months away. I do have other bodies that can handle minor sports events.

Post Thanks / Like

Because I'm going to a major airshow in three weeks, and my next action/sports photography that will bring any serious income is probably more than 6 months away. I do have other bodies that can handle minor sports events.
    Just as an idea, I would try to get a demo D500 either from your closest Nikon rep (Nikon Thailand???) or maybe the major store you are always buying. So even if the camera is not regularly shipping, try to push for that, Nikon should be happy and proud to support a real photographer for a real typical shooting situation of the D500!

And we could benefit here from your experiences ( as well as Nikon could of course)!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Just as an idea, I would try to get a demo D500 either from your closest Nikon rep (Nikon Thailand???) or maybe the major store you are always buying. So even if the camera is not regularly shipping, try to push for that, Nikon should be happy and proud to support a real photographer for a real typical shooting situation of the D500!

And we could benefit here from your experiences ( as well as Nikon could of course)!
    It's worth an attempt, particularly since I'm going downtown to buy the 200-500mm before I leave for the show anyway. Thank you for reminding me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, as an alternative how about running the D810 in crop mode for the show, would that work? It seems to have decent frame rate in DX.

BTW just saw this quoute on Nikon Rumors - obviously from Nikon UK:

"Although aimed at ‘advanced enthusiasts and professional photographers’, amateurs may have to wait to get hold of the 20.9-million-pixel camera when 
it goes on sale in March, priced 1,729.99 (body only). ‘Due to the anticipated high demand for this new flagship DX DSLR, we will be prioritising pre-orders placed by Nikon Professional Services members and Nikon Professional Users,’ said Simon Iddon, head of product management at Nikon UK."
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Jorgen, as an alternative how about running the D810 in crop mode for the show, would that work? It seems to have decent frame rate in DX.

BTW just saw this quoute on Nikon Rumors - obviously from Nikon UK:

"Although aimed at ‘advanced enthusiasts and professional photographers’, amateurs may have to wait to get hold of the 20.9-million-pixel camera when 
it goes on sale in March, priced 1,729.99 (body only). ‘Due to the anticipated high demand for this new flagship DX DSLR, we will be prioritising pre-orders placed by Nikon Professional Services members and Nikon Professional Users,’ said Simon Iddon, head of product management at Nikon UK."
    The D810 in crop mode is an alternative I'm considering, and I have even been thinking about getting a second D810 instead of a D500.

The advantages of the crop mode are several, the most important being faster frame rate (6fps) and at least twice as much buffer space. Being able to see what is going on outside the frame can be an advantage too. Buffer space is actually the most important, since show sequences at airshows tend to last 10-20 seconds. Running out of space is a frequent problem with older cameras.

The disadvantage is mainly that the "effective" viewfinder becomes rather small.

What I will do in any case is to buy the fastest cards possible, but here's another dilemma: The relatively expensive fast CF cards for the D810 aren't usable with a future D500. That's another argument for a second D810 of course

The most important argument for a second D810 though, is that it's the best all round camera. It offers the highest resolution, probably still the best low ISO while at the same time being able to double as an action camera in crop mode. And it's identical with the one I already have. I worry about the new position of the ISO button.

Finally, I could just stay with my current setup, using the D810 and D300 with the D700 or D2Xs (probably the latter because of reach) as backup. But yes, the option of a second D810 does tickle my mind. Maybe I should look for a second hand one
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 22nd January 2016 at 22:20.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Being able to see what is going on outside the frame can be an advantage too.
    Didn't think of that - really good point, especially with your subject matter.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com