The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D500 announced

Swissblad

I know I am an oddball thinker on this, but Dx format has never intrigued me. If I'm going to go smaller, then why not M4/3 instead?

Jack, this camera is a heaven sent for wildlife photographers - where a DX body adds extra power to long telephoto lenses - and believe me - you simply never have enough reach - especially when chasing rare birds etc.

Having FX and DX in similar familiar Nikon dSLR layouts is really boon for such folks.

That said, after watching the Nikon video - this camera actually rocks...... good show NIKON

:thumbup:

- - - Updated - - -

I just don't see the point to this camera
See reply to jack, or comment by Jorgen.

I'm guessing it's going to be an off year for FX. I'd love that new focus system in a D7xx style body. I'll probably have to wait until next year which is ok too, the 750 is working just fine.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

The price in Denmark is now revealed as 18,295 DKK which at the current exchange rate equals 2,635 USD.

In my country it's 1.7 times the price of an FX Nikon D610.

And it's 2.5 times the price of a DX Nikon D7200.

So, sorry Nikon, I'll have to give up the D300 successor despite how intriguing it would have been paired with an AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR.

BlinkingEye

Jack, this camera is a heaven sent for wildlife photographers - where a DX body adds extra power to long telephoto lenses - and believe me - you simply never have enough reach - especially when chasing rare birds etc.

Having FX and DX in similar familiar Nikon dSLR layouts is really boon for such folks.

That said, after watching the Nikon video - this camera actually rocks...... good show NIKON

:thumbup:

- - - Updated - - -

See reply to jack, or comment by Jorgen.
Swissblad, you describe the sweet spot where I live most of the time. I have been waiting a long time for the D500. Read the specs closely it is a true pro camera and very close to the D5. You are correct. It's pairing with the D5 will be the pros tool kit for a long time.

One fine point. The D500 will have the backlit buttons of the D4/5. I know many will shrug, but it is one of those things you don't know you want until you use them. A very nice touch.

nikt

The D500 (and the D5) look about as good as they could be as upgrades for the Nikon shooters. I'm so glad the Nikon shooters weren't moaning and groaning about this MP's too and have embraced the cameras and it's many features. I thought it was going to be yet another 24MP camera, and 20MP is what I was hoping for persinally. Now to start saving. :)

kxl

The price in Denmark is now revealed as 18,295 DKK which at the current exchange rate equals 2,635 USD.

So, sorry Nikon, I'll have to give up the D300 successor despite how intriguing it would have been paired with an AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR.
Unfortunately, prices in Europe are often inflated for a variety of reasons, including exchange rates. The current price in the US (pre-order @ B&H) is $1,996.95 USD.

Swissblad

Swissblad, you describe the sweet spot where I live most of the time. I have been waiting a long time for the D500. Read the specs closely it is a true pro camera and very close to the D5. You are correct. It's pairing with the D5 will be the pros tool kit for a long time.

One fine point. The D500 will have the backlit buttons of the D4/5. I know many will shrug, but it is one of those things you don't know you want until you use them. A very nice touch.

I missed the backlit buttons - great - this little camera is becoming more appealing by the second.

- - - Updated - - -

Travel a few km's south - it will be much cheaper in Germany, and even CH will have reasonable prices.

Plus, you can even take pix on the trip back!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now, this is silly:
According to Nikon's website, their WiFi applications for the D500 will only be compatible with iOS and Android devices. However, the only tablet computers that can run Photoshop and other advanced photo editing software are those that feature Windows, like the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 4. Why didn't you think about that, Mr. Nikon?

Bottom of this page:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d500.html

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Now, this is silly:
According to Nikon's website, their WiFi applications for the D500 will only be compatible with iOS and Android devices. However, the only tablet computers that can run Photoshop and other advanced photo editing software are those that feature Windows, like the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 4. Why didn't you think about that, Mr. Nikon?

Bottom of this page:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/d500.html
You can run a special photoshop on the new iPad Pro at least, but not sure about the other iPads ....

Maybe support will come (hopefully)

Anyway I am not so keen about editing on any type of tablet, but maybe that's only me.

turtle

I think the purpose of this camera is pretty clear: its a 7D II competitor and we know the 7D II is a very popular second body to the 1DX or sole body for some sports and wildlife shooters.

By appearing to provide all the goodies of the 7D II in a body with a sensor that will have vastly better dynamic range and file elasticity, I think Nikon has a winner here. Yes, we know it is leapfrog here, but it took Canon 5 years to update the 7D to Mk II status, so unless there is a quick overhaul with new sensor tech by Canon, 7D II users have 3-5 years before they can get improved dynamic range.

The 1DX II and 5D IV (or whatever its called) really need to deliver a clear leap in sensor performance over existing Canons, because Nikon has eaten away at pretty well all of Canon's other USPs over the last few years.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You can run a special photoshop on the new iPad Pro at least, but not sure about the other iPads ....

Maybe support will come (hopefully)

Anyway I am not so keen about editing on any type of tablet, but maybe that's only me.
I won't edit using a tablet computer on a regular basis either, but sometimes, also when travelling light, it's needed. The iPad Pro also has the disadvantage of lacking a slot for a Micro SD-card and a full size USB port (No, I don't want to pay for and carry an assortment of adapters to make the thing work. This is year 2016 after all.), which makes it much less practical to use. Then it's the price: the top iPad Pro is 50% more expensive than the corresponding Surface 3, in spite of lacking all those practical features. The Retina screen is nice of course, but that's about it for me.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

The D500 (and the D5) look about as good as they could be as upgrades for the Nikon shooters. I'm so glad the Nikon shooters weren't moaning and groaning about this MP's too and have embraced the cameras and it's many features. I thought it was going to be yet another 24MP camera, and 20MP is what I was hoping for persinally. Now to start saving. :)

Hi Nik (nikt), nice to see you here on GetDPI as well :)

I assume you are the very same member nikt from Australia who in 2005 started the longest going thread ever on the Nikon board of the FM forum:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/546418

In any case, welcome aboard :thumbup:

/Steen

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Hi Nik (nikt), nice to see you here on GetDPI as well :)

I assume you are the very same member nikt from Australia who in 2005 started the longest going thread ever on the Nikon board of the FM forum:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/546418

In any case, welcome aboard :thumbup:

/Steen
Happy to see you here too, Nikt. Hope you have an enjoyable time here too :)

Ummm... not to be nitpicking, but the longest thread on FM must be "Mustang Air to Air, The Sequel", started by Jim Wilson, 94,100 posts and counting:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984

I guess we aren't supposed to do advertising for other forums here, but FM is so well known by most here anyway. Hope it's OK. Please remove if it's not.

nikt

Hi gents, yes have been reading the forum for a while, and never registered - I don't know why really. :)