The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 200-500 test

Harry

Went out to the track last weekend and tried out the 200-500. Usually run the 300 2.8, but wanted test this one out just to see what it could do.
Was quite impressed. Focus is fast and accurate. IQ is very good. Bokeh is nice.
I really did not think I would like this lens ... now one of my favorites

max 02 2016 12.jpg

max 02 2016.jpg

max 02 2016 8.jpg

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks also from my side for posting this.

This lens is on my short list for long tele zoom and given the price point and that I already own the 2.8/70-200 this could be a good supplement for the long end :cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Got it... one hour before closing time. Going to the airport tomorrow morning with the lens in my bag. Going south :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This lens must be the bargain of the century. I'm at a hotel room in Singapore. I should have been sleeping, since I only had 2 hours of sleep last night, but I had to try this lens. This is the view from my room, taken with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 and D810. Sorry for the tilt. I'm tired.

I thought I would see how far I could take the 200-500mm, so I took a photo of the same view at 500mm, f/8 and 1/400s handheld. Since the photo looked very sharp with lots of detail, I thought I could enlarged it a bit: I doubled the linear size, ending up with an image of roughly 140 megapixels. Here's a 100% crop of that photo:

This enlargement corresponds to an image printed 124 x 83 cm at 300 ppi (typical resolution for small format offset print), and I'm sure this would look perfectly sharp when printed at that size. Consider also that the photo is taken through haze of an object around 2 kilometres away. If I ha bothered doing some post processing, I'm sure it would have looked much better also.

This lens, I'm going to have a lot of fun with :D :chug:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very hazy today, and difficult to get clear shots, but here are a few attempts, all with D810 plus 200-500mm @ 500mm and f/8:

Mr.Gale

Like others, I'm very impressed with this lens. I just returned from the Klamath Basin Wildlife Refuge Complex where I was photographing Bald Eagles. Here is an example first, at full frame and the second at ~100% crop.

Nikon D810, 200-500mm
Shot at 1/1000 @ f9
500mm
ISO 450

kxl

My new favorite lens...

Wood stork

Green heron

Black collared hawk

Last edited: