Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: D3/D300 illustrated

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: D3/D300 illustrated

glenerrolrd, is that a Zone VI field camera?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger,
    Now that I have my glasses on these shots look even better than they did this morning I've never even seen a waterspout in the ten years I'm in Florida, no less have my camera with me at the time. You need to buy a Lotto ticket

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

gromitspapa,
    Heavily salted or not that is a beautiful shot. Very well composed and I love that sky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    glenerrolrd, is that a Zone VI field camera?
    I have no idea...this was at a local art fair. The lens was a Calumet so my guess would be that it maybe their private label version as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

shoeblack in Istanbul
    ZF 1.4/50mm on D300, somewhat cropped

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

study in green, same combo

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Combo. Very tempted to dump my 5d and go Nikon D3 or even D300.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

You do need to dump the 5D and go for the D3.

I originally bought the D300 but after playing with a D3 for a full day in Vegas during PMA, I got a D3 the next week.

The D3 is really good in IQ, auto-focus, metering, flash system use, speed, ergonomics, menu use, and the "unbelievable" high ISO performance. Their new zoom the 24-70/2.8 is also VERY GOOD.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the most exciting thing about Nikon right now is actually the fast development in the glass situation.
    First the ZF lenses popped up as a surprising and refreshing addition.
    Then came the fabulous two new Nano Crystal Coat "ultra wide-angle" plus "standard" Nikkor zooms together with the three new super telephoto lenses.
    Plus the new Voigtländer Ultron 2/40mm pancake along with the Nokton 1.4/58mm.
    And now the announcement of three new 24mm, 45mm and 85mm Tilt / Shift Nikkor lenses.
    What I would like to see next is new AF-S versions of some fast primes like 85, 50 and 28mm.
    Finally I hope for a new faster focusing AF-S 4/300VR, and we are ready to go.
    I can easily understand you, Guy.
    On the other hand, if you don't need it right now maybe it would be an idea to wait and see what's happening next, I suspect there is even more under development at this moment.
    A >20 Mp flagship D3whatever model, maybe with the coming ~24Mp Exmor sensor from Sony ?
    And who knows, maybe we will even see a prosumer ~12Mp D300Xish 24x36mm FX sensor model, depending on Canons next move with a 5DII ??
    Oh, and by that time the Leica R10 would probably also be here. May you live in interesting times

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

architectural angle
    D300 w. Nikkor 18-70mm at 18mm, f/8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    I have no idea...this was at a local art fair. The lens was a Calumet so my guess would be that it maybe their private label version as well.
    Its a WISTA 4x5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of my first shots with the D300 and the 24-70 zoom. Just trying to work my way through Capture NX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt interested in your thoughts on the D300 compared to the old 5d from the past. File structure and workable, you know what i am after. BTW looks a tad warm
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That one was a bit messy in NX. This looks better. The 24-70 is razor sharp. So far two thumbs up, Guy ... I'll give you a more detailed review in a little while after I grab a few more shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds great , i will get this job done in Tucson than make the switch . I really want to try the Nikons now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    One of my first shots with the D300 and the 24-70 zoom. Just trying to work my way through Capture NX.
    Hey Kurt

In spite of the mostly great results the Capture NX is not for the faint of heart! Very slow and not at all intuitive. But once mastered the results can be very impressive indeed.

Woody

PS I have been in Florida for the past six weeks in spectacular weather and have been following the Wisconsin saga. WOW! I spent many winters in Sun Prairie (near Madison) and this winter puts those to shame near as I can tell. Are all you Wisconsoners ready for a break?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Sounds great , i will get this job done in Tucson than make the switch . I really want to try the Nikons now
    Guy

I know you have many resources but if you would like to borrow either my D300 or D3 you know I will be happy to oblige

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody you know i appreciate that. I think i am just going to do it anyway. Been very interested in some of the D300 features and i like the idea of some of there new glass. The 14-24 and 24-70 sound really nice but the 24mm shift and 85 shift plus a 180 2.8 is what i may go for. product , long tele and wide shift when I need it. Just need to sell my 5d, 200 2.8 and 100 macro and if I can sell my Oly 24 shift that would be awesome. This will get me through to either a R10 or a D3X when they hit the streets. the M8's are the main go too but i do need a DSLR sometimes.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt,
    Good luck with the Nikon kit, I'm sure you will be very pleased with it. As far as Capture NX, it does not play well with Leopard despite the posts that say the issues have been resolved. When it works well, it is awesome and the U Point technology is amazing. Here's a link to some Nikon tutorials that I found helpful...
    http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...x/nxsp/top.htm

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My son, Zachary... D3 and 24-70 zoom. Anyone know how to get a teenager to shave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    My son, Zachary... D3 and 24-70 zoom. Anyone know how to get a teenager to shave
    Yep.. just tell 'em you won't have anybody looking like that driving your car.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Woody,

You are certainly right about Wisconsin weather this year ... we've been pounded by the snow and cold. Madison's already at yearly record snow totals and Milwaukee isn't far behind.

I'm determined to get my head around Capture NX as it's very good software ... but, what's even more impressive is the metering and AWB capability on these new Nikon cameras. There isn't much left to do in Raw once you get it there.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David,

Thanks for the link. It's helpful, and so far, NX seems fairly intuitive.

I really like the way D300 images look so far ... they have less of a digital look to them than what I was getting with the 5D. They also seem to be very pliable.

I just ordered an 85/1.4 though, as I'm not used to working with slow lenses like the 24-70/2.8. I hate stopping things down.

Kurt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt,
    That 85 1.4 is supposed to be awesome, please post some shots with it when you have time. I'm limiting my gear purchases these days (famous last words) or I'd have one myself. I have one of the new PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED on hold with David at Dale Labs and am hoping to get that in the next week or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used the 24-70 for an event this weekend sans flash. While it worked well, the faster lens would have been fantastic to have available. I'll post a few shots when the lens arrives. I'll be going out to Vegas for a working meeting next week so I'm psyched to drag the lens along.

Here are a few shots from the event, a Winter Pow Wow. I have an Alien Skin layer applied for extra color saturation, but I like the deep colors.

Kurt
    Last edited by KurtKamka; 9th June 2008 at 11:59.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt,
    What ISO did you select for these. One of the great things about these new Nikon bodies is the flexibility of shooting with very high ISO.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurt,
    That 85 1.4 is supposed to be awesome, please post some shots with it when you have time. I'm limiting my gear purchases these days (famous last words) or I'd have one myself. I have one of the new PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED on hold with David at Dale Labs and am hoping to get that in the next week or so.
    David K,

I just got notification that our PC-E 24's shipped from Nikon today. We should have them by the end of the week.

If anyone else is interested, I have one left that is unspoken for....

David F

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt, great captures of Minnehaha and Hiawatha, and the Big Chief with the wedding ring
    Is it Alien Skin that strips the Exif data ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt,
    Me too

David expects to ship by weeks end

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

actual pixels crop
    detail from Ayasofya, D300 w. 18-70mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay i played with on today for about a half hour. I WANT IT. LOL The D300 for now. Going to get a 180 2.8 i don't want the long zoom. 85 PC lens than have to decide from there. Maybe the 24-70 or 14-24

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay i played with on today for about a half hour.
    It was the first dslr that I played around with that actually felt comfortable in my hand. Enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    actual pixels crop
    detail from Ayasofya, D300 w. 18-70mm
    Is that the older kit lens (3.5-4.5 G ED)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, it is "el cheapo" as Kit calls the "AF-S Nikkor DX 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED" - why use short product names
    I used it for all the indoor shots I have shown so far in this thread.
    Inside the mosques I wasn't allowed to use neither flash nor tripod. So I simply put the camera on the floor and let the self-timer shutter-release + autofocus take care of the rest. AF is quite handy in such a situation, especially when shooting ceilings where you cannot manual focus standing up at first and then afterwards put the camera on the floor without loosing the focus accuracy.
    1.6 sec. at f/8 ISO 200

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay i played with on today for about a half hour. I WANT IT. LOL The D300 for now. Going to get a 180 2.8 i don't want the long zoom. 85 PC lens than have to decide from there. Maybe the 24-70 or 14-24
    Guy,
    Don't dismiss the 17-35 which is a wonderful lens especially on the D300 and other crop factor Nikons. Significantly smaller than either the 14-24 or 24-70 and more readily available used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 18-70 DX lens may be an "el cheapo" lens in price, but it's a damn fine lens for a "non-pro" lens (and would probably even be considered acceptable for a "pro" lens). That was the first Nikon lens I got, and the only reason I stopped using it for everything is to get the longer reach of the 18-200 DX lens (also a damn fine lens for one with such a wide zoom range). Both are a great deal better than the Canon lenses (consumer and pro-sumer grades) I used to work with back in the film era.

I know a lot of people get excited about so-called "full-frame" sensors, but I far prefer Nikon's smaller sensors because the DX lenses for them are so much smaller and lighter (not to mention cheaper) than equivalent full-frame lenses, and I love it that the little 18-200 mm lens gives me the full-frame equivalent of 300 mm, which is great for wildlife.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Don't dismiss the 17-35 which is a wonderful lens especially on the D300 and other crop factor Nikons. Significantly smaller than either the 14-24 or 24-70 and more readily available used.
    Yea David and actually it covers events better for me since it is a 26-53 which is perfect for this stuff. i had this lens before and it is really good

Maybe i should get this 17-35 and than my 180mm. That would cover most stuff for me than the 85 PC lens for studio. Seems like a nice idea and keeps the costs done. I don't need much on the Nikon side, just enough to cover outside the M8 realm.

Thanks David that just solved a big dilemma choosing between the two, just get one other one. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote: "For now, the Nikon D3 is the “poor man’s medium format”." According to diglloyds blog.
    Go to: "Thursday, March 13, 2008 - Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III vs Nikon D3" on this page:
    http://www.diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Part of the ceiling of "The German Fountain" in Istanbul, built in Germany, then transported piece by piece and assembled in its current site in 1900. Talk about patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

80 % crop.
    D300 w. ZF 1.4/50mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am really looking for advice on getting the Nikon 85 1.4 vs the ZF 85 1.4. Reasons for wanting the Nikon are obvious but I am unclear about relative image quality. Also I am conflicted as to whether the 135 2.0 DC is a better choice as a portrait lens? Any help out there?

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well sitting here waiting for the D300 it's on the truck. LOL

Next week i will have the Nikon 85 1.4 with some images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Woody,

I've been using the Nikon 85/1.4 for about two weeks and really like the lens. I had debated between that and the Zeiss and decided to go with the Nikon because I want to use the Nikon system as my AF system. My concern was that if I jumped back into the manual focus world for a bit more contrast with the Zeiss, I'd be back to having a lot of glass based again on manual focus.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Camera is here and Ray just left . Man that 105 macro is stellar. More reports later but so far very nice little camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Woody,

I've been using the Nikon 85/1.4 for about two weeks and really like the lens. I had debated between that and the Zeiss and decided to go with the Nikon because I want to use the Nikon system as my AF system. My concern was that if I jumped back into the manual focus world for a bit more contrast with the Zeiss, I'd be back to having a lot of glass based again on manual focus.

Kurt
    I will try the 135 as I can rent one in Denver for a few bucks. Just looking to see what is the ideal portrait lens. I have read great comments on the de-focus control of the 135 but you never know until you try. I have decided that no matter what I won't get a manual focus 85 1.4 as I already have the great Zeiss 85 1.2 50 Jahre anniversary lens which I bought a few years ago from Pham Minh Son. He says it was the best copy he had seen and it was and is in absolutely perfect condition. I can shoot it with digital on the 5D or with film on the RTS III. No need for another 85. So got to go check out this 135

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's the 85 wide open at 1.4 in a dark environment with funky lighting ... a client bowling event last week. I used no flash. This is ISO 2500.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another one, same conditions but ISO 6400.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the 85 wide open at 1.4 in a dark environment with funky lighting ... a client bowling event last week. I used no flash. This is ISO 2500.
    Kurt,

What is up with the manly Princess bowling ball?

The Nikon 85 1.4 is one of the best Nikon has to offer...

David

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody,

Don't forget about the 105 f/2 DC. This is a really great portrait lens. I've never tried the 135 DC in a head-to-head though.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL, David. It was the president of the company, so received the VIP treatment from the rest of the participants.

Kurt