The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3/D300 illustrated

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Woody,

You are certainly right about Wisconsin weather this year ... we've been pounded by the snow and cold. Madison's already at yearly record snow totals and Milwaukee isn't far behind.

I'm determined to get my head around Capture NX as it's very good software ... but, what's even more impressive is the metering and AWB capability on these new Nikon cameras. There isn't much left to do in Raw once you get it there.

Kurt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi David,

Thanks for the link. It's helpful, and so far, NX seems fairly intuitive.

I really like the way D300 images look so far ... they have less of a digital look to them than what I was getting with the 5D. They also seem to be very pliable.

I just ordered an 85/1.4 though, as I'm not used to working with slow lenses like the 24-70/2.8. I hate stopping things down. :D

Kurt

David K

Workshop Member
Kurt,
That 85 1.4 is supposed to be awesome, please post some shots with it when you have time. I'm limiting my gear purchases these days (famous last words) or I'd have one myself. I have one of the new PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED on hold with David at Dale Labs and am hoping to get that in the next week or so.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I used the 24-70 for an event this weekend sans flash. While it worked well, the faster lens would have been fantastic to have available. I'll post a few shots when the lens arrives. I'll be going out to Vegas for a working meeting next week so I'm psyched to drag the lens along.

Here are a few shots from the event, a Winter Pow Wow. I have an Alien Skin layer applied for extra color saturation, but I like the deep colors.

Kurt

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Kurt,
What ISO did you select for these. One of the great things about these new Nikon bodies is the flexibility of shooting with very high ISO.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Kurt,
That 85 1.4 is supposed to be awesome, please post some shots with it when you have time. I'm limiting my gear purchases these days (famous last words) or I'd have one myself. I have one of the new PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED on hold with David at Dale Labs and am hoping to get that in the next week or so.
David K,

I just got notification that our PC-E 24's shipped from Nikon today. We should have them by the end of the week.

If anyone else is interested, I have one left that is unspoken for....

David F

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Kurt, great captures of Minnehaha and Hiawatha, and the Big Chief with the wedding ring :)
Is it Alien Skin that strips the Exif data ?

woodyspedden

Kurt,
Me too

David expects to ship by weeks end

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay i played with on today for about a half hour. I WANT IT. LOL The D300 for now. Going to get a 180 2.8 i don't want the long zoom. 85 PC lens than have to decide from there. Maybe the 24-70 or 14-24

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Yes, it is "el cheapo" as Kit calls the "AF-S Nikkor DX 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED" - why use short product names :rolleyes:
I used it for all the indoor shots I have shown so far in this thread.
Inside the mosques I wasn't allowed to use neither flash nor tripod. So I simply put the camera on the floor and let the self-timer shutter-release + autofocus take care of the rest. AF is quite handy in such a situation, especially when shooting ceilings where you cannot manual focus standing up at first and then afterwards put the camera on the floor without loosing the focus accuracy.
1.6 sec. at f/8 ISO 200

David K

Workshop Member
Okay i played with on today for about a half hour. I WANT IT. LOL The D300 for now. Going to get a 180 2.8 i don't want the long zoom. 85 PC lens than have to decide from there. Maybe the 24-70 or 14-24
Guy,
Don't dismiss the 17-35 which is a wonderful lens especially on the D300 and other crop factor Nikons. Significantly smaller than either the 14-24 or 24-70 and more readily available used.

Lisa

The 18-70 DX lens may be an "el cheapo" lens in price, but it's a damn fine lens for a "non-pro" lens (and would probably even be considered acceptable for a "pro" lens). That was the first Nikon lens I got, and the only reason I stopped using it for everything is to get the longer reach of the 18-200 DX lens (also a damn fine lens for one with such a wide zoom range). Both are a great deal better than the Canon lenses (consumer and pro-sumer grades) I used to work with back in the film era.

I know a lot of people get excited about so-called "full-frame" sensors, but I far prefer Nikon's smaller sensors because the DX lenses for them are so much smaller and lighter (not to mention cheaper) than equivalent full-frame lenses, and I love it that the little 18-200 mm lens gives me the full-frame equivalent of 300 mm, which is great for wildlife.

Lisa

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy,
Don't dismiss the 17-35 which is a wonderful lens especially on the D300 and other crop factor Nikons. Significantly smaller than either the 14-24 or 24-70 and more readily available used.
Yea David and actually it covers events better for me since it is a 26-53 which is perfect for this stuff. i had this lens before and it is really good

Maybe i should get this 17-35 and than my 180mm. That would cover most stuff for me than the 85 PC lens for studio. Seems like a nice idea and keeps the costs done. I don't need much on the Nikon side, just enough to cover outside the M8 realm.

Thanks David that just solved a big dilemma choosing between the two, just get one other one. LOL

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Part of the ceiling of "The German Fountain" in Istanbul, built in Germany, then transported piece by piece and assembled in its current site in 1900. Talk about patience.