The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3/D300 illustrated

gromitspapa

Did your D300 come with the Capture NX software or key code? Just curious. Also, there's a focus adjustment tool for fine-tuning your lenses to the camera. For many, this has brought some of their lenses back to life in a big way. I haven't tried it yet, myself.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes NX was in the box with the D300. Not turning me on, looks clunky. Something i need to work with though.

Have not tried the focus adjustment . Only one lens at the moment , the rest are on there way. I have the 180mm right now and it is new.

Most of these lenses i tried are Rays

gromitspapa

It can be clunky if you don't have a really fast computer. For me, D-lighting takes far too long and I do it in CS3 instead. But the rest of the functions are quick enough, on my computer. I love the U-Point tool. I don't think new lenses are immune from benefiting from the focus adjustment. It seems to be eliminating the need for sending lenses in, which isn't often with Nikkors, fortunately.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I meant clunkly interface , just something I need to get used too. My machines are very fast. For example i could not find WB . LOL

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi L, you are right, that color seems to have gone bananas, I've probably done something stupid with the levels of the different color channels in the feature "Levels and Curves". I often adjust them each of their own.
On the other hand the color of this plant was really amazing and the light as well, which was my only reason for taking such a trivial photo. When I see good light I can't resist capturing it :)
And yes, Zeiss ZF 1.4/85mm and Auto White Balance. But don't blaim those factors, I'm sure it is my lacking skills in post processing, definitely my weakest point.
If you want me to I can send the RAW file to you by yousendit dot com and you can show me your take on it, or you can just take a look at the original capture ?
By the way this thread has all along just been ment for illustration of the output characteristics of the new cameras.
So I have tried to upload the RAW files (NEF) to "bondo dot be" and make links so that they could be downloaded for investigation and to play with, but for some reason I only got a white screen when I hit the links.
I just used the standard HTML tag for links: (A HREF="path") link_text (/a)
Of course here in this post I have put ( ) instead of < > so that it is not recognized as a HTML tag.
A JPG file would be shown, and a DOC file or an EXE file would be downloadable.
But with the NEF file it doesn't work. Does anyone know why ?
/Steen

Last edited:

LCT

..If you want me to I can send the RAW file to you by yousendit dot com and you can show me your take on it...
My Nikon softwares are probably too old to open your NEF file but i own Capture One and Silkypix raw converters as well so i will be pleased to develop your file with them if you don't mind thanks.

LCT

I've sent you the file, looking forward to see your take on it....
Thank you Steen.
Your NEF file and my tweaked TIF can be downloaded here:
http://tinyurl.com/rv7w/_DSC0308.NEF (13 MB)
http://tinyurl.com/rv7w/_DSC0308_C1_iC.tif (35 MB)
My feeling is there was indeed some green cast in your pic.
Comes probably from a less than perfect auto WB in the camera.
AFAIC i've just developed the NEF file with Capture One (default settings) and adjusted WB and contrast in PP with iCorrect.
But i wasn't behind the camera so forgive me if my colors are out.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I think my vegetables looked more fresh while yours seem to have gone beyond last date :D
Just kidding, I agree your WB make them look a lot more realistic.
Only now I start wondering why I photographed them in the first place :eek: (still just kidding)
Thank you for your efforts with this, LCT. I need to take a closer look at the Kelvin value of this capture.
And thanks for making them downloadable, I simply don't get it why I cannot find out how to make links for downloading NEF versions of the files from my website, at least not with my rather new Internet Explorer 7 ?
Best, Steen

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice colors Steen. Have you received the 28/2 yet?
Nahh, I haven't ordered the ZF 2/28mm, i only "ordered" (well, asked for :D) a comparison of the 2/28 and the highly praised 2/35 from deepdiver who seems to have them all and who has shown some fabulous results even with the somewhat difficult (at least for me) ZF 85mm.

Right now I'm actually sitting on my hands not buying anything before Photokina, because I have a feeling that we might see some brandnew AFS primes from Nikon, which would also be very tempting. And at that time probably also the R10 in the horizon ... :)