The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Got my D5

jlancasterd

Today's special is the major fund-raising Snowdonian. Originally started as a means of drumming up sponsorship for the rebuilding and reopening of the Welsh Highland Railway it has now transformed into a major means of raising money for infrastructure projects such as the modernisation and expansion of Boston Lodge Works. It's the only train that covers the entire system (i.e both the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland) in both directions in a single day – almost 80 miles of two-foot-gauge train travel. It routinely features eccentric motive power combinations. Seats are sold at premium rates.

Waiting for the 'off' at Harbour Station. 1863-built 'Small Englands' Palmerston and Prince and 1992-built double Fairlie David Lloyd George.
D5, Nikkor 24-120 f4, ISO 160, f8, 1/250
Snowdonian 2 16-4.jpg

Departure for Blaenau Ffestiniog at at 08:40
D5, Nikkor 24-120 f4, ISO 200, f8, 1/250
Snowdonian 1 16-4.jpg

The return train from Blaenau en route to Caernarfon late morning. Locomotives had been changed at Boston Lodge a few minutes previously. The new locos are Darjeeling 19B and FR 'Penrhyn Ladies' Linda and Blanche. The train ran non-stop through Harbour Station onto the Welsh Highland with the crews keeping a sharp eye out for errant photographers…!
D5, Nikkor 24-120 f4, ISO 200, f8, 1/250
Snowdonian 4 16-4.jpg

Parlour Car Carrabasset from the Beeches Light Railway is a visitor from the same garden railway as Darjeeling 19B. Built at Boston Lodge in 2004 the design is loosely based on the Parlour car Rangeley of the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes RR in Maine. Fitted out for 'Garden Party' use it has a very well equipped, all-electric kitchen that requires the services of a separate generator wagon when it's on its own line!
D5, Nikkor 24-120 f4, ISO 450, f8, 1/500
Carrabasset 16-4.jpg

Last edited:

BlinkingEye

These static shots are not what the D5 is about. Let's see some action shots through a tele at the sports pitch or some birds in flight or some high ISO shots. Thank you. :cool:

jlancasterd

These static shots are not what the D5 is about. Let's see some action shots through a tele at the sports pitch or some birds in flight or some high ISO shots. Thank you. :cool:
You're asking the wrong person, I don't do sports or bird photography.

Where I do need good, high ISO, performance is when taking photos in the murky depths of an engineering works, or outdoors in bad weather. See the shots taken at 11-14000 ISO at the beginning of this sequence.

jlancasterd

We had another special yesterday. This one was a 'jolly' for the UK-based Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Society, using DHR No.19B, a couple of FR saloons and the Parlor Car, Carrabasset. I got this shot as it left Harbour Station in Porthmadog and headed along the road crossing over Britannia Bridge before veering to my left onto the Welsh Highland Railway.

D5, ISO 280, f8, 1/500, Nikkor 24-120 f4. I'd normally use my D810 for this kind of photography, but I'm finding it interesting to see how versatile the D5 is for general photography.

19B on Britannia Bridge 17-4.jpg

V

Vivek

Got to see/hear the camera in action earlier today. Sounded real sweet and surprisingly quiet. :thumbup:

It was used for a location shoot at a movie theater with a mono light and all. The pro photog who was using it knew what he was doing (he had a D3X as well).

jlancasterd

Got to see/hear the camera in action earlier today. Sounded real sweet and surprisingly quiet. :thumbup:

The quiet, refined, shutter sound was one of the first things I noticed about the D5. In use, I'm finding it produces 'clean' neutral colours and files that are easy to process in Lightroom and Photoshop CS6. The only glitch is that I've bought a couple of Lexar Professional 32GB 1333X XQD cards and, whilst they will work in the camera (I can review images on the rear screen), I can't find a card reader that will recognise them when I try to download these same images to my iMac. I've tried shooting JPG files as well as RAW, but neither works. The Sony 32GB type G card supplied with the camera works fine.

jlancasterd

Waiting for the Inspector…

The new boiler for Welsh Pony, part-assembled and tack-welded. Waiting for the insurance company's boiler inspector to approve the work so far, and to authorise the railway's coded welder to finish-weld all the seams. The steel inner firebox and foundation ring are in the foreground, The brass bezel is an original part from the 1890s, and the chalk circles on the backhead show where the pop-marks for drilling stay holes are located.

D5, 1/30, f8, ISO 2,200, Nikkor 24-120 f4

WP boiler 2-5.jpg