The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D5 & D500 are there

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Today I had a chance to test shoot a D5 and D500 at a presentation in Vienna.

Both great cameras, really outstanding would be actually the better phrase ;)

While the D5 could already be shot with cards, this was not allowed with the D500 as FW is still not complete.

My first observations:

D5 - better than the D4/D4s, amazing fast, very bright OVF, great LCD perfect handling, usual layout as D4/D4s
D500 - similar fast as D5, OVF approx. same size of view and brightness as D5, which is remarkable as it is an APSC camera
D500 - handles nicely, but size is not so much smaller than D810, maybe thinner
AF of both cameras is very fast and accurate and spans a much larger area than in D4/D4s and D810 - was to be expected of course
Joy Stick for AF and function navigation - really fast operation possible and should be actually part of every camera!
Sensor manufacturer is not necessarily Sony, these are definitely designed by Nikon???

Final observation - prices in Europe unfortunately much more expensive than US or Japan - D5 €7000.- and D500 €2400.-

Anyway great new extensions of the Nikon system!

PS: the D810 successor will have significant resolution boost (twice???) - not sur if that would be the right direction ...

Peter

Hulyss Bowman

Like many of us, D5 is out of reach for me. I pray that this sensor end in a DF style body with video, not crippled and 1/8000. Otherwise I look at the D500, 2299 € in France. Nothing yet push me to quit my D700... (23700 actuations on the last raw).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Like many of us, D5 is out of reach for me. I pray that this sensor end in a DF style body with video, not crippled and 1/8000. Otherwise I look at the D500, 2299 € in France. Nothing yet push me to quit my D700... (23700 actuations on the last raw).
Once you hold the D5 you get addicted ;)

But same here, I hope for a great D500 and maybe a useable Df2

But, even France is cheaper than Austria :banghead: