The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wedding Photographers Settings on Nikon D810

tcdeveau

I always shot 14 bit uncompressed RAW + JPEG, saving the RAW to CF and jpeg to SD. If you want best quality go 14 bit.

For weddings don't bother with the full bit depth. You'll just fill up your cards like crazy. I can bet you'll never see the difference between them. If you start shooting a landscape or something and you know you're going to print big, use the full bit depth. For example, I run all my images through Adobe DNG conversion WITH lossy compression and edit from there. Never once have I noticed a quality difference with wedding images. If they had lossy compressed DNG has an option in my Nikon i'd shoot it at weddings for sure. Save space and speed up the editing!

Of course 14-bit, because the auto-metering might fail occasionally, and you'd want the extra 2-stops of dynamic range to save the day.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agree, 14 bit always -- the extra depth can save the day on salvaging an iffy exposure.

If you need to save room on your cards, then use the lossless compression option -- takes a few ms longer to unpack, but it will add capacity. (I personally use big cards, so space is never a concern for me, and I use un-compressed -- FWIW. I also send a full-rez jpeg to card 2 so I have a plethora of back-up.)