The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D500 is on the way

stngoldberg

B&H emailed me yesterday. This camera will simply be a tool for some jobs such as sports and wildlife
Stanley

Swissblad

This camera actually looks very good

Youtube ISO 51K:

Very impressive

This could be a game changer for bird photographers - where a DX body is very handy since the crop factor acts like a virtual tele-extender.

Have fun and post some images asap....:cool:

:thumbs:

stngoldberg

I'll be able to take it out mid next week.
The advantage of this camera for bird photography is indeed the 1.5 crop factor, and the disadvantage will be the relatively small sensor size when compared with the D810.
The trade off will be acceptable to me if the camera's focus ability is fast and if the focus can track the the subject.
I'll report my impressions
Stanley

stngoldberg

I took out the D500 today with the 200-500mm lens attached which afforded me 750mm on the long end.
I discovered last week that the 200-500mm lens doesn't focus quickly enough with a 1.4 extender to capture birds in flight so using the lens with my D810 limited my range to 500mm.
Other long lenses such as the 500mm f4 does focus quickly enough with a 1.4 extender but the lens is heavy and difficult for me to hand hold for extended periods of time. Therefore not a pleasurable experience while photographing birds in flight.
For the record my success rate of images in focus (when subjects are moving erratically) is much lower while photographing on a tripod than hand holding a camera
Therefore the D500 which does focus quickly and does track sufficiently and does capture 10 FPS and does handle a burst of 200 images at a time is a reasonable choice for wildlife and sports photography.
However to be perfectly honest, the reduced file size of the D500 versus the D810 does not compare favorably in photoshop when processing the images! In addition the prints must be smaller in size due to the lower resolution of the 20 megapixel chip
Stanley

Swissblad

Well I took the plunge and ordered a D500...... not something I usually do.... I really like to get the feel of a camera body before buying..... but...... the D500 is just too tempting.

Looking forward.......:cool:

stngoldberg

I am enjoying the crop factor, fast focus and the fps. I do miss the megapixels of my D 810, but this camera is definitely the best tool for some jobs.
Stanley

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am enjoying the crop factor, fast focus and the fps. I do miss the megapixels of my D 810, but this camera is definitely the best tool for some jobs.
Stanley
This is definitely not the camera one should buy if MP count is the top priority!

But otherwise it must be a beast!

WRT MP count - I am working since years with 36MP D810 (D800E) and 16MP Df and Olympus EM1. I cannot say that I am usually missing anything by the reduces count of MP!

So I do not quite understand your complaints :)

stngoldberg

No complaints.... just stating fact...when I print big with D500, I can see the lack of megapixels

Stanley

Swissblad

Well I got my D500 today - quite happy so far - best DX body I've used so far.
Hope to get some pix over the long WE.
:cool:

ChrisLivsey

Some D500 early testing:

Testing autofocus settings very humble 18-105, the disposable zoom ;)

Bluebells are a difficult colour for both digital and film, the auto white balance is not getting much mention but I find it very good indeed an advance on the D3 for me.

24mm f2.8D Nikkor, out of camera jpeg with tweaked B/W picture control no further work other than square crop.

@51,200 1/200th f11
some NX-D sliders for noise and sharpening on NEF but I'm no expert, never used it before, but figured this early they would have best inside processing track.
Posted in fun thread with link to full file and Exif, another good example of untouched auto white balance.

Swissblad

This little camera rocks.....

Nikon D500, Nikkor 300mm F4.0 PF, Nikkor TC 14E.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Swissblad

A little more fun with the new D500......

A little sumting out of nutting

Nikon D500, Tamron 95mm Macro

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Good review on the D500 (...)

Thanks, Swiss :thumbup:

In the video at around 7:10 Chris Niccolls from The Camera Store says that the shutter sound is rather noisy (maybe just because a deer heard it).

How do you (and others) judge the shutter sound at normal settings, e.g. compared to your D800 (or other Nikon DSLRs) ?

Swissblad

I actually haven't noticed it to be loud..... but then again .... I'm really used to the D700.

We were photographing birds last weekend .... and it wasn't a drawback.

I should say that the D500 with the 300mm f4.0 PF make a dream team for this task.

:thumbup:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) I should say that the D500 with the 300mm f4.0 PF make a dream team for this task.

:thumbup:

Good to hear, I do have the - now let me see, what was the name - Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR N - or something like that .-)

Indeed a sweet little optic

stngoldberg

I've been photographing birds ( sometimes only yards away), and as far as I can tell the shutter noise isn't disturbing them.
Stanley