The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D500 is on the way

Photon42

At 1230 mAh, the EN-EL14a for the Df is much lower capacity than the EN-EL15a for the D500 which is 1900 mAh.

When that is said, there have been some complaints about battery life with the D500. Does anybody know if that has been solved?
My DF does much better with its smaller battery than my recently acquired used d810. I would think the DF battery is easily good for more than 1000 frames. It is like the fuel tank capacity and gas consumption. Capacity is only one part of the equation for range calculation.

Cheers
Ivo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My DF does much better with its smaller battery than my recently acquired used d810. I would think the DF battery is easily good for more than 1000 frames. It is like the fuel tank capacity and gas consumption. Capacity is only one part of the equation for range calculation.

Cheers
Ivo
All the processing power of the D850 sucks up a lot of power. Just dealing with 3 times as many pixels increases the consumption a lot.

stngoldberg

The En-El-15 battery on the D850 is providing well over 1500 images.
I’ve been using the camera mostly for sports and wildlife; so most of the images have been taken at 6 frames/second.
This camera is remarkable; every image is in focus!
Stanley

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The En-El-15 battery on the D850 is providing well over 1500 images.
I’ve been using the camera mostly for sports and wildlife; so most of the images have been taken at 6 frames/second.
This camera is remarkable; every image is in focus!
Stanley
Shooting bursts gives much more images per charge. When shooting air shows and motor sports with the D810, I sometimes managed well over 2,000 shots per charge.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Excellent selection.

Best wishes with the new setup.
Thanks Rayyan. It will take a month or two before it's here. I'm following a set of new rules:

- Don't buy a new camera until the old one is sold.
- If the old one doesn't sell fast enough, buy the new one anyway :ROTFL:

Luckilly, I'm selling much more than what I'm going to buy, so this should be relatively smooth sailing. I was very, very impressed by the D500 though. It's surprisingly compact and exceptionally easy to handle. Cheap too, much cheaper the G9 and X-H1 I compared it too, at least here in Thailand.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jorgen,

one thing you should consider if it is important for you ....

If you plan to use it frequently for 4k video, then there is a substantial crop - see several reviews like

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d500/nikon-d500VIDEO.HTM

The X-H1 would only have a crop of 1.17, which is much less (uses a substantial larger area of the APSC sensor).

If 4k does not matter to you then the D500 could be perfect.

I myself have come to the point that I do need and use 4k meanwhile so heavily, that I could not survive with the crop of the D500, which is otherwise a wonderful camera.

All the best with your decisions

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,

one thing you should consider if it is important for you ....

If you plan to use it frequently for 4k video, then there is a substantial crop - see several reviews like

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d500/nikon-d500VIDEO.HTM

The X-H1 would only have a crop of 1.17, which is much less (uses a substantial larger area of the APSC sensor).

If 4k does not matter to you then the D500 could be perfect.

I myself have come to the point that I do need and use 4k meanwhile so heavily, that I could not survive with the crop of the D500, which is otherwise a wonderful camera.

All the best with your decisions

Peter
I'll probably buy a GX9 later for 4K video. I'm keeping some compact m4/3 lenses for the GM5 which I will not sell, and I have the Viltrox converter for use with my relatively complete range of OM Zuiko lenses on m4/3 cameras.

I'll return later with my rationale for doing this change, and why the D500 was important for the decision and the only Nikon camera that qualified. I've done some very thorough research this time.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'll probably buy a GX9 later for 4K video. I'm keeping some compact m4/3 lenses for the GM5 which I will not sell, and I have the Viltrox converter for use with my relatively complete range of OM Zuiko lenses on m4/3 cameras.

I'll return later with my rationale for doing this change, and why the D500 was important for the decision and the only Nikon camera that qualified. I've done some very thorough research this time.
I might even keep most or all of the m4/3 lenses, sell the GX8 and replace it with the smaller GX9 to use for video and whenever I need to go extra compact.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I might even keep most or all of the m4/3 lenses, sell the GX8 and replace it with the smaller GX9 to use for video and whenever I need to go extra compact.
Different but good and interesting concept.

I for the moment concentrate on only 1 system (m43) where I try to have mainly the best bodies and lenses (Olympus Pro) in order to minimise effort of operability and maximise outcome. But as said this is so for the time being and I cannot say how long that will last :cool:

Anyway you cannot get wrong with the D500, just look to get the best (Nikkor) glass for it :thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Another option for effective use of your OM Zuiko's today would be to get a Sony A7III and adapter so you can utilise these lenses "natively" in FF. Also offers the full versatility of the latest Sony sensor and camera technology and video at the same time. And the A7III price is pretty low already at it's introduction.

I for myself am thinking of getting one to use all my left over FF lenses (Minolta, Leica R, Olympus and even Leica M).

I know it is a Sony - but hey, I think I could handle that. Would also of course allow me to add some native FE mount lenses if I desire so - like a fast 1.4/35 or a 85 or ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another option for effective use of your OM Zuiko's today would be to get a Sony A7III and adapter so you can utilise these lenses "natively" in FF. Also offers the full versatility of the latest Sony sensor and camera technology and video at the same time. And the A7III price is pretty low already at it's introduction.

I for myself am thinking of getting one to use all my left over FF lenses (Minolta, Leica R, Olympus and even Leica M).

I know it is a Sony - but hey, I think I could handle that. Would also of course allow me to add some native FE mount lenses if I desire so - like a fast 1.4/35 or a 85 or ...
The most important reason why I keep the OM-lenses is to use them on the coming Nikon mirrorless :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Different but good and interesting concept.

I for the moment concentrate on only 1 system (m43) where I try to have mainly the best bodies and lenses (Olympus Pro) in order to minimise effort of operability and maximise outcome. But as said this is so for the time being and I cannot say how long that will last :cool:

Anyway you cannot get wrong with the D500, just look to get the best (Nikkor) glass for it :thumbup:
This has been my attitude for the last two years with Panasonic. However, even if m4/3 is a great system and superior to most in a few ways, there are a couple of areas where a good DSLR is simply superior:

- Viewfinder with unlimited resolution.
- Rock solid AF
- Battery life
- Build quality (although the GH3/4/5 come close)
- Price of good quality (not superprofessionalhighendextraquality) lenses

The last point is something I've been looking into, and I'll come back to a comparison I've made later, but here's an example:

- The Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 gives a reach of 150mm, costs USD 749 and weighs 305g.
- Weight with the G9: 963g - Price with the G9: USD 2,447

- The Fuji 90mm f/2 gives a reach of 145mm, costs USD 849 and weighs 540g.
- Weight with the X-H1: 1,213g - Price with the X-H1: USD 2,748

- The Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF-S gives a reach of 128mm, costs 477 and weighs 350g.
- Weight with the D500: 1,210g - Price with the D500: USD 2,374

One can discuss till the cows come home which of those combos will render the most beautiful images, and they all have advantages and disadvantages, but the reality is that they're all better than I am as a photographer.

Again, I'll come back to this. Nikon has done some great work on their line-up the last couple of years, and there are high quality, reasonably priced lenses available that I haven't even been aware of. Check out the $250 Micro Nikkor 40mm f/2.8.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since I'm on a pro-Nikon crusade anyway:
One of my reasons for choosing the D500 over good cameras like the D7200, D7500, D610 (had it, sold it for this exact reason) or D750, is the flexibility of the viewfinder. In addition to being a good viewfinder, surprisingly well protected from stray light even without an eye-cup, there are also no less than 13 Nikon viewfinder attachments available, and an unknown number from third party suppliers:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-p...A:Eyepieces and Viewfinders/product:1559:D500

These attachments, in addition to fit the D500, will fit any Nikon pro body launched since 1988. That's 30 years and counting, and it includes the F4, F5, F6, D1, D1H, D1X, D2H, D2Hs, D2X, D2Xs, D3, D3s, D4, D4s, D5, D700, D800, D800E, D810, D850... and the D500. When you think about the technological development that has taken place during those 30 years, that's pretty impressive, and it shows Nikon's dedication to detail and respect for the investments of professional users.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Since I'm on a pro-Nikon crusade anyway:
One of my reasons for choosing the D500 over good cameras like the D7200, D7500, D610 (had it, sold it for this exact reason) or D750, is the flexibility of the viewfinder. In addition to being a good viewfinder, surprisingly well protected from stray light even without an eye-cup, there are also no less than 13 Nikon viewfinder attachments available, and an unknown number from third party suppliers:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-p...A:Eyepieces and Viewfinders/product:1559:D500

These attachments, in addition to fit the D500, will fit any Nikon pro body launched since 1988. That's 30 years and counting, and it includes the F4, F5, F6, D1, D1H, D1X, D2H, D2Hs, D2X, D2Xs, D3, D3s, D4, D4s, D5, D700, D800, D800E, D810, D850... and the D500. When you think about the technological development that has taken place during those 30 years, that's pretty impressive, and it shows Nikon's dedication to detail and respect for the investments of professional users.
Jorgen,

I hear you and I understand your arguments.

I kind of also want to believe in the upcoming Nikon mirrorless, but lately I have lost lot of trust in the management capabilities of Nikon as a company - but that's another discussion.

Having said that I do hope for the N-mirrorless and compatibility backwards as well as a great FF mirrorless lens lineup for the future.

Agree that the D500 paired with some good existing Nikon glass should rock and provide lot of benefits - including price.

Please believe me - I am the last who wants to convince you - rather in a similar position to what you are going through and not really sure what to wait for. Anyway for this year I have frozen all camera gear purchases due to other obligations that should be overcome by next year, so I will watch your path and experiences you hopefully share carefully on this channel :clap:

Peter

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) perhaps ask Steen (...)

I sold off my Df and kept my D500 for use with my 300mm f/4 E PF tele as a perceived 450mm tele, and for use with my macro optics.
But as I have said for a long time now, I'm in search of a full frame camera as a complement to my D500.
I'm still waiting in the hope for an affordable D750 successor with the viewfinder type with a round DK-17 eyepiece and built-in viewfinder curtain / viewfinder shutter (that I use on a daily basis for trivial documentation work on tripod).
Plus a dedicated AF-ON button.
And maybe even with no blurring filter depending on pixel count.
Otherwise I'll choose between the D750, a used D810 or a D850 (with D850 as my favorite, but it's still quite expensive in my country).

Jorgen, unfortunately I need to warn you and say that the battery life on my D500 is the poorest I have ever experienced with any Nikon DSLR.
The battery life is not really a problem for me personally, I never snap away, but for those who make thousands of pictures on a single outing or a single wedding, it may be a problem.
I'm not sure if the camera drains the battery while shut off and sitting on the shelf, I haven't looked further into it since it's not really a problem for me.
It's just that I'm often surprised that there is less juice left than what I would have expected. Then again, I have made no controlled measurements.

D750 viewfinder with DK-21 eyepiece

D810 viewfinder with DK-17 eyepiece with built-in viewfinder curtain

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for that, Steen. There are contradictive reports on the battery issue. I'll have to give that some consideration. One option would be to wait for the... D760?... and hope that they've given that too the better viewfinder. At the moment, I'm travelling so much that I don't even have time to visit my regular camera pusher :( I tried the D500 at another shop last week, but the guys at the shop didn't have a clue, and kept telling me that the D500 is a sports camera with 10 fps. and all, and what did an old guy like me think he would need that kind of performance for etc., and why didn't I just buy some expensive point and shoot with a red dot on it... no they didn't say that, but it wasn't difficult to see what they were thinking :rolleyes:

I buy cameras from people I trust. Period. (Or from some Chinese online vendor if the price is low enough :ROTFL: )