The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 105 f/1.4 -- Yummy !!!

jduncan

Hi,
After seeing the Canon 85mm f/1.4L IS one has to wonder what are we paying here. Canon reacted to the stabilized lenses from Tamron and to the 1.4 lenses from sigma, producing a lens that is, on paper, superior to both. And then there is the price 1600 US$.

This could have been the first 1.4 stabilized lens from Nikon, but it was not. Today people do video and uses super high-resolution cameras. This lens has a good rendering ( I still find the 85mm more flattering, but this is as subjective as it can be), a moderate resolution for 2017 (good enough) and heavy price.

It has to it that is a very compact design.
I will pass this one and wait for the 135mm before deciding between the Nikon, the Tamron (I hope they build one) and the ART 135mm. The 105 is unique and tempting, and a good lens. I just wish Nikon was more aware of the competitive landscape.

Best regards,

Dustbak

I own/use a 105. I am stunnned with the results evertime I use it. I couldn’t care less what canon or sony or anyone else is doing...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Heck, the only reason I even a Sony body in the first place is because I can mount my Nikon glass on it. And *IF* I owned the 105/1.4, I'd probably never use it on my Sony anyway :LOL:

Paul2660

Hi Jack. Will the ED glass work with a Sony? I tried a couple of the ED lenses on the GFX with the Fotodiox adapter and could not adjust the aperture.

I guess you can do the preset process. Hit the DOF preview button and remove the lens. I have done that with the 19mm successfully locking the aperture at where ever it was set before the removal of the lens.

Paul Caldwell

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It needs to be a lens with the manual aperture lever on the rear of the lens. If it doesn't have that lever, then you shoot it wide open, or do as you suggested.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jack. Will the ED glass work with a Sony? I tried a couple of the ED lenses on the GFX with the Fotodiox adapter and could not adjust the aperture.

I guess you can do the preset process. Hit the DOF preview button and remove the lens. I have done that with the 19mm successfully locking the aperture at where ever it was set before the removal of the lens.

Paul Caldwell
This Metabones adapter has a built-in aperture and enables use of Nikon G-lenses (the ones without an aperture ring) on Sony E-mount cameras:

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_NFG-E-BM1

For cameras with an APS-C sensor, there's a Speed Booster version available.

Paul2660

Hi Jorgen.

I have used that adapter and it works great on the lenses with the aperture lever non electronic. The newer ED lenses are all electronic this no lever. So the new 24-70 70-200 105 19 and 200-500 all have this issue with adapters. I was never able to get the aperture to adjust on the ED lenses.

Also my metabones adapter eventually jammed on my 45mm nikkor. Thankfully SK Grimes was able to remove it and save the lens.

Paul Caldwell

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen.

I have used that adapter and it works great on the lenses with the aperture lever non electronic. The newer ED lenses are all electronic this no lever. So the new 24-70 70-200 105 19 and 200-500 all have this issue with adapters. I was never able to get the aperture to adjust on the ED lenses.

Also my metabones adapter eventually jammed on my 45mm nikkor. Thankfully SK Grimes was able to remove it and save the lens.

Paul Caldwell
That was interesting information. Thank you for the warning.

Paul2660

I should also add, I got to test the the new 105 1.4 at my local camera store, really it's just very impressive, as all the new ED lenses are.

I have the new 24-70 and 70-200, and both are just amazing optics. The 105 1.4 would have benefited from VR, at least from where I would be using it, but it is a wonder lens for sure.

Paul Caldwell

jduncan

Not a single working professional I know who uses Nikon is the least bit concerned with what Canon is doing, we use the gear because of the excellent system that it is.
Hi,
Maybe you are right and that is the reason Nikon is in the state it is[1]. Maybe Nikon professionals are different, and they don't care about value or any offering but Nikon's. They don't' test other gear, and they will commit seppuku before touching any gear that is not Nikon :). So Nikon, having this kind of consumers, simply grows lazy and expensive. They did introduce the D850, the best they can do, and were careful not to return to the errors of the past. The price is very good. I hope is a hint of change. This lens is overpriced. High quality and good value are important if they want to add new people. The minds and loyalties of new photographers don't belong to a particular brand. Thom pointed out some unusual assumption by Nikon:

"But let's talk cameras and lenses as outlined in the report. In particular, Nikon's current plan is to "target a profit-structure able to sustain the profit in a declining market." I've got two problems with this. First, it's not clear that the camera market is still declining. Certainly, Nikon's share of it is still declining, but there's actually been a bit of growth during the trailing 12 months"

Maybe Nikon doesn't want to target new people, and maybe they know that most Nikon pros are just like you, and could not care less about the rest of the industry.

By the way, nobody talked about switching to Canon because of one lens, what I say was: "I just wish Nikon was more aware of the competitive landscape."

By the way I am likely to buy the D850 next year, It fits my needs and I beleive will have good resale value in case I need to drop Nikon. It maybe my last DSLR. Yes, Nikon have to do stuff to ratain me, I am not a sure bet for them.

Best regards,
-------------------
[1] I know for a fact that some professionals have changed to Sony

Frankly

I'm a fan of the new 105/1.4e after owning most of the other 85-135 competitors... To me it offers the best overall "look" and AF performance. I do think it's $500 overpriced but everything else seems overpriced to me as well. I also got the 28/1.4e at the same time but I don't use wides as often... I wonder if a 24/1.4g would have accomplished the same thing for me when they go used for $900 less? Still it is my only wide and it will be useful, I don't second guess it much.

The D850 looks great but what I am most looking forward to is getting a third D810 for $1200 after the Holidays when people are broke.

I'm glad I stuck with Nikon although I wasn't much of customer, mostly buying their higher end gear used after someone else had already beta tested it and weeded out the long list of poor quality control/dumb design items.

Frankly

For whatever reason this lens is clicking with me better than the 85/1.4... and the AF seems much faster and more accurate. Just shot this portrait in the snow showers at Syracuse University this afternoon, D810. The subtle pattern in the background is a chain link fence!

Attachments

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For whatever reason this lens is clicking with me better than the 85/1.4... and the AF seems much faster and more accurate. Just shot this portrait in the snow showers at Syracuse University this afternoon, D810. The subtle pattern in the background is a chain link fence!
Great stuff :thumbs:

Photos like that makes me want this lens... a lot. Apart from the money thing, my limited budget, I only wish it would work with the F6. How about an F7 Nikon, or an F6s?

Frankly

Great stuff :thumbs:

Photos like that makes me want this lens... a lot. Apart from the money thing, my limited budget, I only wish it would work with the F6. How about an F7 Nikon, or an F6s?
Thanks! If you can handle manual focus and some correctable veiling flare the 105/1.8 AIS is a bargain used around $350-450. I like it better than the 85/1.4 AIS finding it easier to focus (and more compact, less expensive). I used to use the 135/2 AIS, another great lens.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks! If you can handle manual focus and some correctable veiling flare the 105/1.8 AIS is a bargain used around $350-450. I like it better than the 85/1.4 AIS finding it easier to focus (and more compact, less expensive). I used to use the 135/2 AIS, another great lens.
I used to have the 105/1.8, and it's indeed a fine lens, but the plan is to use mostly AF lenses on the Nikon bodies (I use Olympus OM bodies for manual focus). I do have the Samyang 135/2 though, and that's a very impressive lens, particularly for the price.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm a bit behind with the latest Nikon gear news but why doesn't the new 105 work with the F6? Is it just a metering thing (works fine in manual) or is it more fundamental (i.e. doesn't work at all)?
The lens has an electronic aperture that the F6 can't handle, so it will be permanently at f/1.4. I wonder if the new 1.6 kg Sigma monster will work?

jduncan

Great stuff: thumbs:

Photos like that make me want this lens... a lot. Apart from the money thing, my limited budget, I only wish it would work with the F6. How about an F7 Nikon, or an F6s?

Hi,

Time to wait for the reviews of the Sigma. Still, the Nikon has the advantage of being a compact lens. For Sony, the Sigma art is an excellent line: No focus issues, stabilization, good price. For us still living in the Nikon DSLR era :p the arts series has some autofocus issues.

It was a development announcement, so who knows how long it will take to be released. Also, we don't know the priority level (Canon, Sony Nikon, or Canon, Nikon, Sony or?)

Best regards,

wattsy

The lens has an electronic aperture that the F6 can't handle, so it will be permanently at f/1.4. I wonder if the new 1.6 kg Sigma monster will work?
Ok, thank you. What's the rationale for the E type aperture rather than G? Presumably there is some advantage to E that is worth sacrificing backwards compatibility?

jduncan

Ok, thank you. What's the rationale for the E type aperture rather than G? Presumably there is some advantage to E that is worth sacrificing backward compatibility?
Hi,

Yes, it forces you to buy a new camera and in the long run, it will help cut costs for Nikon but not for you. Also, it will remove one mechanical structure from the Mirrorless camera.

Besides that, they say that it will get better auto exposure during high-speed shooting and tracking.

Best regards,