The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any way to get Info off Display?

Mitchell

My new D700 is a marvel, sometimes too much of one. I'd like to make some things more simple.

Is there anyway to view my images with no written info? No numbering on the image itself? Just to get a look at the composition I've taken with no distractions?

Would greatly appreciate help to end this aggravation, but I fear Nikon thinks I'm more interested in the workings of their amazing camera than I am in the aesthetics of my humble images.

Best,

Mitchell

beamon

I share your wish, Mitchell. There was a thread about this on another board (can't remember which) and it appears that there is no way except that which Carlos notes. :(

Mitchell

Thanks Carlos and Roger.

Zoom in works, but changes the aspect ratio. The camera is amazing, but can't do simple.

Best,

Mitchell

Mitchell

Rant Warning:

I just can't get over it yet. They make a marvelous device to make pictures. They make it so you can instantly see the picture. But, they put stuff in the way of seeing the picture.

They give you a million choices about a million things, but they won't let you see undistracted your whole picture. It's so stupid!

I'm sure this is just a simple firmware choice. Can we get some enthusiasm to convince Nikon to change this?

Just curious, is Canon the same?

The great thing about Leica, for all their many limitations, is they get out of your way.

Thanks, I needed that.

Mitchell

etrigan63

The reason the aspect ratio changes is because the display on the back has a 5:4 aspect ratio while the sensor is 3:2. In light of this, showing image without the info ribbon on the bottom would still leave black bars on the top/bottom (like letterboxed movies on standard TV's). You gain nothing. Are you sure you only have the info ribbon showing, not the full on info display which eats up 3/4 of the display?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Rant Warning:

I just can't get over it yet. They make a marvelous device to make pictures. They make it so you can instantly see the picture. But, they put stuff in the way of seeing the picture.

They give you a million choices about a million things, but they won't let you see undistracted your whole picture. It's so stupid!

I'm sure this is just a simple firmware choice. Can we get some enthusiasm to convince Nikon to change this?

Just curious, is Canon the same?

The great thing about Leica, for all their many limitations, is they get out of your way.

Thanks, I needed that.

Mitchell
Now that is a nice constructive rant!
I agree with you Mitchell.
My favorite displays on any digital camera would be the whole picture with the easy one button momentary press for overlaying a thin and unobtrusive rgb histogram.
-bob

Mitchell

Hi Carlos,

I'm saying is the aspect ratio of the shot changes if you zoom one level because you loose more of the sides of the picture than the bottom or top. At any rate, you loose part of your composition.

I understand there will be black bars if there was no writing. That would be great!
What I'm after if an unobstructed view of the whole image (no numbering on the image), and no distracting numbers and letters immediately below the image.

I understand for many this if of no importance. I'd just like to see my whole image without with abutting signs. It's the same reason, I don't usually include billboards in my landscapes. !:^)

Jay Maisel, at a recent workshop, correctly told us, "You are responsible for every square millemeter in your frame!!!" This task is made easier if we can see every square millemeter in review. The D700 already challenges us with incomplete viewfinder coverage because of an understandable physical compromise. But, giving an unobstructed and undistracting image reveiw would cost nothing.

I'm sure I've wagged this dog to death.

Best,

Mitchell

Best,

Mitchell

etrigan63

I'm not disagreeing with you Mitchell. I'm just stating the physical explanation for the aspect change when you zoom. It should be simple to implement in firmware (I say this with 24+ years of IT systems design experience) since it is merely not displaying data. It could be programmed to the Info button.

Mitchell

Thanks Carlos,

Sorry if I came across as flamey. I didn't mean to. Glad you think it should be easy. That's what I think, but I don't know much about tech.

Best,

Mitchell

Lars

Less is more ($$$) hehe :) Funny how that works.

Mitchell, I'm totally with you on this, miss a clean playback view. Hey Nikon how about a firmware update? Removing text can't be that hard?