The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some aurora photos from last night

Stuart Richardson

Last night had a really intense, but brief aurora. I shot a bit of film, but mostly the D3. I shot at ISO 800 for between 8 and 25 seconds (which turned out to be about 2.5 stops underexposed...it was so dark that they looked fine on the display!). Anyway, they came out well. Lens was mostly the 17-35mm f/2.8 at f/4.5. For some shots I used the 24-70mm f/2.8

They are all here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com/lightroom/march-3rd-aurora/

Here are some samples:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Very nice Stuart. No. 1 is my favorite. Good on you for getting out there in the cold and dark!

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Beautiful images, Stuart.
Love the green sea, white snow, and are those horses in there?
Gandolfi.

Stuart Richardson

Thank you all.

Gandolfi -- the green sea is more from the reflection of the aurora.
It looks like this in the day:

And yes, they are horses. When I was starting to photograph, I saw a group of things moving in the distance. About 10 minutes later, the wind blew the odor of livestock towards me. I turned around and there were the horses, about 300 feet away, now behind me. They came up to me and said hello as I was on my way out.

jlm

Workshop Member
stuart...greats shots of an amazing phenomenon...looks a lot different than brooklyn, eh?

Lars

It's interesting to see how high-ISO opens up new photographic possibilities. Beautiful indeed.

Did you use daylight white balance?

Stuart Richardson

Thanks everyone, I am glad you like them.

John -- yes, very different than Brooklyn! Though I miss it there at times, I must say that this sort of thing is much more up my alley...and no one is going to stab me in that alley, which is a bonus!

Lars -- Yes, the D3 really does open up a lot of possibilities. These were at ISO 800, but most were pushed 2.5 stops, so really ISO 5000 equivalent...there is still not too much in the way of noise. There is definitely softening of detail, but the noise does not get in the way of the images.

White balance was around 4000-4500k, and I believe there is a fairly strong magenta bias...maybe +10 or 20. I find the snow and sky look better to me with a magenta cast than the greenish hue they get when they are left more neutral.

The crazy thing is that these are not really tweaked very much in processing. This is how the camera sees the aurora. I did not boost contrast or play with the curves...this is what it looks like.

And you can see it too...it is an utterly amazing phenomena, and it is something you must see to believe. What the photos cannot convey is the movement -- the way the lights move is very eerie and wonderful...like sheets blowing in the wind on a cosmic clothes line!

David K

Workshop Member
Really enjoyed these Stuart, thanks for sharing them. Seeing this in person is on my bucket list...

Shac

Thank you Stuart - it's been years since I saw the aurora - these images (& the ones on your site) are wonderful reminders as well as super images
David

Stuart Richardson

Thank you Davids and Wayne! Thanks for the head's up on the forecast as well Wayne...I will try to get out tomorrow and friday to see if I can find the lights.