The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need advice on a 20...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the input PJA and Michiel. I've owned the 17-35 for a few years but wasn't sure it was good enough for the D810. I just received the body yesterday, so will give it a shot before jumping to buy anything new. Although, if I was starting from scratch, I'd love to get that Nikkor 20, and the 85. Which might still happen if I cut back on eating for a few months. ;)

jsf

Jack you will like the 20mmG, that is what I bought to reduce the weight from the 17-35. I never cared about the corners otherwise the lens is an amazing lens. But I am getting to the point where losing a pound or or so for one lens is a big deal to me. Altogether I have shed 3.8 lbs on my gear that I travel with. That brings the Nikon down to 6 pounds plus the case and all of the necessary tools I keep in my case. Though my Fuji outfit with two bodies and the equivalent lenses is only 3.8 lbs. plus a much smaller case and necessary tools that I carry with me. I should weigh the two cases when they are packed for airplane travel and see how much difference between the two systems. When I am car traveling I just take the kitchen sink. I would be willing to bet that it is 60+ lbs. that I apparently can not leave at home. I wonder how others approach traveling light vs full on?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
As I was wandering through our own lovely B&S, I happened to happen on an ad for a Nikkor 18mm AFD... And so in a moment of weakness, I bought it. :facesmack:

Ken R gaves it a sort of "meh..." review in his dedicated review for it. But then puts it on his "Nikkors to own" list a few years later? ( :confused: ) He also runs it in his 17/18 ultrawide comparisons against 5 other lenses, and to my eyes, it fared pretty well.

Anyway, in a very informal, quick test, it did okay: surprisingly sharp in the central ⅔ image area, even wide open; edges and corners show a gradual softness that doesn't clean up much as I stop down. BUT, the lens has pretty severe curvature, to the point the close foreground corners become surprisingly usable, which actually can be a boon in ultra-wide landscape images.

So for right now, about all I can say is 1) it is a somewhat unique lens and 2) I like the focal length a lot -- moreso than 20. How well it performs for my actual uses remains to be seen...

PS: Another upside, is cropping to 20 eliminates a significant amount of the problem region.

Swissblad

Hi Jack

glad you found a suitable solution.

I'd forgotten about the old Nikkor 18mm....it is quite unique.... look forward to seeing your images.

Cheers, S ;)

DougDolde

DXO rates the Nikon 20mm G higher then the ZF.2 21mm.
I just sold my Zeiss 21 and will be buying the Nikon.

I'm shooting a lot more handheld with the D850 and autofocus is nice especially handheld

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Doug -- my 18 didn't gel with me and I've sold it, still looking for the ideal 20 solution.

(Edit: I just ordered my own copy of the 1.8G -- we will see... :cool:)

Last edited:

DougDolde

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Doug -- my 18 didn't gel with me and I've sold it, still looking for the ideal 20 solution.

(Edit: I just ordered my own copy of the 1.8G -- we will see... :cool:)
Just ordered a 20mm f1.8 G from mpb.com They are having a 10% off sale and I bought one in Like New condition for $609 with free shipping. They have three more

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So my little 20/1.8 arrived. First thing was setting AF fine tune, check. Next a few quick test grabs in my office before heading up to the Sierras tomorrow. Net result, I was pleased, as it seems to have good potential as a credible performer. What surprised was it's close-focus capability, a trait not often discussed -- and in fact not one I had considered with this particular choice. Anyway, it focuses decently close, and so the effect can be rather interesting. All in all, I'm happy so far and look forward to seeing what it can do in more typical shooting ;)

First a grab off my bookshelf to help ratchet the relative size of the geode in the next frame. That truck is a 1/24th model, and about 10 inches long total. Focus was on the rear wheel of the truck, lens at f5.6, and these are both in-cam D810 jpegs only sized in CS for screen:

This geode is maybe 3-½" wide total, lens very near it's closest focus, AF point was on the miner's hat, f5.6 (I set auto ISO and this image is at 3200):

Here's an actual pixel crop of the miner -- remember, this is an in-cam jpeg and at ISO 3200 so there is some artifacting and of course noise. I share it simply for posterity:

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We had a little a break between storms so went into Yosemite for a quick look. It was absolutely jam-packed with people. Seriously, in all my times in the park, even the peak of summer, I have never seen so many people here! Anyway, I was able to grab a few quick snaps with the new 20 and wanted to share to conclude my part of this thread. Short version, the little 20/1.8G pleases :D

Here's another in-cam D810 jpeg, but I processed it a bit in C1 for highlights and shadows. Obviously working the raw would be better, but I don't have my heavy laptop with me, so a rendered in-cam jpeg is what you get today ;) Note that the light was pretty harsh and contrasty, and there was of course atmospheric haze from the rising steam in the meadow beyond, both of which make for less than ideal big landscape shooting, so this is not something I think is special or I'm wanting to print. But I feel it gives a pretty good idea of what the lens is capable of. Downsized in CS with a few actual pixel crops for posterity. Focus was about mid-river, aperture f7.1:

Upper distance crop:

Closer edge crop:

DougDolde

Mine just arrived an hour ago. I don't go in the park (Joshua Tree) on weekends though for the same thing you are talking about at Yosemite, Too crowded