The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED

Ben730

My Nikkor 19 PC arrived this morning and I made a short test at infinity
and compared it with the Nikkor 14-24 mm and the Schneider Super Digitar 28XL with P40+.
I'm quite happy with this lens for the moment. After some jobs I can tell more. Until now, I didn't recognize a real
interference with the D800. It's better than with the 24 PC.

This is the link to download the RAWs as EIPs for C1.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hp5soyquuzqn6m0/AAAtTkk3zCKL0jRbbkekwd2qa?dl=0

I hope this gives you some information about this lens.
On the pictures below you can see how I made the tests. All shots where taken at F11. (That's what I need for architecture.)
I wrote the same post on LuLa because I think there are a lot people interested in some informations of this new lens.

Here is another picture (packed as EIP) with 12 mm shift up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yuynnu0hxs4g87/Nikkor19PC_12mmup.eip?dl=0
Regards,
Ben

Attachments

PJA

Many thanks for taking the time to do this and for posting the download links.

I'm seriously considering getting the PC 19mm. If you ever get the opportunity, I'd be very interested to see a vertical set with the camera in portrait mode going left to right with maximum shift, alongside the 14-24mm (in landscape orientation) to compare.

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thank you, Ben
And congrats on your new 19mm PC Nikkor :thumbup:
Just out of curiosity, could you please tell me what gear and settings you used to take the two above pictures ?
There's no Exif information left in the pictures.
Thank you in advance.
/Steen

Ben730

Just out of curiosity, could you please tell me what gear and settings you used to take the two above pictures ?
There's no Exif information left in the pictures.
Thank you in advance.
/Steen
I think the EXIF should be embedded in the EIPs. All shots are at F 11. The other settings are written in the file name.
Center means no shift, "12mmleft" means 12 mm shift on the left ...
The 14-24 is zoomed to +- 19 mm. I didn't use tilt.

Ben730

/Steen
I've just recognized that you may mean the two shots with tripod plus camera.
The pictures that show how I made my test.
I took them with the new Hasselblad H6D 400MS with it's new Rodenstock AF 60 mm HR 1:2 .........:ROTFL:

P. S.: I took them with my phone and I don't know the settings, it's all automatic, sorry.

Swissblad

Ditto - thanks and congrats Ben.

Look forward to more images - most interesting lens.

:thumbup:

Jérôme.E

Thanks a lot Ben for your work and the files,

First I put accentuation down to 200 0,6 0,7 for the D800 as it fit better my taste. Did the same with P40+ but as I've never used this back, there is may be a better preset.

I don't see that much difference between the 14-24 (@19) and 19 PCE Unshifted, may be a tiny better extreme corners-borders @100% (I prefer looking at my images @50% anyway on my "old" 1920p 24' monitor). The way they render seem quite identical.
I'm a bit disappointed by this, even if the 14-24 is a nice lens I thought the gain in micro-contrast, details and eventually tonality would be more significant (I red some comments about "Otus" like lens).

On the other hand, I'm pretty impress by the its capacity to hold great definition full shift all around the image. Very nice ! It's a great jump compared to my 24 PCE whom most of the time I don't go above 9mm. I feel my 24 PCE seems to have a better definition on the center however...must to be confirmed.

I would have thought the association of a MF sensor and a top notch lens (P40+ and 28XL) will surpass by a good margin the D800 + 19pce (even more unshifted). I don't see that much differences in general rendition as I do when looking at my (unfortunately sold) leaf aptus II 10 files compare to D800.

I'll buy the 19 PCE (expensive, 4000€ in France :loco:) because I think 19mm is a perfect range for my architectural work (a bit wide but can be eventually crop and can save shots in the narrows Paris' street) and managed full shifted nicely without (much) loss in quality. It would be nice to see some interiors test with short to average focus range also ... surely soon as the lens begin to be ship.
Selling my 24PCE ? I'm not so sure now.

Ben730

The accentuation was the latest placement, it's not what I would use of course.
But for tests I turn the modulators in all directions. That's why I uploaded EIPs.

I also think the 14-24 and the 19 look very close, at infinity,
but the Schneider 28 XL is clearly better.
I will upload some closer shots next week.
The price here in Switzerland felt down to CHF 3300. I think it's the same in France.
Regards,
Ben

Attachments

Alkibiades

thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with the 19 mm nikkor.
I was serching for that kind of test since the lens was introduced.
You are the first who made such test pics with this lens: thanks a lot for this.
As I can see on the test pics it is a very good lens- best shift -tilt wide angle from nikon, but not better than canon 17mm or 24 mm II. When we compare the prices- Nikon is twice more expensive than the canon lenses- we could expect more.
I use 11-24 mm on hartblei hartcam and mostly 20 mm with full shift till 15 mm. I think the results are similar in sharpness.
Nice to see that the schneider in combination with a digi back is clear better- the chip size does really matter here.
I wait for more achitecture pics with full movements....

My Nikkor 19 PC arrived this morning and I made a short test at infinity
and compared it with the Nikkor 14-24 mm and the Schneider Super Digitar 28XL with P40+.
I'm quite happy with this lens for the moment. After some jobs I can tell more. Until now, I didn't recognize a real
interference with the D800. It's better than with the 24 PC.

This is the link to download the RAWs as EIPs for C1.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hp5soyquuzqn6m0/AAAtTkk3zCKL0jRbbkekwd2qa?dl=0

I hope this gives you some information about this lens.
On the pictures below you can see how I made the tests. All shots where taken at F11. (That's what I need for architecture.)
I wrote the same post on LuLa because I think there are a lot people interested in some informations of this new lens.

Here is another picture (packed as EIP) with 12 mm shift up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yuynnu0hxs4g87/Nikkor19PC_12mmup.eip?dl=0
Regards,
Ben
Hi Brian, I know its a rather old thread- Have you been using the 19PCE satisfactorily for your architecture shoot? I have the canon 17mm & 24TSE and am tempted to get this new Nikon PCE. Also, what is the lens shade that you are using with both the Schneider and Nikon lens? Thank you and regards, Harshan

Ben730

Harshan
The lens is great, and I use it for my professional work, when I have to use a Dslr.
I still prefer shooting architecture with my Cambo WRS and the Rodenstock 23 HR and the Schneider 28 XL.

I don't know the Canon 17 + 24. I can't tell if it's worth the investment if you have the Canons,
but what I can tell you is: It's hard to beat this 19 PCE.

The lens shades are customized SINARs.
Sinar Kompendiummaske 493.23.041
Sinar Kompendiummaske - Imagelink AG, Zürich/Schweiz | Hard- und Software für Fotografie

Regards,
Ben

Last edited:

Nutcracker

Harshan
The lens is great, and I use it for my professional work, when I have to use a Dslr.
I still prefer shooting architecture with my Cambo WRS and the Rodenstock 23 HR and the Schneider 28 XL.

I don't know the Canon 17 + 24. I can't tell if it's worth the investment if you have the Canons,
but what I can tell you is: It's hard to beat this 19 PCE.

The lens shades are customized SINARs.
Sinar Kompendiummaske 493.23.041
Sinar Kompendiummaske - Imagelink AG, Zürich/Schweiz | Hard- und Software für Fotografie

Regards,
Ben
Has anybody used this lens on MF such as Alpa FPS?
I have at last obtained the 19MM PCE to try.
With the latest firmware (V4) on FPS with IQ180, it seems very sharp across the field at f8, even exposure, no edge or corner cutoff.
Not yet tried other apertures, nor shift nor tilt.
I have not had replies to queries at Alpa.

archivue

New from LEE filter !

The LEE SW150 Mark II Filter System
This innovative system means it's now possible to use filters with a more extensive range of ultra-wideangle lenses than ever before.

Nikon PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED Tilt-Shift
Adaptors are available for both the SW150 and 100mm Systems. The 100mm Adaptor doesn't allow full lens movement without vignetting.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-sw150