The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need Advice on Autofocus Tracking with D810

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Greetings! I feel I should confess that in spite of owning a D700 for 5 years and before that a D2xs, I now realize (with the arrival of my new D810) that I've never used any of the more advanced auto focusing features in any of them. I've been content to assign the shutter release to the AF-On button and use a single point selector—Focus, re-compose, and shoot.

I think I've overlooked some of the tremendous power built into these cameras and wonder if any of you might have some experiences to share on what works best for you. As a general statement I would say that my primary goal would be to track focus on Ellie, my 1-year old Golden Retriever. I don't do sports or photograph wildlife (normally).

I'll attach a sample of the kind of thing I want to do. The shot was a test of my now ancient 70-200 on the new D810 body. Only after the session ended did I realize I had the autofocus settings wrong and this frame was about the only one with reasonably accurate focus.

So what settings do you use to track a moving subject?

Testing-Ellie6.jpg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am not a sports shooter, so maybe others will have better ideas. Until then, this is what I do: In continuous "C" mode -- AF center button press, rear command wheel to select "C" or "S" mode, front command wheel then selects options in those modes -- I use AF Dynamic 3D mode. In AF-S mode, also my regular mode, I use regular single point AF. Back to the point, when in continuous AF mode, the 3D dynamic tracks moving subjects by color based on where you initially focused and stays locked on them as thy move -- pretty slick.

Last edited: