The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody use the Nikkor 58mm f1.4G?

Swissblad

Hi folks

I'm toying with purchasing this lens....... but would like to hear from users beforehand.

Thanks

S

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob has one, he likes it a lot for people/model work. It is sharp with a gentle "old school" rendering -- sort of like the 50/1.2 only tighter, or a Mandler design for a Nikon :)

I cannot say enough good things about the 58mm 1.4G. It is a dream come true lens in a lot of ways from Nikon who has not had a pro normal in sooo long. This lens has the rendering and DoF of a Noctilux and a touch of compression to remove the common facial distortion you get with 50mm lenses up close. For a wedding photographer like me it's a dream lens. The thing is a bokeh machine. People complain that it's a little soft wide open, and it is. But so what? It sharpens up really nicely, and stop it down to F2 and it's tack sharp. If you're up close, shooting a portrait at 1.4, you can still count every single eyelash and suddenly you don't see every single skin blemish. This is basically how the lens was designed to perform and for my clients, that's a good thing. The other thing to consider is that you actually have 2 great choices in AF normals these days. The 58/1.4G for creamy-dreamy bokeh and portrait work, or the 50mm 1.4 ART for anything requiring absolute sharpness at 1.4 at the expense of some rendering.

Scroll through this thread and you can see a lot of great examples of what this lens can do: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1253369/244

As a side note, if you've ever shot with a Pentax 67 and the 105/2.4, it's matches that look, DOF, and perspective very closely.