The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SIGMA ART secret ?

archivue

I've first bought the 35 art, i was so happy with it... that few months later i've test the 50 ART and bought it.
Fews month ago, i was in the process to buy a 20 nikon, i've received a bad copy so i decide to test the sigma 20... guess what ? ... i've bought it !

Nikon's 85 are good, and their new expensive 105 looks perfect... but there's a new 85 sigma art... (but i don't think DxoMark is the best way to know the truth about a lens... ).

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art lens: ?new benchmark? according to DxOMark, better scores than the Zeiss Ottus | Nikon Rumors

and on the top of it, the sigma's dock is by far the best option in the market to fine tune AF.

here is my question, i don't believe in magical stuff... what's the secret go sigma to be able to produce top quality lenses for a fraction of the cost ?
Bad component inside, not build to last ?

Dogs857

I don't think it's a secret, just a focused business decision.

Sigma have always made good quality lenses, sometimes even the equivalent or better that the big boys. Where they were let down in the past was with QC, especially in the days before we could fine tune auto focus in body. Sigma earned a reputation of producing dogs and thoroughbreds in the same line. What one person would rave about, another would say they have been through 5 copies and they were all bad. Have a look at some old reviews, people will complain roundly that one copy front focused badly, another back focused badly etc etc. Even after fine tuning became a regular thing this reputation stayed with the company. Add to that a finish that used to wear off, no weather sealing and cheap price and Sigma would be written off by all and sundry.

Sigma have a desire to be regarded as one of the worlds best, and it is that mission statement that has brought us the Art line. With better QC at the factory, and that excellent dock idea, they are now a world leader. You know they must be doing something right when Canon comes sniffing around looking to buy your company.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Dogs -- I think it as simple as a great design, state of the art manufacturing equipment and processes, and a commitment to tight QC.

But also notable is there is one thing Sigma Art lenses are not -- and that is light-weight or compact ;) So, throw weight and size limits out the door and settle on prioritizing optimal optical designs instead, and voila, you have the ART series of glass...

Yeah it all comes down to design philosophies. Sigma decided the time was right to become a "premium" brand. Any of the major makes, if they choose to, can create amazing lenses. Sigma I think correctly identified a market for very sharp, very fast lenses. They come at the expense of weather sealing and heft. None of my ART lenses are fun to "walk around" with. But on the job they're indispensable. They have made me consider the 1.8G line just from a size/weight perspective. If you look at Tamron it's clear they're focusing on their zooms, and excelling in many ways. It's a good time to buy lenses. I think Nikon is wisely coming out with interesting lenses like the 58/1.4 and 105/1.4. The Siggy 50 has not replaced my 58, I can safely say that. I did get the 35 & 24 though. The price could not be denied. I would never buy that monterous 85mm. If I had the cash I'd get the 105 or the 85/1.8G.

cerett

I agree with Dogs -- I think it as simple as a great design, state of the art manufacturing equipment and processes, and a commitment to tight QC.

But also notable is there is one thing Sigma Art lenses are not -- and that is light-weight or compact ;) So, throw weight and size limits out the door and settle on prioritizing optimal optical designs instead, and voila, you have the ART series of glass...
Funny, many people equate being heavy with higher quality and expense. My Zeiss prime lenses with a Nikon mount are quite heavy. Perhaps, more metal, less plastic. Not saying that's true, just an observation. I own a Sigma 24 and 35mm and both are really excellent.

archivue

from Nikon rumors :

Just a few hours after Sigma announced their new Sigma 14mm f/1.8 and 135mm Art lenses, Zeiss introduced a big price drop on their own 15mm, 18mm and 135mm ZF.2 full frame DSLR lenses for Nikon F mount:

Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm f/2.8 ZF.2: $951 off
Zeiss Distagon T* 18mm f/3.5 ZF.2: $400 off
Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2: $623 off