The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D820 Rumours

Swissblad

It would make sense to compete with the Sony/Canon equivalents.....for those who need more MP.
I'm not really interested - I'm fine with the current selection of bodies - in most cases 24/36MP is already more than sufficient.
YMMV.

:cool:

PS Like your slogan....I prefer to chase photo opportunities.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's bound to come sooner or later, and 46 to 50 MP seems the right mark. So this is either a credible rumor or an educated guess, but likely to come to fruition. Regardless, if Nikon builds it, I will very likely be an early adopter...

jduncan

I love a good rumor.

Check this one out New rumors: Nikon D820 with 46MP | Nikon Rumors

Are we due to an upgrade to the D810 yet?? Seems Nikon is not yet finished playing the MP race just yet.

I am a little concerned about the 46mp value. It seems to confirm that Sony has gone with their promise of keeping the best sensors for themselves[1]. It will be a disaster if we have a situation similar to the D5 and the performance of te D820 is inferior, in terms of image quality, to the D810. On the other hand, if the sensor performs and we get the D5 / D500 autofocus system, faster performance and XQD and better sensor at a reasonable price the camera may turn to be a winner. I still under the idea that a lower MP machine with the D5 autofocus and fantastic video could be a boom with most of the wedding photographers. In any case, Nikon doesn't have any compelling technology. Excellent lenses, excellent execution of the DSLR (I use Nikon) but nothing eye catching for new costumers.

------
[1] I was under the impression that part of the deal with the regulators to acquire Toshiba was not to do that, but I may be wrong. Nikon, at least publicly is a very passive company (Can you image the USA or Korean company under bloody competition with Sony and saying nothing about the lack of support with professional flashes? now Sonny has and Nikon never say anything.)
1) http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/28/9625218/sony-buying-toshiba-sensor-division
2)

JohnBrew

I'm leaning towards the higher mp body, most likely above 50 mp. Bragging rights and all that. 46mp is not enough of an increase to warrant trading my D810. But Nikon needs to bring a little more to the table than just mp's. Wider AF spread points and could we even hope for mirrorless for less bulk and weight and other benefits?

When we get a new sensor what kind of demands will it make on current glass? I'm certain the latest Nikon releases and Zeiss Otus will be fine but what about the older Ai and Ais stuff? I'm sure it will get very interesting.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm probably the only one here that would like to see a 4:3 aspect sensor in a regular DSLR body, and one that worked with current lens IC's...

So in my dream world, the D820 would be 50-ish MP on a 27x36 (or 26x35) sensor...

M

mjr

I've been running the D810 and D500 side by side for a while now so I have a pretty clear idea of what I'd like, everything the D500 can do, focus and frame rate with the D810 sensor, I personally don't need anything more than that!

Mat

jduncan

I'm leaning towards the higher mp body, most likely above 50 mp. Bragging rights and all that. 46mp is not enough of an increase to warrant trading my D810. But Nikon needs to bring a little more to the table than just mp's. Wider AF spread points and could we even hope for mirrorless for less bulk and weight and other benefits?

When we get a new sensor what kind of demands will it make on current glass? I'm certain the latest Nikon releases and Zeiss Otus will be fine but what about the older Ai and Ais stuff? I'm sure it will get very interesting.
You are right, but with the Sony situation, if the sensor has a better performance than the D810 at low and high iso, the autofocus of the D5 /D500, you have an XQD card and top video performance (what about 120fps 4K and decent video autofocus?) Nikon has a winner.
By the way, this is not my wich list, is my perception of the market. The video stuff is not something I need or I will even use, but I believe the market will love it.

It will not be enough to gain market share against Sony, but it could make Nikon bleed slowly and buy them time to regroup. Or so I believe.

Best regards,

markhout

So in my dream world, the D820 would be 50-ish MP on a 27x36 (or 26x35) sensor...
If the typical Nikon-lens image circle would cover that sensor size (I assume that Nikon lenses cover close to 36x36), I'll gladly let my wallet suffer.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
They'll for sure cover the diagonal of a 24x36 frame, and 26x35 has the same diagonal -- 27x36 is a tad bigger, but I suspect most would cover fine.

Ben730

I'm probably the only one here that would like to see a 4:3 aspect sensor in a regular DSLR body, and one that worked with current lens IC's...

Jack, you are not alone!

jph

If they went longer vertical, wouldn't they need a longer mirror? That would mean the mirror would sweep out further. If it required longer spacing in the mirror box, and it effected the flange to sensor distance, the current lenses wouldn't work.

Or, they could go to an EVF, and do whatever they wanted within the confines of the lens image circle. Naahh... , they'll probably go with a slightly modified sensor, based on the A7RII. Though we can still dream.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If they went longer vertical, wouldn't they need a longer mirror? That would mean the mirror would sweep out further. If it required longer spacing in the mirror box, and it effected the flange to sensor distance, the current lenses wouldn't work.

Or, they could go to an EVF, and do whatever they wanted within the confines of the lens image circle. Naahh... , they'll probably go with a slightly modified sensor, based on the A7RII. Though we can still dream.
Possibly -- I am not certain their internal F2F distance currently is at the limit of the mirror --- IOW, the mirror needs to be 1.41 (root2)x 27mm, or roughly 38mm tall, so F2F needs to be something greater than that, and I'm fairly certain it already is.

Of course with EVF progressing as it has, this particular mirror conversation may be moot for the D820 anyway :D

Niels_Patrick

I am really keen on a d820 - this camera will be an indicator for the Nikon system if its future proof or not. So many other options poped up lately. Sony, Hassy X1d, Fuji .... Has anybody release dates? Events comming up? Am I the only one who is worried in investing in Nikon?

___

www.geisselbrecht.biz

jsf

The higher pixels would be a nice bonus but 36MP is quite sufficient. But if they came out with a 46MP AND really clean 6400 ISO files and 25,000 ISO really usable files, I don't care about frame rate or buffer speed, Just high ISO with a decent amount of MP. 24 MP would do it if the new DF has these specs, oh baby, my wife is going to be doing a lot of eye rolling and will definitely have an opinion on it.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
My wishlist is rather mundane. I'm still using the D800E and am thinking I might skip the D810. But, that said...

A small resolution bump wouldn't hurt, say to 45MP.

Minor improvements to the color filters - the transition to red is a bit steep. Not surprising due to the higher sensitivity at the red/IR end, so it's a tradeoff between ISO sensitivity and overall spectral balancing away from red. I would prefer it not to light up in the reds quite so easily and would happily trade off ISO sensitivity. It makes things like red fall leaves look brilliant, but blotches up human skin and makes other kinds of subjects capture poorly.

Facial recognition, tracking, and automatic AF point selection. Light up the AF point so I can see what it's tracking. I shoot a lot of talking heads, and this would be convenient. Even better, eye recognition with a facial fallback. Maybe two auto eye modes: close-in where an AF point fits on the actual eyeball, and one where focus ends up on the brow - in the latter case, auto adjust focus backwards a point or two to approximately shift it to the eye even if the brow is what's tracked.

Let me switch between faces or eyes with the thumb dial/stick/controls.

Add animal facial/head recognition.

Let me engage the crop frames in the viewfinder without cropping the raw image. The JPEG can be stored cropped to reflect the viewfinder frame.

More sizing options for small JPEGs.

But this is all in the "convenience" category...