The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

135mm lovers: New ART lens, Zeiss drops price.

jduncan

Hi,

Good news for the people (including myself) that like a good, fast 135mm for portraiture:

1. Sigma announces the 135mm 1.8 :https://www.dpreview.com/news/19425...m-f1-8-24-70mm-f2-8-and-135mm-f1-8-art-lenses

2. Big rebate on the 135mm f2.0 by Zeiss: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/0/Ntt/ZE1352ASZ*/N/0

3. The Nikon 70-200mm f2.8E is so good that people could use it instead, depending on weight considerations.

Zeiss lenses have this unique render to them. In particular, the 135mm and the Otus series just look different, in a very appealing way.

Speculative:
But the Sigma do autofocus. Sigmas' issue could become the same they have with the 85mm art f1.4: Tamron has a lens that is, most of the time 90% of the art is much more compact and has VC for video or street and is less expensive. Le

Best regards,

archivue

not only the 135...

Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm f/2.8 ZF.2: $951 off
Zeiss Distagon T* 18mm f/3.5 ZF.2: $400 off
Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2: $623 off

even in manual mode : with zeiss, you can't tune focus confirmation... with the sigma dock you can fine tune focus confirmation !

a huge difference for me !

Dogs857

I wonder if this means that Zeiss is moving stock to discontinue their old line now the Milvus is up and running??

jvora

Hello :

A side note on the Sigma Art Lenses - What are the chance of a 180mm/200mm f/2.8 Art Lens by Sigma - This is the missing lens in my bag !

Thanks,

Jai

jduncan

Hello :

A side note on the Sigma Art Lenses - What are the chance of a 180mm/200mm f/2.8 Art Lens by Sigma - This is the missing lens in my bag!

Thanks,

Jai
As a Nikon shooter, the point of the 180mm f2.8 is that it's light and compact.
That is not exactly a Sigma ART lens description.
But, yes having an 180mm f2.8 lens can be wonderful. The New Nikon 70-200 f2.8e and the new Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2, nevertheless underscore that the at the crux of a 180mm f2.8 should be weight. The 180mm f2.8, then, appears more a challenge for Tamron than Sigma.

Best regards,

BlinkingEye

For this life of me I do not understand why Zeiss does not do what Sigma, Tamron and Tokina do and reverse engineer Nikon's AF protocols so they can bring an AF F-mount lens. Alternately, it would be nice if Nikon would share information with third parties the way Sony reportedly does.

jduncan

For this life of me I do not understand why Zeiss does not do what Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina do and reverse engineer Nikon's AF protocols so they can bring an AF F-mount lens. Alternately, it would be nice if Nikon would share information with third parties the way Sony reportedly does.
Hi,
Maybe they are afraid. Tamron had to pay Nikon for the VC.
The point is, nowadays you almost don't have legal rights if you don't have money.
If Nikon and Canon sue them, even if Zeiss win, the economic stress of defending yourself for years (legal fees) could be too much for them.
I will love to see the Zeiss lenses with AF. The Art 85mm f1.4 may have a higher or equivalent resolution, but the render of the Zeiss lenses is simply another thing, of the beautiful kind. The art series are technical perfection, but the Zeiss lenses are art and magic.
For me, price and AF mean I will move for the ART 135mm once it's properly tested and the initial batch issues, if any, are ironed.

Best regards,