The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The D7500, an interesting camera

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've said many times that if the D5500/D5600 had a decent viewfinder, that's the camera that I would buy. Apparently, Nikon thinks somewhat along the same lines at me. The D7500 is exactly that, a more advanced D5600 with a good viewfinder. Ironically it was launched only hours after I ordered my third m4/3 body, the G85.

The sensor in the D7500 is the best there is of course, the same as in the D500. What's interesting though is how they've downgraded it compared to the D7200:

- Only one SD-slot
- No vertical grip option
- Lower resolution LCD

But apart from that, it's mostly good news. Tilting LCD is exactly what I would have wished for (although I would have wished for a fully articulated one more) and 4K video is great. The improved sensor has been mentioned, and it can shoot 50 uncompressed RAW files during an 8fps burst. Unfortunately, Nikon hasn't included peaking. I don't know what it is with Nikon (and Canon) and peaking, but it's a serious omission for a camera that shoots high resolution video, and would be helpful for stills too with any manual focus lens using live view.

I won't cancel the G85, but at the least 1.5 stops of better high ISO and a much better auto ISO implementation for sure is tempting. On the other hand, the availability of price worthy f/1.2 and f/0.95 lenses plus dual IS halfway compensates for the high ISO noise on the Panasonic. I might buy one anyway... later. Sometimes I simply want an OVF and for action and sports, there's no competition. The Nikons run circles around any mirrorless at the racing circuits. Until then, I have the D300 and D2Xs and they still work very well :)

momo

Was thinking this might be a nice 'all rounder' type, smaller, lighter, aps-c body for me. But then, bam, no ai pin to help with my ai-s manual focus lenses. That lack of compatibility, versatility, may see this body go by the wayside for me. I really like the old glass.

Also, right now the only place I see this in France it's listed as 1550 euros, body only. That may change come June when it is supposed to go up for sale, but that's a far cry from the 1250 dollars it's being announced for in the USA. 900 euros for the D7200. About 2100 for the D500.

The way Nikon has changed up the d7200 upgrade, it doesn't feel like an enthusiast dx body anymore. Kinda taking a hit, for what, to make the Nikon bean counters happy?

Still. I hope for nikon's sake they can sell a lot of these.

Me. I'm gonna wait. See how things shake out over the next year or so. Won't be an early buyer because of the many quality control issues that have plagued nikon. Will also wait for the 'options' i need/want to buy in a body. But certainly want smaller, lighter and well built. Really see things I like in the D810, but want tilt lcd, smaller, lighter...

Also curious about the path nikon will go down after announcing their shake up and new goals moving forward.

M

V

Vivek

Jorgen, Interesting. Everytime Nikon annouces a new cam, you put a positive spin on it and end up buying a Panasonic m43 camera.

I am also pretty much in a similar thinking mode (but buy the "walkman" variety). :grin:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) no ai pin to help with my ai-s manual focus lenses (...)

Yes, in my opinion that lack of backward compatibility is a stupid move by Nikon :loco:

For the moment it makes the D7200 a far better choice for all those that own and use AI and AI-S lenses - and we are many :lecture:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The only two cameras that could bring me back into Nikon are

1) D500 whenever a better standard zoom and a real Pro DX zoom for wildlife are released

2) D820/850 with AF system of D5 and decent video implementation of AF

Other than that I am very happy with Olympus m43 and Fuji X :cool:

stngoldberg

The only two cameras that could bring me back into Nikon are

1) D500 whenever a better standard zoom and a real Pro DX zoom for wildlife are released

2) D820/850 with AF system of D5 and decent video implementation of AF

Other than that I am very happy with Olympus m43 and Fuji X :cool:
The D500 with the 200-500mm zoom is terrific for wildlife
Stanley

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, Interesting. Everytime Nikon annouces a new cam, you put a positive spin on it and end up buying a Panasonic m43 camera.

I am also pretty much in a similar thinking mode (but buy the "walkman" variety). :grin:
... and I will continue to do so until

a) I can afford to have two systems

or

b) I get into sports photography again

or

c) Nikon launches a mirrorless system that is better than m4/3, either because the lenses are as good as those I use at the moment and/or because it works well with legacy glass.

As for Ai/AiS support, I reacted negatively to that too, but realistically more than 90% of the potential customers only use AF lenses. Most users of legacy glass prefer FX.

V

Vivek

c) Nikon launches a mirrorless system that is better than m4/3, either because the lenses are as good as those I use at the moment and/or because it works well with legacy glass.
In mycase, which is similar, replace m43 with Sony FF ("FX" in Nikon lingo). Nikon legacy lenses work just fine on Sony cams as well. Ken Lee has been posting in the old lenses thread, for example.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The D500 with the 200-500mm zoom is terrific for wildlife
Stanley
It is, but it's terrible to travel with due to size and weight. Both the Fuji and Panasonic 100-400mm lenses are equally good optically, seem to have better build quality but weigh more or less half of the Nikkor at 1,375 and 985 grams respectively.

One thing I've never understood is that Nikon, even when APS-C was their only choice of camera bodies, failed to deliver professional standard wide angle primes and telephoto zooms and primes that took advantage of the smaller format. The myth was that there wasn't much to gain physically at the long end, but Fuji and Panasonic have both proven the myth to be just that; a myth.

The late launch of the D500 is a strong indication that even people at Nikon didn't believe that DX would last for professional use. The success of the camera, and also the success of Fuji's cameras with the same sensor size, have proven them wrong of course. With current and future sensor technology, the DX format is an increasingly interesting option. I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to sell a D5 DX in reasonable quantities, particularly in combination with a more compact, high quality telephoto zoom. They would even be able to make a couple of f/1.2 or 1.0 lenses for the smaller format, since the exit pupil could be smaller, fitting the narrow F-mount. Samyang makes a stellar 50mm f/1.2 for mirrorless APS-C and m4/3. There's a waiting list, and I'm on it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It is, but it's terrible to travel with due to size and weight. Both the Fuji and Panasonic 100-400mm lenses are equally good optically, seem to have better build quality but weigh more or less half of the Nikkor at 1,375 and 985 grams respectively.

One thing I've never understood is that Nikon, even when APS-C was their only choice of camera bodies, failed to deliver professional standard wide angle primes and telephoto zooms and primes that took advantage of the smaller format. The myth was that there wasn't much to gain physically at the long end, but Fuji and Panasonic have both proven the myth to be just that; a myth.

The late launch of the D500 is a strong indication that even people at Nikon didn't believe that DX would last for professional use. The success of the camera, and also the success of Fuji's cameras with the same sensor size, have proven them wrong of course. With current and future sensor technology, the DX format is an increasingly interesting option. I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to sell a D5 DX in reasonable quantities, particularly in combination with a more compact, high quality telephoto zoom. They would even be able to make a couple of f/1.2 or 1.0 lenses for the smaller format, since the exit pupil could be smaller, fitting the narrow F-mount. Samyang makes a stellar 50mm f/1.2 for mirrorless APS-C and m4/3. There's a waiting list, and I'm on it.
Could not agree more - there is a huge advantage to gain from the smaller APSC format for more compact and faster lenses specially designed for DX.

Albeit IMHO it is already too late - to win me over again that would need to be such stellar and outstanding designs compared to what is already great with Fuji and m43 that it seems sheer impossible to top that. Plus Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic will not rest where they are today.

jduncan

I've said many times that if the D5500/D5600 had a decent viewfinder, that's the camera that I would buy. Apparently, Nikon thinks somewhat along the same lines at me. The D7500 is exactly that, a more advanced D5600 with a good viewfinder. Ironically it was launched only hours after I ordered my third m4/3 body, the G85.

The sensor in the D7500 is the best there is, of course, the same as in the D500. What's interesting though is how they've downgraded it compared to the D7200:

- Only one SD-slot
- No vertical grip option
- Lower resolution LCD

But apart from that, it's mostly good news. Tilting LCD is exactly what I would have wished for (although I would have wished for a fully articulated one more) and 4K video is great. The improved sensor has been mentioned, and it can shoot 50 uncompressed RAW files during an 8fps burst. Unfortunately, Nikon hasn't included peaking. I don't know what it is with Nikon (and Canon) and peaking, but it's a serious omission for a camera that shoots high-resolution video and would be helpful for stills too with any manual focus lens using live view.

I won't cancel the G85, but at the least 1.5 stops of better high ISO and a much better auto ISO implementation for sure is tempting. On the other hand, the availability of price worthy f/1.2 and f/0.95 lenses plus dual IS halfway compensates for the high ISO noise on the Panasonic. I might buy one anyway... later. Sometimes I simply want an OVF and for action and sports, there's no competition. The Nikons run circles around any mirrorless at the racing circuits. Until then, I have the D300 and D2Xs and they still work very well :)

Yes, it's interesting in the sense that it's illustrative of why Nikon lost, at least for a while the second position on the USA market to Sony. This cashmere is a bunch of nonsense:

1. Lower resolution sensor, with not super redeeming qualities like dynamic range (good chip for the D500 because it allows very high shooting range but for the replacement of the D7xxx series means going back.

2. A single card slot. It was one of the points Nikon had over Canon and Sony counterparts. Notice Sony, the company that replace them.

3. It does 4K and that is great until you learn that the camera does not support High-speed cards. Really???

4. No dual pixel AF. This one is OK they simply do not have the capabilities, but they removed any compensation.

5. Focus motor: IT's good that they keep it.

They believe people that used to but into the D7xxx series will just buy the D500 instead. They will not. The D500 does not use the same accessories than the D7xxx series. More expensive ones. The D7xxxx was the machine, that we Nikonians used to recommend to aspiring artists on a budget. We use to say peek an old D7xxx over a D5xxxx. Lots of control, good build, the ability to grow, focus motor etc.

Finally: Maybe is part of Nikon's strategy of downsizing themselves. Maybe they want to sale less, not more. Time will tell.

Sony is innovating, today they show it once more. We are close to the point of no return for Nikon.

Best regards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Can the A9 shoot for 8 hours uninterrupted in the rain?
Will it work flawlessly after being dropped on the tarmac with a 300mm lens?
Will the battery last for 3,000 shots, or will I have to change batteries every half hour just to be on the safe side?
Finally simply forget any DSLR . just my 5c.

Spares a lot of headache :D

rayyan

Nice discussion to while away the time.

My contribution...

If I cannot make images ( to my liking ), with what has been out there till the D7500 was introduced; I will not get any better.

Excuses, and deficiencies of camera equipment, are just that...lame excuses.

Heck, I can make images of myself, with an IPhone...and wonder how handsome I am.

Nothing wrong with self delusion :D

V

Vivek

iPhone- made by Apple is a topic for another discussion. :lecture: ;)

jduncan

Can the A9 shoot for 8 hours uninterrupted in the rain?
Will it work flawlessly after being dropped on the tarmac with a 300mm lens?
Will the battery last for 3,000 shots, or will I have to change batteries every half hour just to be on the safe side?

Even more important the buffer takes 36 seconds to empty the buffer (according to this tests:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztcf_6sp-Kg&ab_channel=MaxYuryev&t=230). The D5 and D500 have a basically infinite buffer. By the way, the battery life issue is almost solved, it's not the D4 but it seems to be very good.

But this is beyond the point. The issue is, one company is innovating the other introduced a camera that is equal or worse than the previews one, and removes key competitive advantages from it. Please remember the update of the D5xxx series and the fact that the D5 do have a lower dynamic range than the D4 (but the D5 is a far better camera, the autofocus alone is worth the loss of dynamic range). Notice that they attach the economic problems by taking a page from Nikon.

Finally is not only facts, Nikon needs to capture the imagination. As the experts of total quality use to say: "perception is reality".

Best regards,