The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One body, one prime -- your thoughts

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Croppability of 30+ MP sensors is a good point -- the Df lacks here. But then again, whenever I shoot with a prime I always seem to naturally "make pictures that fit the frame I'm looking through."
This is an important point. Although I sometimes crop, the key to a successful composition lies in working with the focal length that is actually on the camera, not with 27 possible crops of that focal length. Sometimes, being single minded is the key to success.

Dustbak

This is an important point. Although I sometimes crop, the key to a successful composition lies in working with the focal length that is actually on the camera, not with 27 possible crops of that focal length. Sometimes, being single minded is the key to success.
Sure thing but that also makes it impossible to get the view that you would get with other focal lengths. It is difficult to envision an image with for instance 50mm in mind perspective-whise while carrying a camera that has a 24mm attached to it. Most people's natural behaviour would be to fill the frame. Which is what I meant with 'swallowing the pride'.

I might just grap the 58 or 35 and be done with it. Being able to relax and taking photographs without having to think them over is also not to be underestimated.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Interesting comments so far. On cropping I must be different --- when I shoot with a prime, I guess I just "see" images that fit that prime before I even bring the camera to my eye; rarely do I even need to step in or out to get my desired framing. Croppability would only come into play for me if I "saw" a really great image that I physically couldn't get close enough to it to make it work with the existing prime...

iiiNelson

For a Nikon kit I'd go with the Df with a reasonably fast 35 or 50 due to lowlight ability and decent megapixel count. That would be pretty versatile and there's the possibility of stitching in post if need be.

Personally I'd go with an A7RII with either the 50 Loxia, 35/1.4 or 50/1.4 Sony Zeiss, or the 55/1.8 Sony Zeiss... if I wanted to stay light then the RX1mk2 would work. Another option would be the Leica M Monochrom CCD and the 35/2 Summicron.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I have finally admitted to myself that I can't travel with friends/family while being a tourist AND do any kind of serious photography. So many trips I've taken and carried a whole kit full of gear and ended up cursing it and (depending on the locale) worrying about it. Once I admitted that to myself, it took a lot of pressure off. I also try to avoid making elaborate excuses to myself that I need to buy a really good compact camera since it inevitably leads to an expensive decision that rarely lives up to my imagination. So while it sounds a little feeble, I think I could get by with my iPhone (under the travel-with-family description).

Maybe I'm strange (no maybe about it) but I find photography to be a solitary endeavor. When with family and friends, there are too many other distractions, like food, drink, and just enjoying their company. It always feels odd to tell the group "you go on ahead, I'm going to hang out here and take some photographs. I'll catch up with you." I've done it, but rarely with any success.

On the other hand, I nearly always head out with only a body and one lens. I find myself a lot more comfortable adapting to the lens than carrying a lot of stuff and not using it. But then, most of my excursions are for personal use, a professional has to be prepared and is more likely to always take the full kit.

JohnBrew

For many years I carried an M Leica (film and digital) and a 50 for vacations.
This year for a trip to Mexico it was a D810 and Zeiss 50 Makro. Past experience has shown that I gravitate to a 50 when paring down a kit to the essential.

Godfrey

I have finally admitted to myself that I can't travel with friends/family while being a tourist AND do any kind of serious photography. So many trips I've taken and carried a whole kit full of gear and ended up cursing it and (depending on the locale) worrying about it. Once I admitted that to myself, it took a lot of pressure off. I also try to avoid making elaborate excuses to myself that I need to buy a really good compact camera since it inevitably leads to an expensive decision that rarely lives up to my imagination. So while it sounds a little feeble, I think I could get by with my iPhone (under the travel-with-family description).

Maybe I'm strange (no maybe about it) but I find photography to be a solitary endeavor. When with family and friends, there are too many other distractions, like food, drink, and just enjoying their company. It always feels odd to tell the group "you go on ahead, I'm going to hang out here and take some photographs. I'll catch up with you." I've done it, but rarely with any success.

On the other hand, I nearly always head out with only a body and one lens. I find myself a lot more comfortable adapting to the lens than carrying a lot of stuff and not using it. But then, most of my excursions are for personal use, a professional has to be prepared and is more likely to always take the full kit.
Yes.

Minor difference: I usually have two lenses in the bag if I'm carrying the M, even though I only very very rarely switch lenses once I'm out walking. It's more a matter of having an option to choose when I start doing photography rather than when I'm getting ready to go out.

(Of course, I choose which two lenses are in the bag at some point too... :) )

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim,

What you said is exactly why I choose one cam and lens on a family trip :) While my iPhone is quite capable now as my P&S cam, I still prefer having a "real" camera at hand anytime I'm traveling...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
While I recommended the Q as a good single lens solution, I admit that I didn't use it that much on my last two walking vacations for the same reasons stated above: Photography and group travel don't mix.

So this time, I'm taking a bigger camera and a single zoom. :loco::facesmack::loco::facesmack::loco:
And a very light tripod. :)facesmack::facesmack:)

One day I'll learn.

Matt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Matt,

A little more background from my perspective... I almost always travel with a zoom for ease when planning on doing scenic/travel type images. However, I found that in actual use for street style images a zoom slowed me down significantly. So I started carrying 4 primes (20, 28 or 35, 50, 85 or 105) if I planned on doing street work. Somewhat ironically when I did that, I found I used two lenses for probably 90% of ALL images including street and scenic/travel --- the irony was I rarely carried both at the same time; they were the 28 and 35...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The Leica Q is a decent benchmark to use for a single camera single lens trip . One of the advantages of a fast 28mm 1.7 summilux and excellent AF is that you can get the photographs that you stumble upon .

I find that using a 35MM view(with the Q) (yielding an 18MP cropped file) works very well . You see 35MM FOV but you capture a 28mm 24MP file . So slight reframing in post is simple ...hey ..no more clipping of hands and feet !

However .....I learned my years ago to shoot with two M bodies and I much prefer that set up . My kit is similar to Jack s focal lengths between 21-90 . If the shooting will be in tight streets (say Europe ) and /or may contain important context ...I prefer the 24 and the 35 ..with the 75 in my jacket/vest/small bag . If its less constrained and getting closer would be uncomfortable..I would go with the 28/50/90 set . Once I get into a shooting environment ..I rarely have to change lenses .

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Matt,

A little more background from my perspective... I almost always travel with a zoom for ease when planning on doing scenic/travel type images. However, I found that in actual use for street style images a zoom slowed me down significantly. So I started carrying 4 primes (20, 28 or 35, 50, 85 or 105) if I planned on doing street work. Somewhat ironically when I did that, I found I used two lenses for probably 90% of ALL images including street and scenic/travel --- the irony was I rarely carried both at the same time; they were the 28 and 35...
Jack,

I also prefer carrying just a prime and adjusting my eye to that lens. I tend to treat the zoom as two primes. 90% of my pictures are at the long and short extremes. No doubt after this trip I'll decide THAT was a bad idea and travel with a Graflex. :ROTFL:

--Matt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,

I also prefer carrying just a prime and adjusting my eye to that lens. I tend to treat the zoom as two primes. 90% of my pictures are at the long and short extremes. No doubt after this trip I'll decide THAT was a bad idea and travel with a Graflex. :ROTFL:

--Matt
LOL! Yes, that's was pretty much my experience with zooms too -- at least until the Nikon 24-120. I used my 20-35 at 20 or 35, rarely at 24 which was weird, and I used my 35-105 35 or 105. The 24-70 seemingly opened up some flexibility for travel, yet I on inspecting EXIF I found I used it mostly in the 28 to 35 range(!) Now I use my 24-120 mostly at -- surprise -- 28-35 and only occasionally 24 or 100-ish.

A note on the bigger range zooms for street work. I started keeping a piece of gaffer tape on it so I could "lock" down the zoom ring and not have it move on me -- actually works surprisingly well. But they're still big and bulbous things and why I lean to primes. Current "zoom" manufacturers could certainly enhance them for me by implementing a switchable zoom lock or strong detent at a few dedicated prime spots -- I suspect I'm not the only one who would like that feature ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What I do in reality is carrying two lightweight bodies, GX8 and G85, with 12-35mm on one and 75mm on the other. Since this is is m4/3, the whole setup is just around 1,500 grams. Still, I rarely change camera during a walk or outing.

For early morning walks on my own, I usually just carry the F6 and 85 or 135mm for street portraits.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
This is a tough one. Maybe a 24 or 28 on a D810. A 35 is great for urban use, but not so much for scenics: beaches, palm trees, surf, that kind of thing. An 18 or 20 is better for the latter. A 24 might be a workable compromise... But then you lose out on juxtaposing with a short tele, which is a lot of fun.

Personally I wouldn't bring just one lens, but I might bring only one for any particular outing and leave the others in the hotel safe. In fact, I'd pack a CZ 18, a 35/1.4 and a 70-200/4. :)

bensonga

When I am traveling I like to keep it simple and carry a camera I know well and feel very comfortable using. Recently for me that has been a Panasonic GX8 and the 12-35/2.8 lens.

If I had to choose one prime lens to use with the GX8 it would be the wonderful little 20/1.7. I like a small fast prime on a compact body with IBIS. Here's a shot with that combo from a late evening walk in Tarifa, Spain. ISO 400 (I dislike shooting at very high ISOs), 1/20th second at f1.7.

Gary

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ultimate preference df and either 28/1.4 or 35.

My preference is Leica M10 and 35 summilux FLE but previously I've always taken my RX1R (I or II) -, awesome camera :thumbs: