The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One body, one prime -- your thoughts

marlof

Sitting here in a hotel lobby. My fast zoom lenses (12-40 and 40-150 for m43) and even my small zoom compact (LX100) are in my room, and all I'm carrying is the EM1 and 25 1.2. I just feel at home with a fast 50. Was all I had for 20 years or so, and I like to work within its limitations. So I guess that answered the question.

Last edited:

Shashin

I do most of my work with normal lenses. Probably 95%. The really neat thing about digital, if I want wider, I can simply shoot a series of images for a panorama. Stitching software handles handheld images really well, so I don't need a tripod. So in a sense, you always have a wide with you.

My current camera I am having a lot of fun with and would have no problem traveling with is an Fuji X Pro2 and 23mm f/2 lens. I shoot that camera at 1:1 and 16:9 and so the 23mm is actually normal--the frame lines in the Fuji optical finder change to those aspect ratios so I can shoot full frame (the original meaning of "full frame").

jduncan

J Duncan: To clarify, this is not about me, it is about YOU. So if you can only have one cam one lens for what you like to photograph most in a high tourist traffic place, what do you choose and why.

Matt: I like your choice and it would serve me very well for my uses too, but I don't own one :LOL:

Now to clarify for me: I like to shoot a wide range of subjects when on a family vacation from street to scenics, so my choice is based from that. When I'm on a dedicated photo trip, things are of course different. Weight is not a big concern of mine, especially if carrying just one cam/lens combo, and using the controls on both my Nikon bodies is an unconscious act, so why I'd choose one of choose them.
So any Camera, if the pictures will be during the day, and evening the Hasselblad X1D-50c and the 90mm (Hasselblad needs a 60mm). If I need both day and night the D750 and the 45mm f1.8 Tamron.

Best regards,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One lens that I have never tried, but that I would probably enjoy immensely in a one lens one camera setup is the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4. Since I'm already in the world of wild fantasies, I would like to combine it with the Df II, featuring the Sony 42mp sensor, obviously an improved Niton version :D

JCT

Df + Sigma 35 for me. Though I've been using my Nikon 28 f1.8 more and more of late. Still lean 35 though.

Mind you, will have to pry the 105 f1.4 off the Df first - now there's a fantastic combo. :clap:

Thanks for this thread, Jack -- taking my first trip to Vietnam in Dec and already trying to figure out which system to bring....

Thorkil

Df + Sigma 35 for me. Though I've been using my Nikon 28 f1.8 more and more of late. Still lean 35 though.

Mind you, will have to pry the 105 f1.4 off the Df first - now there's a fantastic combo. :clap:

Thanks for this thread, Jack -- taking my first trip to Vietnam in Dec and already trying to figure out which system to bring....
...or consider perhaps the two DC lenses, 105 or 135, while the 105/1.4 looks extraordinary razorsharp, but vision-like it dont come near the DC's in exquisite character, it seems
thorkil

biglouis

I'm going to South Korea in the Autumn. Thinking of only taking my Ricoh GR and the 21mm wide-angle adapter.

Maybe my bendy tripod as well.

LouisB

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hmmmm... Thinking I'm going to try out the Df and 35 ART combo.

kxl

I actually did 'one body-one prime lens' on our trip to Japan a couple of years ago. I brought the D800e and Sigma 35/1.4 ART. If I had the D810, then that would have been my choice over the D800e. Note that I tend to print large images, so I need mucho megapixels.

rayyan

Landed in Seoul yesterday. There are Buddha's birth celebrations.
The wife wants to hop into Taiwan for a couple of days. So I will have
A few days alone in S Korea.

Later we shall head off to some islands.

Oh, almost forgot:)
I have with me the XPro2 and the 35/1.4

The iPhone is the other cam.

rayyan

thanks Shashin:D

the wife, though is carrying the Df/24-120 :shocked:

Best.

p.s this time there is no iPad, Macair or any such weight!

BlinkingEye

I have finally admitted to myself that I can't travel with friends/family while being a tourist AND do any kind of serious photography. So many trips I've taken and carried a whole kit full of gear and ended up cursing it and (depending on the locale) worrying about it. Once I admitted that to myself, it took a lot of pressure off. I also try to avoid making elaborate excuses to myself that I need to buy a really good compact camera since it inevitably leads to an expensive decision that rarely lives up to my imagination. So while it sounds a little feeble, I think I could get by with my iPhone (under the travel-with-family description).

Maybe I'm strange (no maybe about it) but I find photography to be a solitary endeavor. When with family and friends, there are too many other distractions, like food, drink, and just enjoying their company. It always feels odd to tell the group "you go on ahead, I'm going to hang out here and take some photographs. I'll catch up with you." I've done it, but rarely with any success.

On the other hand, I nearly always head out with only a body and one lens. I find myself a lot more comfortable adapting to the lens than carrying a lot of stuff and not using it. But then, most of my excursions are for personal use, a professional has to be prepared and is more likely to always take the full kit.
Agreed. Totally me, too.

Godfrey

Revisiting ...
So y'all might know that I'm selling off as much of my excess equipment as I see fit. Pentax: gone; just finishing up with Nikon; Olympus/Panasonic Micro-FourThirds next. I decided for the present to keep the 1961 Nikon F plain prism, nostalgia won. So of course I needed to keep at least one lens for it. I had 11 lenses. Hmm.

In the end, I decided to keep two: Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Pre-AI (+ M tube + ES-1 slide stage) and Nikkor 28mm f/2 Pre-AI. Both have been AI'ed. And the Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 is on loan to a friend; if she decides not to buy it, I'll keep that one too.

It's excessive for what I'll use the camera for, but it makes a nice kit. If I go on a trip with the F, I'll likely just take one of them, and that will be the 55mm most likely. It's the most versatile lens of the bunch.

G

Irenaeus

Revisiting ...
So y'all might know that I'm selling off as much of my excess equipment as I see fit. Pentax: gone; just finishing up with Nikon; Olympus/Panasonic Micro-FourThirds next. G
Hi Godfrey,

I took your suggestions, and those of everyone else who responded to my query about what current camera body to use as an additional alternative to my neat E-1, rented some bodies and settled on an EM1 - Mark II. It's very nice and I've begun working my way through its possibilities. I'd planned on just using the Panasonic 14-50 and Olympus 11-22 zooms I already have for a while and haven't bought any m4/3 lenses at all yet.

But, if it would fit with your selling off plans, I'd love to see what you'll have on offer. I know I'll eventually want the Panasonic 20mm/1.7, and will probably be looking into the equivalent of an 85mm short tele, but that's as far as my thinking has gone so far. I'd be interested in seeing your list no matter what's on it though, as I've come to respect your expertise and taste in gear (hanging around does have some advantages....) and I might find something there that would rearrange my priorities.

Thanks again for your help and

All the best,

Irenaeus

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John,

You make a good point. Last minute I decided on my 35 instead of my 28 -- and pretty much the entire time I was kicking myself, as I almost always wanted that little bit wider view from the 28 :facesmack:. Lesson learned for me -- trust my first instincts :cool:

MMPhoto

Morning,

Yes daily one lens on body. Favorite body is my D700, for the noise level all around good results. lens 50 1,4 or 35 2 with polarizing filter.

nothing to heavy to carry.

Just trying to post some images on here still have not understood how.