The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One body, one prime -- your thoughts

Hulyss Bowman

You, bunch of power users !

There is still some hidden very good lenses out there that nobody buy because most internet say it is crap, because it is old...

After much tests I ended buying the AF-NIKKOR 35mm f/2D and guess what ? it work ! This lens is very good whatever body you use behind, it is cheap, it is solid, it is light.

Plug that on the Df and you are good for light trip, at least as light as fuji or other "things" out there;)

rayyan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Marc, do you have - or do you know of - illustrative and educational B&W side by side comparison shots, with and without a Bayer filter, and ideally accessible as RAW files, so that I (and others) can experience the difference directly in post-processing ?
Steen,

I had the opportunity to shoot the Monochrome P45+ alongside my regular P45+ several years back. At that time my takeaway was that the mono cam definitely delivered more detail, and IIRC it felt like about 25% more pixels to work with. However, B&W tonality was not as significantly different comparing the color image with B&W conversion tool available in Capture One software at that time, and C1 has only gotten better since. In the end, the dedicated mono cam delivered a little "cleaner" file all around, but my takeaway was the difference while notable on-screen was not really significant enough in a print to justify the cost.

Steen,

I know it's late, but I found these images of my P45+ mono to color comparison. It should give you some more critical insight. Side by side comparisons as close as we could do at the time. It appears the mono image has about a +⅓ EV over the color, I seem to recall we simply processed at identical settings to compare outputs at the time:

Reference image in color:

100% crops from,

Color back:

Color Back converted to mono:

Mono back:

Cheers,

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks a lot, Jack, very illustrative.
The comparison images seem to confirm what I somewhat suspected, i.e. that the difference is so subtle that I do not see enough reason to own a dedicated non-Bayer camera for Black and White digital photography.
In your examples the Black and White rendering from the Bayer-sensor looks equally good, though maybe with an ever so slight difference, or like you pointed out, perhaps just in effect exposed at something like 1/3 EV lower than the monochrome back, perhaps due to the filter.
In any case, thanks again, I'll just continue using my Bayer-filter camera also for Black and White digital photography, with the benefit of the free choice of post processing a specific capture in color as well as in B&W, and from there just choose what works the best.

Sigma DP2 Merrill would be my one body with attached prime.
Adding my Ricoh GR doesn't count, it's the USB charger for the Sigma batteries :grin:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm planning on buying the Nikkor 20mm f1.8 prime for the new D850. Can't go wrong for the price and DXO rates it at a 34 overall compared to the 21mm ZF.2 at 27 overall.

And it's a real bargain

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082607-REG/nikon_20mm_f_1_8g_fx_lens.html
While the Nikkor 20mm is for sure a good lens, the DXO figures are exactly that: figures. The Zeiss 21mm was my most loved, although not my most used, lens on the D810. It had no problems handling the resolution of the sensor, while colour, contrast and particularly microcontrast were beyond this world, at any aperture including wide open. Just the pleasure of using this fine optical tool added to the photographic enjoyment.

When that is said, the Nikkor is original Nikon, probably works better with Nikon's metering, offers autofocus and is cheaper too. But photography is more than figures.

It's like comparing a Morgan Plus 8 to a BMW Z8. I know which one I would have chosen :D

DougDolde

I'm looking to get into this for very little money relatively speaking. The D850 and 20mm NIkkor should provide great image quality in a focal length i like most and for about $4,000 total outlay.

I have however considered the 24mm version as well.

I'd take the BMW any day

jduncan

You're going on a trip to Hawaii (or any other similar location that has already been creatively photographed to death) with the family. You decide to be a minimalist and take just one body and one prime -- yes, it has to be a prime. Can be ANY make of camera or lens. What do you take and why?

I immediately lean to the Df or D810 and 28 or 35 (28 1.4 asph or 35 ART because those are what I own). Tough decision when limited like this, but of those, I am slightly biased toward the Df/28 for the overall look of that combo.
It just became easear, the Nikon D850 and:
1) If the pictures are mosly about the family : the 45mm 1.8 VC tamron (it focus very close)
2) If it's about the place the Nikon PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D I will try some unique perspectives on the same subjects. Most people do not travel with PC lenses so it may help.

Best regards.

Godfrey

I guess I'm there. I've hardly taken any photographs lately with anything but my Leica M-D and Summilux 35mm v2 lens. It just seems to fit everything I want to shoot for the present.

A Gray Day to Fly - Westchester County Airport 2017

Leica M-D + Summilux 35mm f/1.4
ISO 400 @ f/8
Nine-frame panorama, hand-held

I will pull out the SL and a 90mm lens to photograph my new motorcycle, now that that project is nearly completed. This iPhone photo late at night in the garage doesn't really do it justice... :D

onwards!
G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
As re this topic, I have decided after using multiple combinations. It used to be a 35 and whatever body and was this way since I owned a Leica M film camera. But today, it would be my D810 (and in the future perhaps a D850) and the 28/1.4. Hands down.

However, *IF* I preferred the 24 focal, my glass of choice would be the Sigma ART 24 -- it is relatively large and heavy-ish, but it is simply a stellar optic.

Thorkil

:thumbup:, Jack, is it the 28/1.4E-ED or just the 1.4D :rolleyes:
the ED certainly also look stellar.
(Ps. got heavely disappointed by the 18/2.8D in the harbour this morning(heavy vignetting and so), I would judge the 17-35 to be far far better, but I'll give it a more seriously try in the city at tripod and so, to see if I just was careless,
(I was lacking the mood) so in wide-prime frustrations I really consider the 24/1.8G, as a "careless"/loose street-and-so thing, smaller less weight than Sigma, might be just as sharp...but else it will be the nikkor 28/1.4D + 17-35 for wide)
thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:thumbup:, Jack, is it the 28/1.4E-ED or just the 1.4D :rolleyes:
the ED certainly also look stellar.
(Ps. got heavely disappointed by the 18/2.8D in the harbour this morning(heavy vignetting and so), I would judge the 17-35 to be far far better, but I'll give it a more seriously try in the city at tripod and so, to see if I just was careless,
(I was lacking the mood) so in wide-prime frustrations I really consider the 24/1.8G, as a "careless"/loose street-and-so thing, smaller less weight than Sigma, might be just as sharp...but else it will be the nikkor 28/1.4D + 17-35 for wide)
thorkil
I have the older 24/1.4D. And I like the way it draws so much I won't likely be looking to replace it with the new version. I recognize the new lens focuses faster and may even be superior all-around, but the old one is so nice, I continue with it :D

The 18 vignettes heavily at f2.8, but since I know that I can work with it. f4 is probably this lens' sweeter spot for "look" so try that.

My issue with the Nikon 24/1.8G is its cost is almost the same as the Sigma ART 24, and the Sigma ART is just so incredible AND renders very nicely.

Godfrey

what a beauty of a bike Godfrey, even though I would have judged you better suited in a Morgan 3-wheeler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uveqxQpsSZw
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWIzSL6NqFs
and perhaps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcS5x8WpwF4
(but why not both?)
Thank you for the compliment! I've been massaging and tweaking the Ducati to suit my long-established likes and dislikes, it's coming near to done now. Just a couple of details left to go. :D

I love the Morgan three wheelers, a friend of mine here in the USA owns one, but they're a bit tight for my comfort (I'm not a small guy... :) ). Another friend in the UK has a gorgeous Morgan Plus 4 in black that is just a delight to ride in; I haven't had the pleasure to drive it yet.

But when it comes to cars, I've come to realize that I prefer the Mercedes Benz SLK typ 171 series more than nearly anything else: I'm delighted with my 2006 SLK280. It combines the joy of a nippy roadster with the comfort, quiet, and long-distance capability of a hardtop coupé.

but back to topic ...
Indeed.

If I went for a TTL body as my "one body, one prime", I'd choose my Leica SL fitted with the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 lens. I tend to prefer slightly longer (or significantly wider) lenses on a TTL body compared to what works best for me on the M rangefinder nowadays.

G

Thorkil

I have the older 24/1.4D. And I like the way it draws so much I won't likely be looking to replace it with the new version. I recognize the new lens focuses faster and may even be superior all-around, but the old one is so nice, I continue with it :D
YES :thumbup:

The 18 vignettes heavily at f2.8, but since I know that I can work with it. f4 is probably this lens' sweeter spot for "look" so try that.
Okay, I will then try to be patient :watch:

My issue with the Nikon 24/1.8G is its cost is almost the same as the Sigma ART 24, and the Sigma ART is just so incredible AND renders very nicely.
Okay, if Foto-C got both I will persuade Henning to lent them to me at Nyhavn for an hour, and give the Sigma a chance, I promise :angel:

thorkil