The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One body, one prime -- your thoughts

jlancasterd

After using the D850 for 2-3 months I'm coming round to the idea that, for a casual holiday where photography isn't the main objective, I'll carry that body with a Sigma Art 35mm f1.4.

Godfrey

Went on two and a half weeks travel to Cork, Ireland and Ballaugh, Isle of Man over the 2017 holidays. Brought Leica M-D and 50/2, 35/1.4 lenses. Never carried more than one of them at a time, only used the 35mm twice. It was the perfect camera for me, and I could have left the 35mm home too.

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Have to agree there's a lot to be said for the 50 for the way I shoot too. My travel set has for as long as I can remember been a 28 and 50, then an 85 or 105, and something in the 18-21 range. I also know I shoot the 28 and 50 by far the most, and push to shove, admittedly the 50's on the majority of the time...

But I love the 28 :LOL:

I have taken many trips where the long lens has never been used, but almost always press the ultra-wide into service at least once or twice.

jonoslack

Have to agree there's a lot to be said for the 50 for the way I shoot too. My travel set has for as long as I can remember been a 28 and 50, then an 85 or 105, and something in the 18-21 range. I also know I shoot the 28 and 50 by far the most, and push to shove, admittedly the 50's on the majority of the time...

But I love the 28 :LOL:

I have taken many trips where the long lens has never been used, but almost always press the ultra-wide into service at least once or twice.
Hi Jack
I hope you’re flourishing - long time no talk.
I did a recent canter around NikonLand (D810 and D500). They were both great, but not quite for me.

28 & 50 I completely subscribe to, and if it’s one lens, then my poison is the 50 apo summicron on an M10.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
@ Jono,

Nice to have you stop in!!! Yes, in my M days, I owned multiple 50's and kept three I loved -- 3rd Noct, 4th Cron and my favorite 50 of ALL TIME, the last pre-asph Lux. But I also loved my first 28 Cron ASPH!

Today, the Nikkor 50/1.4G reminds me very much of the pre-asph Lux -- the Nikkor 28/1.4 ASPH-old is not quite up to the 28 Asph M, but surprisingly close.

rayyan

I am 50mm lens person. The faster, the better.

All my travels, have photography in mind. Family, they can do what they like.
Groups..never been a part of any group...very unsociable person, I am. Unless, I don’t want to be.

In about a week, we travel. Ayesha is heading off to Bosnia/Herzegovina and Albania. I refused her offer to travel with her. I have done enough of the West and the Caucasus, Balkans and what have you. She carries the XT-1 and the 18-55 zoom..that’s it.

I am heading of to SE Asia..yes again! While I would just prefer a 50mm lens, I believe sometimes one has to be a little flexible..might entail more than a 50mm lens..

I shall be carrying the Df, the 50/1.8G, the 85/1.4D and maybe the 24-120 f4 G.
Plus the X-PRO2 and the 35/1.4 XF.
Still debating whether to swap the D700 for the X-PRO.

My decision is based on what I know I will find and what I have to carry to capture what I have in mind.
New place, a 50mm has always been fine.

Just a 50mm would leave my wishing..I am more sure of that.

p.s I hate tripods.

Thorkil

Hi Rayyan, long time no see!,
I remember you wanted to travel light...:lecture:
How about saving the 170 gr. and go for the 85/1.8D instead, it should be way more sharp at the DX-edges and corners..
and fast, how about the 50/1.2 Ais then ?, no I see your point, AF is needed
and then just a 24/1.8G, and leave the 24-120 at home?(its bulky) (I would leave the Fuji, ok no, I can see, need for being invisible..)
Best thorkil
And the Df is lighter, smaller than the D700, and render way better I think!
Have a nice travel!, and remember...the pictures here inside, while things are getting somewhat rather slow here, and we have to do something about it, right? :)

rayyan

Hi Thorkil.

Indeed been some time. Hope your family and you are keeping well.

My friend, I am known to take empty and fill my camera bag/s till the last moment before leaving for the airport!!
God, the 24-120mm is indeed a beast. I do have the Fuji 16-55mm, a equal beast without the VR!!.

Thorkil, I think my new equipment purchase days are some time past. Hence the 24/1.8G is not on the menu.
I do like the 85/1.8G. Carried it a few times, and it is still in contention.

I like the longer distances and close ups more than wide expanses. So I could be perfectly fine with a 50/80 ( 1.8G combo ).
The Fuji with a 35/1.4 ( 50mm equivalent ) is a classic in its rendering. the fuji 56/1.2 ( 85/1.8 G equivalent has a superb rendering too ).
( of course, I am just talking about the field of view equivalency...can never be similar to a 85mm on a 24x36mm ).

I have still about 10-12 days, to decide.

Take care Thorkil, and best regards.

Hi Rayyan, long time no see!,
I remember you wanted to travel light...:lecture:
How about saving the 170 gr. and go for the 85/1.8D instead, it should be way more sharp at the DX-edges and corners..
and fast, how about the 50/1.2 Ais then ?, no I see your point, AF is needed
and then just a 24/1.8G, and leave the 24-120 at home?(its bulky) (I would leave the Fuji, ok no, I can see, need for being invisible..)
Best thorkil
And the Df is lighter, smaller than the D700, and render way better I think!
Have a nice travel!, and remember...the pictures here inside, while things are getting somewhat rather slow here, and we have to do something about it, right? :)

rayyan

I would like to thank my good friend Thorkil, for advising me to remove the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR from a travel kit I was putting together.
He also suggested leaving out the Nikon D700, since it was heavy.

Thorkil, I have done that. Yes, the kit feels so much lighter now...

Here is what is left :shocked::shocked:

Godfrey

I would like to thank my good friend Thorkil, for advising me to remove the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR from a travel kit I was putting together.
He also suggested leaving out the Nikon D700, since it was heavy.

Thorkil, I have done that. Yes, the kit feels so much lighter now...

http://fursan.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2726823057-5.jpg

Here is what is left :shocked::shocked:
That's quite a travel kit; it's about three times what I carry. And I think mine is heavy... :D

G

Swissblad

Hi Rayan

Personally I would take either just the Df with an additional lens (24mm, 28mm or 35mm) or the Fuji.

I don't like having 2 sets of chargers, different batteries etc.....one reason why I ended up not buying the Df.

Just my 2c.

Have a good trip.

SB

:toocool: