The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 Weather Resistance

Scott G

The D700 is advertised as "dust and water resistant", but I am curious if anyone has experience using it in rainy conditions for extended periods?

I own a D700, but honestly I like too much to potentially trash it in the rain. I can buy a friend's E3 relatively cheaply as a substitute but would rather stick to one system.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The weather resistance of the E-1 and E-3 is legendary, and I kept two systems for that and a couple of other reasons. It's a hassle sometimes, but when it comes to weather resistance, Olympus is in a class by its own. It's important also to remember that it's not only about the camera, but the lenses as well. While Olympus classifies some of the lenses (pro and über-pro) as weather resistant, I feel that Nikon and other manufacturers (with a possible exception for Pentax) are more reluctant to state this in the same, clear way.

HansenTsang

I have not subjected my D700 to rain for an extended period of time yet. However I did subject my D300 to at least 15 minutes of very heavy down pour. I had to walk a mile in the down pour with the camera on a tripod slung over my shoulder and the lens pointing down. So only the back of the camera was exposed to the rain. I was completely soaked like I just jumped out of the ocean by the time I got under cover. The camera was very wet. I simply dried it with a towel and continue to shoot. No problem what so ever.

kweide

I had the situation with E-3 in dusty situations while on a vulcano. It was dusty and stormy. About 50 persons with me all with Nikon and Canon but i was the only one changing lenses !!! No dustspots on the sensor.

And yesterday it was in the rain. But just about 10 Minutes with my trusty 14-54 lens. No problem at all. BTW again i was the only one with DSLR !! I love my E System !

gallery7

i have been running a d700 and d2xs combo professionally for the past 6 months, often in appalling conditions. neither camera has offered up a single complaint. rain, snow, -30 etc.
recently i had the d700 knocked out of my hands (from the over the head spray and pray position) to the ground. terrible sounding crash. picked it up, looked it over rather quickly... went back to work.
i am heading to the west coast of africa for a few months in may and it's smack dab in the middle of the wet season so i'll get back to you on the "TORRENTIAL RAIN" section of the report.

Scott G

I was out in the rain (again) with my D700 today. Camera and lens were soaked...and worked fine.

Still, I find myself out more and more in bad weather, so I just bought one of the seemingly endless number of "factory demo" E3's on Ebay from Cameta Camera.