The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I want to look cool, I bring the F6, and while the others chimp, I change film. F6 plus D700 was actually a pretty nice combo, and since a low mileage D700 is much cheaper than any D8xx new or used, maybe... :p
If I want to look cool I bring my M6 with 1.0 Nocti :cool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FACT: NO photographer ever looks "cool" ... Except maybe to other photographers :grin:

tcdeveau

FACT: NO photographer ever looks "cool" ... Except maybe to other photographers :grin:
Haha this is true.

I'm excited about the D850. The 810 was a significant improvement over the 800/800E, and given the time Nikon has had to work on it, I would expect the 850 to be a significant improvement over the 810. I used to shrug my shoulders are articulating screens, but after using one on the Sony A7R/A7RII for awhile, it's definitely a welcome addition to the 850 if the leaked pics are to be believed.

I doubt I will purchase one, at least anywhere near release time, but if it pushes down prices of used 810's I can see myself possibly picking up a used D810.

jduncan

Hi,

More speculative information from NR: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/27/...-4k-uhd-video-in-fx-format-with-no-crop.aspx/

To underscore: the D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October

If that is the timeline they are working with, I am concerned that it will be too little too late. By the end of the year, Sony is likely to announce a new hight megapixel mirrorless camera, with the last generation technology. The Nikon will be set to irrelevancy for new buyers. We Nikon users, with an investment on lenses will be set to decide if we should jump ship, or if we should stay with Nikon.

Best regards

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi,

More speculative information from NR: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/27/...-4k-uhd-video-in-fx-format-with-no-crop.aspx/

If that is the timeline they are working with, I am concerned that it will be too little too late. By the end of the year, Sony is likely to announce a new hight megapixel mirrorless camera, with the last generation technology. The Nikon will be set to irrelevancy for new buyers. We Nikon users, with an investment on lenses will be set to decide if we should jump ship, or if we should stay with Nikon.

Best regards
If the D850 does not have that rumoured hybrid EFV/OVF I am afraid I loose interest more or less completely. FF 4k is nice and actually should have been there from the beginning of 4k in any camera, BUT without integrated EVF this is absolutely unusable. I know many will disagree, but this is my honest opinion.

I agree that by the release date there will already be much more appealing high res camera options by other vendors. Especially if someone is no longer invested in Nikkor glass, these other options ARE then the better solution.

jlancasterd

If the D850 does not have that rumoured hybrid EFV/OVF I am afraid I loose interest more or less completely.
I feel the exact opposite – having used EVF-fitted cameras from both Leica (Digilux 2) and Olympus (Pen F) I can see no advantage in having one, hybrid or otherwise, and a number of disadvantages.

There is also the worry that a hybrid viewfinder will be something else to go wrong in an already complicated camera. I've just sold my Pen F because, all too often, the 'eye-start' didn't.

BlinkingEye

If the D850 does not have that rumoured hybrid EFV/OVF I am afraid I loose interest more or less completely. FF 4k is nice and actually should have been there from the beginning of 4k in any camera, BUT without integrated EVF this is absolutely unusable. I know many will disagree, but this is my honest opinion.

I agree that by the release date there will already be much more appealing high res camera options by other vendors. Especially if someone is no longer invested in Nikkor glass, these other options ARE then the better solution.
ou are NOT interested

Then you are NOT interested. It has not EVF. https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/28/...nder-even-faster-than-8-fps.aspx/#more-114300

Last edited:

BlinkingEye

If that is the timeline they are working with, I am concerned that it will be too little too late. By the end of the year, Sony is likely to announce a new hight megapixel mirrorless camera, with the last generation technology. The Nikon will be set to irrelevancy for new buyers.
Of course, Sony is on record stating they will keep their latest image sensor technology for themselves.

As for your statement about "irrelevancy" that comment is seriously overstated.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I want one. :ROTFL:

And will likely be a rather early-ish adopter. Again. :loco:

jduncan

Yeah, I want one. :ROTFL:

And will likely be a rather early-ish adopter. Again. : loco:
And we love you for that. If it weren't for people like you we cowards will never be able to but new toys. What will it be of all that people with GAS?
You are the front lines, the tip of the spear, the heroes.

Jokes aside, I will simply wait: with Nikon proven QC I am totally done with all the "early adopter" stuff. In any case, by nature, I call early adopter six months, with Nikon, is about one year and a half.

Best regards,

AlexLF

I switched to video a year ago but I think I'm going to need this thing :) And I'll need money... so if anyone wants anything made in/for web/cloud, any complexity systems, I'm ready ;)

DougDolde

This body is going to cost less than a Phase One Blue Ring lens.

How well is the medium format allure going to hold up to this camera? Certainly the Nikon is more versatile but a bit less resolution. I think it would make good prints up to about 30x45

BlinkingEye

You allude to a good point. What Nikkor lenses will resolve discretely enough for the expected sensor? I question if the latest round of Nikkor glass will be OK. If do, for how many more density upgrades of sensor pixels will the "latest and greatest" be fine?

DougDolde

You allude to a good point. What Nikkor lenses will resolve discretely enough for the expected sensor? I question if the latest round of Nikkor glass will be OK. If do, for how many more density upgrades of sensor pixels will the "latest and greatest" be fine?

For landscapes Zeus Milvus would be preferred to Nikkor if you don't mind manual focus. But the Nikkors are good too at least the latest ones

ptomsu

Workshop Member
To all who don't like EVF, I think most of you did not get the point - if this hybrid OVF/EVF would be implemented, you would get the best of both worlds.

If you do not like to use the EVF simply forget it. BUT if you do, you will be able to have this great technology whenever needed.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

How well is the medium format allure going to hold up to this camera? Certainly the Nikon is more versatile but a bit less resolution. I think it would make good prints up to about 30x45
Exactly Doug.

Re IQ and printability as compared to MF... It's a tough question, and in the end one has to answer for themselves. Net resolution is only part of the equation when I'm comparing. For me, I still *see* a difference, and an edge to the MFDB image, but mostly in tonality and color, not is absolute resolution at even 24" print sizes. However, if I printed and regularly sold at 30x45, I'd get an IQ3-100, no question. But I haven't printed that big in a long time, and moreover have not been asked for anything that big in several years. 24" is pretty big for most folks already, and frankly I'm printing more and more at 15x20 now than anything else -- plus I can fit more of those on a wall :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: