The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

Paul2660

Nikon rumors is doing a pretty good job on passing on info.

Their latest post, suggests that the chip for the D850 may be fabbed from the same material as the D500. If so that would lead to progressive improvements with higher ISO. The D500 is not as clean as the D810 or D750 at base, at least from what I have seen on the various review sites, especially the imaging resource and dpreview comparison tool. But once the D500 is past ISO 800 it begins to surpass both of the others, not by much but it does have a marginal improvement. At 3200 and above the D500 seems to be the leader.

As nothing has been published on the sensor yet for the D850, it will be interesting to see what it really is.

Latest FPS is 8 or more, which is also impressive for full frame under 3K. And no EVF or Hybrid design, straight DSLR.

The D750 still for me is the best all round high ISO Nikon I have shot, and I use it a lot for astro work in the ISO 3200 to 5000 range with very good results.

Paul Caldwell

DougDolde

Jack, I agree resolution is only one factor in print quality, tonality and smoothness of color transition certainly is important.

However if we assume the D850 only has the same sensor as the Sony A7r II which has 7952 x 5304 pixels, then a 30x45 would print at 176.8 dpi. This is enough for a good print in my experience.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, I agree resolution is only one factor in print quality, tonality and smoothness of color transition certainly is important.

However if we assume the D850 only has the same sensor as the Sony A7r II which has 7952 x 5304 pixels, then a 30x45 would print at 176.8 dpi. This is enough for a good print in my experience.
Certainly is for canvas :D

Seriously though, I don't disagree, it is likely good enough. It's just not going to be "quite as good" as a 24x36 print where you'll be closer to 240 dpi native, which I think gets us into the very good realm -- 300+ and we get back into excellent territory. My .02 anyway...

DougDolde

@Jack,

Yes canvas. I will never print on paper again. I was dry mounting and framing but recently started doing canvas wraps. Stretcher bars are dirt cheap and you don't have to frame them. Once you get folding the corners perfected anyway (not such an easy thing). I coat them with Liquitex Acrylic Matte Gel thinned with water 20%.

I just bought sticks for a dozen 18x24 wraps and I think they were about sixty bucks total from Dick Blick. Five bucks per wrap !

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
@ Doug,

I still print on paper, my goto now is Epson Exhibition Fiber ever since Harmon sold/changed it's gloss baryta recipe. I prefer to get to 360 dpi for printing. 180 is still very good for canvas, and even 120 is still pretty good. I have prolly 4 rolls of un-opened epson canvas that at this stage may never get opened. Next time I'm swinging through the SoCal desert, I may drop them off ;)

DougDolde

I use Exhibition Fiber if it's a request for a print on paper. But not on speculation. Matting and framing is too expensive unless you can command high prices in a gallery to offset the cost. Not to mention the need for reflection causing glass or acrylic

Last edited:

jlancasterd

What Nikkor lenses will resolve discretely enough for the expected sensor? I question if the latest round of Nikkor glass will be OK. If do, for how many more density upgrades of sensor pixels will the "latest and greatest" be fine?
I have high hopes of the Sigma Art series with this camera.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You allude to a good point. What Nikkor lenses will resolve discretely enough for the expected sensor? I question if the latest round of Nikkor glass will be OK. If do, for how many more density upgrades of sensor pixels will the "latest and greatest" be fine?
I think for tripod work and as re handling all or most of the available sensor resolution, I think third-party Sigma ARTs and Zeiss' will do quite well. But then so will the latest gen Nikkor nano-tech gold-ring lenses, especially most of the f1.4 series seem to be pretty remarkable corner to corner.

But here again, I don't think absolute resolution is necessary for producing excellent images, nor do I think a lens has to be capable of utilizing all available sensor resolution to create compelling images, even if/when printed to very large sizes. Bob gets credit for coining a canned answer that he, Guy and I used frequently in our workshops when asked about glass performance: "Absolute corner sharpness and lack of fall-off are image quality characteristics that are significantly over-rated." In fact, Bob and I both purchased 85mm "Petzval" lenses to use precisely for their characteristic soft corners and heavy fall-off, and when you see images from them, they definitely show an artistic quality that is difficult to define. Clearly not the best image I've ever made, but one of my first made with the 85 Petval at f4 on the D800E as an exemplar. I've not printed it larger, but it shows very nicely at 15x20:

Now a similar image made on the same workshop, but with a different lens -- and this image also prints superbly at 15x20 -- can you guess which lens I used? Hints: Firstly, I added fall-off in post; secondly it is a Nikkor, and the exif shows a focal of 98mm/f7.1 -- AND finally it's a lens that absolutely won't hold the outer third of the D800E/810 sensor at 100% view :grin: :grin: :grin:

Last edited:

Paratom

IMO today there is often too much focus on new functions and "gimmicks" and often "small" important things are overseen. Maybe a little better color, or a little faster processing or a little brighter viewfinder.

I dont think good products have to get more and more functions with every new release.
For example I wonder if a hybrid viewfinder would not mean that it is a compromised optical viewfinder with a compromised EVF.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
IMO today there is often too much focus on new functions and "gimmicks" and often "small" important things are overseen. Maybe a little better color, or a little faster processing or a little brighter viewfinder.

I dont think good products have to get more and more functions with every new release.
For example I wonder if a hybrid viewfinder would not mean that it is a compromised optical viewfinder with a compromised EVF.
IMHO a ell working integrated EVF is something desperately needed for serious videography and absolutely no gimmick! I also cannot see any compromise of the current OVF by this integration, but a big plus for this camera and Nikon as a whole as technology leader!

This is also not an unnecessary additional function at all, as this camera claims to be built for serious video work as well!

But well then, some like it always old fashioned and are sceptical to any innovation .... I hope Nikon proves to be different!

jlancasterd

IMO today there is often too much focus on new functions and "gimmicks" and often "small" important things are overseen.
I agree! A major part of the problem is that manufacturers are trying to make one camera fulfil (at least) two completely distinct photographic roles. I would quite happily buy a camera with the D850's reported specification that was dedicated solely to still photography. I'd be even more inclined to do so if it had a monochrome mode with easily-implemented digital monochrome filters – light yellow, yellow-green, etc – and a similar programmable ability to produce images with the characteristics of Tri-X, FP4, etc.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As a precautionary move against D850 GAS, a particularly aggressive variant of the syndrome with no known cure, I will flush my credit cards down the toilet during the intercontinental flight that I'm about to board in a couple of hours.

tcdeveau

As a precautionary move against D850 GAS, a particularly aggressive variant of the syndrome with no known cure, I will flush my credit cards down the toilet during the intercontinental flight that I'm about to board in a couple of hours.
Although I'm not boarding a flight, I may need to do the same thing :p

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Good thread!

1) The D850 is likely NOT a camera that will significantly improve the quality of my images.
2) None of the added features of the D850 are anything I actually feel a NEED for.
3) My D810 delivers everything I need from a camera in spades already.
4) My Df delivers a marvelous and unique color palette and delivers at the highest ISO's I ever have need of
-- though I do wish it were on the D810 body format and was at least 24MP, and thus I have been considering a second D810....
5) And my lenses will all fit, integrate and work well on the D850.
6) ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
7) No way around it, it appears a D850 is in my future.

:ROTFL:

jduncan

Good thread!

1) The D850 is likely NOT a camera that will significantly improve the quality of my images.
2) None of the added features of the D850 are anything I actually feel a NEED for.
4) My Df delivers a marvelous and unique color palette and delivers at the highest ISO's I ever have need of
-- though I do wish it was on the D810 body format and was at least 24MP, and thus I have been considering a second D810....

: ROTFL:
Hi,

That is funny. For me is about the dynamic range. If it's equal or better than the D810 or even the D750 then it will be done a deal.
Of course, you need faster storage and that is the perfect excuse to update the das array ;)

Best regards,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Good thread!

-- though I do wish it were on the D810 body format and was at least 24MP, and thus I have been considering a second D810....

:ROTFL:
I'm considering a D810 instead of a D850, but I see to my horror that they are as expensive used now as they were when I sold mine 18 months ago. I do have my spare battery still though, and a couple of fast 64GB CF cards, so it would be an economical alternative. In addition, my old Zeiss 21mm is for sale again at the shop that sold it for me. I already have the excellent Samyang 135mm so would just need a 50 or a 35 plus 85 to make this work. Although I'm very satisfied with my m4/3 gear, there are situations when I really miss the optical viewfinder, the fantastic DR and the 35mm "look". We'll see...

V

Vivek

Nikon likely will continue to offer lossless RAW and lossless compressed RAW, unlike Sony (not to mention the "star eater") and that is a huge plus! :thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm considering a D810 instead of a D850, but I see to my horror that they are as expensive used now as they were when I sold mine 18 months ago. I do have my spare battery still though, and a couple of fast 64GB CF cards, so it would be an economical alternative. In addition, my old Zeiss 21mm is for sale again at the shop that sold it for me. I already have the excellent Samyang 135mm so would just need a 50 or a 35 plus 85 to make this work. Although I'm very satisfied with my m4/3 gear, there are situations when I really miss the optical viewfinder, the fantastic DR and the 35mm "look". We'll see...
Although I am as well very satisfied with m43 and Fuji X I still miss a good OVF from time to time. The one in the D850 seems to get even improved over the D810, that would be an interesting option to enter back into Nikon FX again. Well I would have hoped for an integrated EVF but I meanwhile understand that will not happen.

So D850 with a 1.4/85 and a 16-35 and maybe the 80-400 would make for a great setup :cool:

jduncan

Although I am as well very satisfied with m43 and Fuji X I still miss a good OVF from time to time. The one in the D850 seems to get even improved over the D810, that would be an interesting option to enter back into Nikon FX again. Well I would have hoped for an integrated EVF but I meanwhile understand that will not happen.

So D850 with a 1.4/85 and a 16-35 and maybe the 80-400 would make for a great setup :cool:
Hi,
Al point on that direction, but we may remember that when the industry move from film to digital the magnification was lowered to increase brithness.
The may have worked on increasing the refletivity of the mirror, or maybe the diference in magnification is too little and they find a good compromise.
We will see, but in paper it looks as a great change. It won't match the Hasselblad with the 100mm f2.2 but it does not have the same price either ;)

Best regards,