Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: D850

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D850

Sorry for my negativism. This is neither the place nor the time. I'm probably as excited about this great, new camera as anybody. Unfortunately, that was also my worry, but I'll let that rest for now. Nikon is certainly not the worst culprit, and they make some great stuff, including the lovely F6.

I do wish they would start making scanners again though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yevgeny NP View Post
    Jorgen,
    I see that you are based in Pattaya, Chon Buri. We spend about three-four months every winter in Thailand. I usually have my Fuji GA645zi with me every trip.

If you don't mind to share a bit of local knowledge
    Where you have your 120 film developed and scanned?

Thanks.
    Yevgeny
    Several new, good quality labs have appeared lately, all in Bangkok. The best one, although somewhat expensive, is probably Patani Studio:

https://web.facebook.com/patanistudio/?ref=br_rs

Then there's one called Positive Lab+. They pick up and deliver regularly at AV Camera, my regular hangout:

https://web.facebook.com/Positive-La...4/?_rdc=1&_rdr

https://web.facebook.com/nenocamera?_rdc=1&_rdr

https://web.facebook.com/AVCamera/

http://www.avcamera.com/

Finally there's Airlab, which is cheaper than the others. I haven't tried them yet myself, but another forum member has, and they're OK.

https://web.facebook.com/airlabbkk/

http://www.airlabbkk.com/home.htm

All of them offer mailing services, and with Patani, I can download scans in tiff format as soon as they are ready. Very convenient.

There are many others also, even some local ones that do C-41 only. Somebody told me that a small lab on Third Road in Pattaya still does C-41, although the quality may be questionable.

Patani btw. hand develops all rolls individually and can do special processes like CMS 20/Adotech. Pushing and pulling is obviously no problem either.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much indeed.
    I will try Patani then.

Wonderful community here.

Yevgeny
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Several new, good quality labs have appeared lately, all in Bangkok. The best one, although somewhat expensive, is probably Patani Studio:

All of them offer mailing services, and with Patani, I can download scans in tiff format as soon as they are ready. Very convenient.

There are many others also, even some local ones that do C-41 only. Somebody told me that a small lab on Third Road in Pattaya still does C-41, although the quality may be questionable.

Patani btw. hand develops all rolls individually and can do special processes like CMS 20/Adotech. Pushing and pulling is obviously no problem either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yevgeny NP View Post
    Thank you very much indeed.
    I will try Patani then.

Wonderful community here.

Yevgeny
    Please be aware that Patani is closed on Sundays and Mondays. I think they have a box where you can drop film though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I've looked at quite a few raw files from the D850. While impressive, they are still not a match for my IQ180. I suppose most of you aren't surprised by that. Of course it has a lot of capabilities that the IQ180 doesn't have.

So though I could downsize to the Nikon I don't think I will. Those IQ180 files are just too awesome by comparison.
    I appreciate and share the sentiment and desire to find the silver bullet that replaces medium format. Don't think it's every going to come though. However, and a seriously major however is that Medium format cameras will have to change to compete with these new systems though - they're clearly starting to do that. Until such time that a phase one and iq180 sort of set up is as easy to use as a Nikon D850 then the jury on its future is out I'm afraid. When these new cameras are producing images as decent as they are, the tide of "it's good enough" is going to swamp the likes of Phase One and the die hards amongst us won't be enough to support it, I already suggest that is happening. The benefits no doubt are obvious to me, but I don't think the rest of the world could care any less. I cast my mind back not that long ago when the very greatest was a 22MP CCD back on a dinosaur of a body with mostly average lenses. They were the pinnacle at the time and the IQ that in many ways was the bench mark. It worked for the largest of billboards. While these new 35mm cameras can never replace the medium format aesthetic, they well and truly exceed the cameras of those time in almost every other way and even are very close to the younger P45 era. While much in the world has changed - our levels of acceptability certainly haven't, and that is far more so for 99% of the population.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took the plunge.... bought a D700
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How about a few images shot with the D850 for a change?

Cheers,
    Bernard
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bernard for the fine images.
    And congratulations on your new camera.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent photos, Bernhard. You must really have a good camera, who can take such beautiful pictures

No, no, really, they are excellent, and the detail in the foliage... even at web resolution, one can feel that there's a lot of detail there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ Bernard -- thank you!

First thing I notice is how well it renders greens -- obviously more critical testing needed, but from what you've posted, it appears to rival or possibly even surpass MF greens, which is frankly remarkable. Now I absolutely want one! Detail is excellent too as would be expected. Reds appear a little hot however.

Few questions: May I ask the lens and exposure data for the images? Are these in-cam jpegs or raws, and if raws, what converter did you use? Did you use AWB, or choose it in post? (I ask because the CT in the images captures the setting very well!)

Thank you!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    @ Bernard -- thank you!

First thing I notice is how well it renders greens -- obviously more critical testing needed, but from what you've posted, it appears to rival or possibly even surpass MF greens, which is frankly remarkable. Now I absolutely want one! Detail is excellent too as would be expected. Reds appear a little hot however.

Few questions: May I ask the lens and exposure data for the images? Are these in-cam jpegs or raws, and if raws, what converter did you use? Did you use AWB, or choose it in post? (I ask because the CT in the images captures the setting very well!)

Thank you!
    Hi Jack,

With pleasure.

Lenses include a mix of 70-200 f2.8 E FL, 24-70 f2.8 VR and Leica 180mm f2.8 APO.

All raw converted with C1 Pro.

WB base is AWB, typically mode 2 (preserve warm colors) but tuned for most images.

The colors of the D850 rock! Especially the blues but the greens are sweet too. I probably still prefer the greens of my H6D-100c converted with LR, but the D850 probably comes close.

Cheers,
    Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree in many ways, I still see it differently Jack...

It's because of the fact that phones are replacing dedicated cameras for so many that my future telling a decade ago is paying off in terms of film and darkroom based fine art prints. Sales are growing steadily about 10-20% per year and that is without major gallery representation which we all know is a tough thing to break into. In fact, this round of upgrades in the digital realm could very well be my last for a number of years as I am hoping to have digital imaging and related work amount to less than 20% of my annual revenues in 5-10 years.

But things are changing fast in the mainstream of photography and interestingly enough, another photography revenue stream is about to get completely decimated by iPhone mentality and that is a good majority of photo workshops. None of these guys even want to talk about it either as their primary incomes are generated not by stellar image making that has real editorial or commercial value but by an online frenzy fed workshop base. The ones who actually have real careers shooting and do great work still stand a chance at pulling in some extra cash with uniquely presented and approached workshops. The rest will simply become obsolete and go out of business completely.

The days of average / mediocre photography having any form of commercial or social worth are over. Those who have a unique viewpoint and strive to push boundries not from the stance of the latest tech but by innovating from the heart and mind through genuine intent and authorship could very well see them selves enjoying a fine career for years to come. Because people are people and in a world where real is the new fake, finding something authentic has rapidly increasing value.

But I do believe the days of intensly gear centric photography as a pursuit of passion or a hobby are in their waning days. There is simply far too much of the resulting imagery around, it's impossible to escape and its subliminal effects on how one best chooses to use their free time in this busy existence called life are prfound: people are going elsewhere to put their fingerprints on something that speaks to who they are.

Millions of photos of the same landscapes using the same grad filters etching "it's all been done now" into the minds of those looking for some form of vehicle to express them selves uniquely is killing the idea of the worth of buying thousands of dollars of gear only to end up with the same images.

In having decades of experience in this life behind the camera, I have seen this all coming from miles away and have successfully adapted to these changes and I will continue to. As for the fate of everything else in photography and that includes the popularity and relevance of serious photo hobby forums...man, that is anyone's guess but it is not looking so bright and clear right now and the fact that everything is pretty much flooded says there is not a lot of well aerated soil in which new products and ideas can take root.

On the note of some wanting Nikon to come up with a new scanner, let's just say I will be selling my 9000ED soon since I see the D850 and a properly light locked X, Y, Z stage will easily outdo it in every regard.

DSLR scanning is why Nikon would not waste their time and resources on making a dedicated film scanner. I would even go as far to say that if their new film strip holder takes off, they might invest in a dedicated copy stand / light source like affair that would take it to the next level. But a new scanner from Nikon that does nothing else but scan film? No way folks.

Doubtful Peter. The first batch sold out immediately. What I did notice is there was not as large of rush to get on this bandwagon, but I suspect a lot of that was for the same reason I paused -- wanting to make certain I was not a Beta-tester this time around... I will get one, and I'm sure once the pipeline fills it will be a strong seller both here and abroad. And the 4K video features may be responsible for well over half its market share...

What is sad is the condition of the institution of photography itself. --- Here I do believe the number of folks that actually carry -- nay, OWN -- any sort of dedicated camera has dwindled to almost nothing due to cell phones being "so darn good." Photography itself won't be a lost art anytime soon, but creating static images with a dedicated camera of any sort may soon be.

Moreover, as everything moves to a more and more digital world, paper (or glass or aluminum) printed with anything on it may be the actual lost art... I have not sold an actual print in over a year, and made only a handful of custom ones for people last year. In 10 more years, I suspect wall-sized lcd panels capable of holding millions of images and thousands or tens of thousands of video clips will sell for a few hundred dollars, and that will mark the end of the printed medium forever, at least other than for purely artistic purposes...

/cynical rant

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ai -- I don't disagree with you much at all when we get down to it. I still do photography because I enjoy the process from a hobbyist standpoint; I find it therapeutic. But my excitement over results has morphed to the point they don't really juice me anymore -- it's still the simplicity of "being in the outdoors" when I shoot landscapes, hanging with like-minded people when we do workshops, and looking for the evasive "one in a million" keeper shot. To that end, I could reasonably accomplish all of it with my iPhone, but I do get some juice from using decent gear and absolutely prefer the feel of the legacy equipment in my hand whilst doing it Plus it gives me something to talk about here
    Jack

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Doubtful Peter. The first batch sold out immediately. What I did notice is there was not as large of rush to get on this bandwagon, but I suspect a lot of that was for the same reason I paused -- wanting to make certain I was not a Beta-tester this time around... I will get one, and I'm sure once the pipeline fills it will be a strong seller both here and abroad. And the 4K video features may be responsible for well over half its market share...

What is sad is the condition of the institution of photography itself. --- Here I do believe the number of folks that actually carry -- nay, OWN -- any sort of dedicated camera has dwindled to almost nothing due to cell phones being "so darn good." Photography itself won't be a lost art anytime soon, but creating static images with a dedicated camera of any sort may soon be.

Moreover, as everything moves to a more and more digital world, paper (or glass or aluminum) printed with anything on it may be the actual lost art... I have not sold an actual print in over a year, and made only a handful of custom ones for people last year. In 10 more years, I suspect wall-sized lcd panels capable of holding millions of images and thousands or tens of thousands of video clips will sell for a few hundred dollars, and that will mark the end of the printed medium forever, at least other than for purely artistic purposes...

/cynical rant

Hi Jack,

I missed this post, but after reading it I had to add some thoughts as your comments are exactly the same as what I see daily. Photography IMO as an institution where I learned it, was all about the capture and the final print. Net, without a print, you really had nothing. I just finished a printing job for a customer who does a lot of local architecture work. The prints were all in the 24 x 36 range all taken with various Nikon/Canon cameras, but mainly the D810. The first thing that the VP reviewing the final prints stated was "Did you Photoshop that?" So many if not most just feel you hit a few buttons, plug the camera into the printer, and hit print! And all the contrast, color, shadow recovery, etc all of that was done with a simple quick "photoshop" button on the mac or PC. I have totally given up even getting into these types of discussions as they are pointless, but it does show just how powerful the internet is on totally changing a paradigm. Most of these same people can't even remember all the things we used to do in the darkroom to either push, or pull a negative, then the dodging and burning, or the use of different film and paper types to either pull out saturation, Fuji Process for example. End result can still be close but since it was film and not that many folks really ever worked in a darkroom especially with color which is worked in total darkness, thus they have nothing to compare it to.

A couple of years ago, I might have tried to explain to them what a raw file is, and how I find that the process of digital capture to final print, actually takes much more time than it did in my Darkroom days, Cibachrome and Kodak. Plus the fact that in those days, I was pretty limited to 16 x 20 max sized print as working with anything much larger, even 20 x 30 was a huge step up in both time and cost.

My main reason to move to MF Digital was the resolution. I like to print big, as big as I can go, as it's still a bit of differentiation between myself and competition. The years I spent working with various interpolation software to get an 6mp, then 11mp then 22, to work out in a large print made it clear for my workflow that the best solution is to use as much resolution as you can at the time of capture. Thus for years I stitched everything and it worked out fine, but this was before the advent of the modern software for stitching and all of mine was done with a Zork adapter so all the stitching was manual (just hit that photoshop button). Got the resolution I wanted but the time in post was extreme. The move to MF helped out a lot. And now the DSLRs are there, both Canon and Nikon at least to 50MP and IMO past 50MP for a 35mm sized sensor will really be a challenge due to diffraction, just as it is with the 100MP MF format and will worse on the 150MP MF.

The Photographer of today has changed. The toolset is the iPhone and the Print is the internet. The dpi is 72 or less. The images hit, are viewed and are gone, forgotten as fast as they are posted. Can these images get to a 30 x 40 or 40 x 60 or 40 x 96 inch print, no. Will they ever no. But the vast majority of these photographers could care less about a print, in fact printing is a foreign thing. But you can populate a flickr, or Smugmug or 500px site with these same images and many do again the thought of a print never entered their minds.

So for the folks who still make prints it just makes the process that much harder as these same photographers are the ones making the purchasing decisions for large corporate deals i.e. office buildings hospitals etc. That is the market I attempt to work in and so far I am doing OK, but every year the price points are hit as the folks making the decision base the decision on iPhone capture technology. The thought of color space, gamut, paper type. media, ink jet, or lightjet or solvent never comes into play.

I am very happy to hear that some on this site and others are able to still make it successfully in the art market (galleries). I also feel that a lot of that success is very dependent on the gallery and how they market your work and more importantly understand your workflow.

The D850 won't change any of this mindset. However it's clear based on the images I have seen it's going to start pressing on the already narrow band of MF backs as 50Mp is plenty for my work as stitching is just so easy now. The colors from the D850 do appear very impressive and DR similar to that of the D810. Nikon has really stepped up with their latest lenses, the new 24-70 and 70-200 are impressive, and I find them both vastly superior to the former versions.

Sorry, long rant, but just felt your point was well stated.

Paul Caldwell
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I took the plunge.... bought a D700
    Changed my mind. D610. Smaller, lighter...

Post Thanks / Like

Pictureline SLC called me this am saying they got in a new shipment of D850's and I was up to get one. Short story...turned it down.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, the 850 is really wanting the best glass I can give it so I am going to order the latest version of the 70-200 and sell my VRII. On another note, I am seeing by far the sharpest images in terms of landscapes ever because I am able to use the self timer in conjunction with the electronic shutter and really push the limits, no movement whatsoever at the time of exposure.

Just to keep it on topic, here is a shot for a client that needed Fall landscapes of the grounds, I have to go back today and get some without snow and then I can send it and bill it, 70-200 @ 70mm:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fall_Scene.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	449.4 KB 
ID:	129763
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Al,

Love the shot. Just wish Nikon could ship more of the D850's amazing that it started to ship on 08_24_17 and I ordered at 6 am and still no camera. Would love to get into NPS but that is just as hard as finding a D850.

Glad to see your results are so good. And I agree the ES and tipod for telephoto should be a great solution.

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Hi Al,

Love the shot. Just wish Nikon could ship more of the D850's amazing that it started to ship on 08_24_17 and I ordered at 6 am and still no camera.
    In fact in started to ship on Sept 8th.

But indeed, don’t know what component is preventing Nikon from increasing the throughput. It may be related to very stringent QA checks with much increased validations and a more stringent rejction KPI. So far few if any problems have been reported which would tend to confirm that only perfect bodies ship.

As good as their engineering is they are obviously far from having sorted out many of their manufacturing challenges, which may not affecf customers directly anymore, but apparently reduces their ability to ship as many bodies as needed.

Cheers,
    Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

yes, I forgot first day to order was the 24th, ship 7th in the US.

Still strange that they couldn't ramp up enough to cover at least the pre-orders, it's not like they didn't have any idea as to how many were on order (at least I hope they did).

Third round is now releasing, won't know if I made the cut again for a few days as B&H and Adorama will not open till 16th.

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I did have some hope since B&H had been closed for quite a while and for sure a few more D850's have shipped.

Per B&H, I ordered at 7 am, 4 hours after the open order window. They have not filled all the orders from hour 1, so looks like seeing a D850 will be 2018 for me.

I will leave my thoughts about Nikon and how this camera has been handled for my website blog, so not to create any fires here.

Just wanted to let the others know who may also be in the B&H or Adorama loop where things stand at B&H.

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered from Bedford Camera on Sep.24th and it shipped today (10/16). :-)

Mr.G

Post Thanks / Like

I turned down one from Pictureline last week. I think only ordering from B&H is a big mistake due to the huge number of orders they received.

Nikon may be a little slow but its nothing compared to the X1D debacle.

I think there's too much I WANT IT NOW spoiled rotten attitude here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gale View Post
    I ordered from Bedford Camera on Sep.24th and it shipped today (10/16). :-)

Mr.G
    I also have one on order with Bedford in Little Rock, they of course require full payment in advance to get to the top of the list, I had paid 1/2 down and have been on order as long.

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I turned down one from Pictureline last week. I think only ordering from B&H is a big mistake due to the huge number of orders they received.

Nikon may be a little slow but its nothing compared to the X1D debacle.

I think there's too much I WANT IT NOW spoiled rotten attitude here
    No, I WANT IT NOW ATTITUDE, strongly disagree. Net, the camera has been around now for over 1 year in prototype. Probably one of the longest "known" about new releases ever. It doesn't work for your work, you can pass, great.

If the camera meets the needs, which it does for me and my work, I don't see it as a "want it now" but instead "I have read the specs and agree that it is a positive advance in technology for my photography".

Plus the value of the D810 will continue to fall. Flip, the X1D, should Never been announced when it was, as it was quite apparent, Hasselblad was nowhere near ready to ship it. They were aiming to get ahead of a known product from Fuji again, one that had been on the charts for over 1 year.

I do agree that the larger shops were not the place to order this, something I overlooked this time as B&H had done well with other products. My local shop wanted all of price at time of order or you are at the bottom of the list and I held off on full payment only gave 1/2 and thus I have missed out on all three of the releases. I have only had to do this before with P1 product and that is only 1/2.

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"I think there's too much I WANT IT NOW spoiled rotten attitude here"

Say what! I don't think I have a "spoiled rotten attitude". This is a major upgrade to the Nikon D800 line that will be a replacement for my Hasselblad H4D50 which I now plan on selling.

Mr.G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    I also have one on order with Bedford in Little Rock, they of course require full payment in advance to get to the top of the list, I had paid 1/2 down and have been on order as long.

Paul Caldwell
    That's strange(?). They didn't charge my CC until last Friday (10/13).

Mr.G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's when I see discussions like this I'm happy to take my F6 out for a stroll, knowing that there will probably never be an upgrade or a replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers,
    Bernard
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D850 Lightroom CC Update

Have just downloaded the Lightroom CC update that includes a profile for the D850.

It seems much faster than the Lightroom 6 stand-alone version.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ai -- I don't disagree with you much at all when we get down to it. I still do photography because I enjoy the process from a hobbyist standpoint; I find it therapeutic. But my excitement over results has morphed to the point they don't really juice me anymore -- it's still the simplicity of "being in the outdoors" when I shoot landscapes, hanging with like-minded people when we do workshops, and looking for the evasive "one in a million" keeper shot. To that end, I could reasonably accomplish all of it with my iPhone, but I do get some juice from using decent gear and absolutely prefer the feel of the legacy equipment in my hand whilst doing it Plus it gives me something to talk about here
    Jack...! ...your statement which I consider more seriously than the inbuild smiles suggest, actually made me some sort of depressed.
    No that is perhaps an exaggeration, but with some thruth in it.
    I guess its also in some way to do with our age, and the following mindset.
    Well I have still this lust for silly pictures, to some sort of way of setting me free, free from the limitations we build up around ourselves....
    we are placed in the gap between making "over-seriously" pictures and the lust for doing "the wild things".
    How to get over the book-keeper instinct, so to speak.
    But I can't get them done, and I do think that we are our own too-hard-judges and our own limitations and restrictions.
    It reminds me, while I was very regually wisiting the art museum Louisiana, north of Copenhagen, since I was about 16, when I got some sparetime, I was there. They had some painting of a danish Painter Oluf Höst, my absolute favorit. And if you go through his production it becomes clear, that he is lifting his ability and quality in his painting by high measures after he hit the age of 60 year. He was thereafter sort of liberating himself, setting himself free. That happens to several artists
    My statement is: we have come to an age where we can allow ourselves to set us free. Think about it.
    Therefore we have to reinvent freedom, inspiration and creativity, and get it out beyound our physical limitations
    And in that proces, there will be fotprints do be done in our pictures. Let them be done !
    Amen
    Thorkil
    Ps sorry for spelling and so.