The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

Dustbak

Yes!! The much bigger viewfinder and the lack of that pesky pop-up flash is what I find really appealling. That and the D5 AF...

It is kind of a no-brainer upgrade for me since I am still using the D800e. Never saw the need to upgrade to the D810. The step from D800e towards D850 appears to be a really nice one!

Anyway, the D800e is completely depreciated which makes a perfect excuse to 'invest' in a new body :)

jduncan

Yes!! The much bigger viewfinder and the lack of that pesky pop-up flash is what I find really appealling. That and the D5 AF...

It is kind of a no-brainer upgrade for me since I am still using the D800e. Never saw the need to upgrade to the D810. The step from D800e towards D850 appears to be a really nice one!

Anyway, the D800e is completely depreciated which makes a perfect excuse to 'invest' in a new body :)
I fail to see how the pop-up flash is pesky, unless of course, you are shooting fully automatic.
When I am using flash, in general, I have my remote trigger on the hot shoe, but many people trigger optically with the build in flash or use it for a little flash fill.
You can easily turn it off. In what sense is pesky?
For me, a bigger viewfinder is better than a pop-up flash, but that does not make it pesky.

Best regards,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree with jduncan, but maybe see Dustback's point: while the built-in flashes seem a little "P&S cam cheesy," they can be life savers when/if needed to be pressed into service. Maybe only use it once, but it may be considered heaven-sent at that particular point in time. :thumbup:

Dustbak

I agree with jduncan, but maybe see Dustback's point: while the built-in flashes seem a little "P&S cam cheesy," they can be life savers when/if needed to be pressed into service. Maybe only use it once, but it may be considered heaven-sent at that particular point in time. :thumbup:

I normally take several profoto triggers with me, just in case. The pop-up flash has the nasty habit of popping-up sometimes underneath the trigger. Mostly when I accidentally touch the button. I even have a spare cable somewhere at the bottom of my bag just in case the triggers do not work. When all of these fail, yes I might consider the pop-up a life saver.

Sometimes in very rainy weather the thing always makes me wonder how water resilient it is. In that case I rather do without it.

Last but not least! More room for a bigger prism and larger viewfinder!

V

Vivek

In this era of great high ISO performing cameras, there is little use for the pop up flashes.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The more I study the rumoured specs of the D850, the more desirable this camera becomes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muJmC_lDK3Y

I must say that I kind of lost patience with the Sony incarnations of cameras aka A7 models and A9, as while they offer some or even quite a lot of serious or pro photographer features, they still lack in a number of areas that I find very important - especially battery life, size (they are all too small for my hands) and most importantly a lens lineup like the one available from Nikon - I know many will hat me for this my opinion, but hey I could not care less.

If the D850 materialises somehow like all these rumours make me belief, I think I will get a D850 with some selected Nikon glass sooner than later 😄

Maybe my step back into DSLR again 😜

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I use the builtin flash all the time when shooting in outdoors bright sunlight. It works MUCH better than the SB400 (which I also have) - the latter has way too high minimum output for just a touch of fill. It's WAAAY too bright. (Or the D800 doesn't understand how to use the SB400 for fill in bright sunlight, which is also entirely possible.)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Although the built-in flash might be handy for some, I never use one anymore, an it is a weak point. The one of my D300 is kind of loose, and pops up at will on all kinds of inconvenient occasions. The D300 is kind of old and well used of course, but if I decide to buy the D850, I plan for it to become even older and more used.

With my m4/3 cameras, I mostly carry the microscopic flash that came with the original E-M1. It works fine for fill when needed. I'll find out if it works for Nikon cameras as well.

JohnBrew

According to Nikon Rumors there is to be an event in the Netherlands on the 24th where it is suspected the D850 will be introduced. More speculation that the body will be available next month. I'm anxious to read some tests and feedback.

I pooh-poohed the D810 when it was announced and stated that the only reason I would update my D800 would be for improved LV. Nikon delivered and I bought. I have also downplayed the D850 as only incremental improvements when first announced. However, I must say the improved viewfinder,once again better LV and spread AF points have me interested. I do wonder if the smaller pixels will constrain the DR in the same manner as did the Canon 5DSR.

Dustbak

Noooo... it's just another boring, black camera... unless there's free food and drink :chug:
:eek:

Precisely the reason I almost never go. The times I did I usually get larged eyed people asking me what is wrong :)

I did however learn myself to never decline a 'free meal'... Anyway, most of the time I tend to forget and that black camera will come my way anyhow eventually.

BlinkingEye

I am in TOTAL agreement.

tcdeveau

I am in TOTAL agreement.
People also seem to forget on the Nikons, the built in flash can be set to trigger off-camera speedlights (SB-900, SB-910, etc) without even discharging. I used this feature a bunch when I was doing wedding/engagement work. It's somewhat limited in that it requires line-of-sight, but still came in very handy. I always wondered why ppl wrote off the pop-up flash for this reason...I realize this feature isn't useful to all, but to some it was a nice feature to have in one's back pocket so to speak.

I'll certainly have my eye on this thing. No immediately plans to buy it, since I don't know what my next project will be. But if I end up doing anything similar to the last couple of bodies of work this will be tempting.

I have the d800 now, but have never used a d810. I've been pleased with the d800 save for a couple of usability gripes. #1 is the live view screen in low light. The last project I did required using live view on a tripod in very dark deserted buildings. The dim and noisy live view was a serious challenge. I spent more time framing and focusing than I would have with a view camera. #2 is the useless implementation of user presets ... which seems almost aggressively negligent on such an otherwise nicely designed thing.

I'll be curious to see how the new Nikon does in these areas. I'll also be looking at what Sony does next.

Edited to add: I've made many 27x40" and 40x60" prints from the d800 files, and find they hold up well. All these big ones are from a project that was shot view-camera style, very slowly and deliberately. I've been asked more than once if the prints were from an 8x10 camera. I don't think they look quite like they came from an 8x10 (or from a MF digital back) but they make a strong impression. I can imagine the extra pixels from the 850 making a slight difference in work like this.

jduncan

It seems tomorrow is Hercules day: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/22/nikon-d850-announcement-in-36-hours.aspx/

I did not about a kitten called Hercules, I hope this is not the case.
Of course, I am concerned as the D7500 is inferior or equal to the D7200 in almost every singe way (related to photography).

I hope the D850 does not disappoints in terms of image quality (the resolution and the High ISO will be there, the question is the dynamic range).

The rest of the package looks pretty good, not impressive, not the kind of change that will lure Sony users, but for us, Nikon users, it's long overdue.
I believe they could use the same platform with the old D750 sensor and build a killer machine for high volume Wedding pros.

Update: According to the press release the dynamic range is pretty good, if it match the D810 only price could stop it from becoming a success. Still plenty of people that are not ready to move to mirroless YET .
If they get the small raws right this time (they use less space) then the aftermentionated hight volume wedding photographers (that love 24mp) will be running to it in droves (the ones not moving to mirrorless).

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/22/nikon-d850-press-release-leaked.aspx/
Best regards,

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jørgen, repeat after me:
It's only a black metal box with a computer and an imaging chip inside. My life does not depend on buying one :lecture:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Automatic focus stacking, eh? So they will force one of those terrible Micro Nikkors on me as well? Must look awful with 45MP, and surely something I won't need with my new macro setup :loco: :ROTFL:

I did flush that credit card down the toilet the other day... I think :scry: