The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

Dustbak

Exactly, or in my case, a mint D810 plus a GH5 which with the firmware upgrades that were launched yesterday looks like a totally new and extremely attractive camera, as if that wasn't the case even before that upgrade.

The "problem" we face these days is that more or less any enthusiast or professional grade camera currently on the market delivers results that are more than good enough for most commercial applications. I've been shooting industrial, travel and event the last year with a second hand GX8 and a GM5, and if image quality is the criteria, those two cameras are good enough for my use.
Ah!! There is a firmware upgrade for the GH5?? That would be awesome! I truly like my GH5. So much that I let the D800e at home in many cases.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So we have actually a new slogan -

leave D850 and go for GH5 instead ..... :banghead::toocool::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ah!! There is a firmware upgrade for the GH5?? That would be awesome! I truly like my GH5. So much that I let the D800e at home in many cases.
This is very off topic, but yes, it's a rather dramatic upgrade. In addition to the high end video features that were expected, it includes tethering with free tethering software for Mac and Windows, functional with live view at the computer for stills as well as video. There's also improved AF and a lock function for the Display button. The list is very long:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/97991...mware-update-with-a-host-of-unexpected-extras

It makes a very advanced camera a more or less perfect companion if one can live with the 4/3 sensor. The tethering is via the camera's USB C contact, so it will probably be very responsive. Files and video can be apparently be stored on the computer and/or camera. Tethering is nothing new, but an all-included solution, all firm- and software from the same supplier, for a price of $1,800, camera included, is pretty nice. For my ongoing macro/product photo project, it couldn't be more perfect.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That's my long term plan, but as of today, I'm very Panasonic :)
Go for the GH5! :cool:

1) you seem to be much more Panasonic agnostic than Olympus aligned - which is perfectly ok - see also 2)

2) the GH5 is indeed impressive and would I not be deeply invested in Olympus m43 it would definitely be my m43 camera of choice

3) if you wait some time after buying the GH5 you might also be able to get directly the Nikon FF mirrorless

4) if you buy a GH5 now (or soon) I expect you will report about its usability for both stills and video - so I do not need to invest for testing

We do have a clear plan now :D

In the meantime I will try to acquire a D850 with some selected glass (as 1.4/105, 1.4/58, 2.8/70-200 latest VR and some WA zoom like 16-35). For me it became clear over my last projects that I do need and want FF and then Nikon is my way to go. I was also contemplating Leica SL, but in the end of the day thus system would become much too expensive for me. For the price of the SL with the 24-90 zoom I can get all the above mentioned Nikon FF gear and still have some money left.

Also I am confident that there will come a very competitive Nikon FF mirrorless and I am also confident it will be as fast and accurate as one of the best Nikon 1 cameras. Then I am also sure that there will not only be native Nikon Mirrorless lenses, but a Nikon solution for adapting FX Nikon glass (aka adapter). So there can be really nothing wrong if I get back onto that Nikon FF path again - AND I am very used to Nikon ergonomics etc.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, not so sure...

For what I shoot, full-frame is preferred and why I abandoned 4/3, so the GH5 is a non-starter for me. Not saying it's anything but a stellar cam and system, I just absolutely prefer the look I get from FF (or larger) sensors and legacy glass...

The D810 is serving very well, delivering 98% of everything I need. I sold my Df, so another D810 or even a D750 could suffice as it's replacement, but I feel a D850 and D810 combo would be pretty excellent. But then I already have spare cards and batteries and grip for the D810. Hmmm...

As re glass, I'm actually going to downsize my best primes (Sigma ARTs) since I tend to go more for the legacy look and am using my older "character" glass most of the time anyway. (And I suspect it's a sign I'm officially "old" now. Damn. :shocked: ) It's a tough decision as the Sigmas are absolutely stellar performers and likely some of the few that will stand up to the D850's critical sensor. But then I'm fully aware that for me it's become more about character and less about pixels. I know, a real :wtf: admission...

No easy -- or right -- or wrong -- decisions here really.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about this great loss :scry:....but on the other hand I can get a free first-hand report of, was it worthwhile, the upgrade:angel:
best
Haha! FWIW, my Df was not sold to pay for or even make room for the D850. It was sold because I simply wasn't using it much and had someone ask if I would sell it to them :) I still say the Df renders a unique look that is not replicated by any other camera. I still primarily shoot for larger prints, and for that I simply prefer my D810. And the Df ergos and control layout was not as similar to my D810 as I'd have liked.

My current decision is more do I again want 2 different bodies? (Historically I've always preferred carrying a pair of the same bodies with one set up in B&W mode, the other in color.) So will D810 and D850 be somewhat similar in use, or will I again want a pair of the same bodies? I also need to see how the D850 does at high ISO and what the total DR is before I make my final decision -- if the D850 has less DR than the D810 as some have indicated may be the case, that's a concern for me as I occasionally push the pixels around a lot during post and extra DR is always a benefit there. (That was my one major criticism of the Df, but the high ISO was so good it sort of alleviated the lack of DR.) So depending on the results, in the end it will likely be a D850 with my D810 as my B&W cam, but could be a pair of D810's or maybe even a pair of D850s! :bugeyes:

k-hawinkler

:) at your service, sir :salute:

© • click for actual pixels

© • Nikon D50 • AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm @ 18mm • 1/45 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX • [a880_DSC_4632]

Great image! I like the composition, lighting, colors, and cheerful mood. Thanks.

k-hawinkler

Image from 2009, taken by my son, D40 still going strong, after a complete rebuild under warranty.

NIKON D40 + 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 18.0 mm (27.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/9, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00313s (1/320), SIZE 3174 x 1785

V

Vivek

The pics are nice but very OT, IMO. :lecture:

The D40s and the 50s will not hold a candle to the latest 850. That is a fact. :lecture:

I will take the 850 any day over the lowly, crippled crop sensored D40/50. :)

Focus stacking anyone? :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so how did I miss that it will have a touch-LCD focus and capture function?

Dang, getting antsy to preorder myself -- supposed to ship next week... Now need a QXD card or 2 and a new card reader :D Anybody here using the Lexar 4-bay reader? Curious as to how well it works.

Last edited: