The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

mkerouac

Not sure what Nikon was thinking.

Let's see we haven't made a new update to the D810 in 2 years and a new sensor larger than 36MP in around 5 years. So I guess we won't need to make more than 100 or so units.

Someone said Nikon was having financial issues I wonder why?

You think they could have figured it out by now.

As stated previously very remincient of the D800 and D800e.

Hopefully there won't be a recall right out of the gate like with the D750 and D810.

Paul Caldwell
Sigh.... Nikon made a bunch of bodies for launch. But the demand is way higher than expected. Think about how many outlets sell this camera. All the small shops, the big Camera shops (BH, Adorama, etc.) Amazon, Best Buy, then expand this worldwide, I can go on and on. There are a flood of bodies coming into the US this week and then a second wave in a couple of weeks. Companies cannot scale manufacturing capacity to produce an entire 6 months demand in 6 weeks. It's stupid to do that. The factories will be underutilized the rest of the year. So there is a fine balance here. Produce enough to take care of the early adopters over the first month or two, then deliver a steady supply against demand. From a marketing perspective, having the perception of scarcity is good for generating demand. People want what they can't easily get. As long as they don't handle this the way Hasselblad handled the X1D or Leica handled the M10, people will be happy sooner than later. I applaud Nikon for developing a stunning camera. I would expect record or near record demand. That's not a bad thing. It is a troubling world we live in. When companies stumble they are crucified, when companies create a great product they are still crucified. Does anybody have any positive thoughts anymore? The negative rants that are based on pure speculation and no real facts is getting stale, old and boring.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The world doesn't come to an end if you don't receive the new camera on day one after release unless of course web boasting is your thing ... :facesmack:

Paul2660

Sigh.... Nikon made a bunch of bodies for launch. But the demand is way higher than expected. Think about how many outlets sell this camera. All the small shops, the big Camera shops (BH, Adorama, etc.) Amazon, Best Buy, then expand this worldwide, I can go on and on. There are a flood of bodies coming into the US this week and then a second wave in a couple of weeks. Companies cannot scale manufacturing capacity to produce an entire 6 months demand in 6 weeks. It's stupid to do that. The factories will be underutilized the rest of the year. So there is a fine balance here. Produce enough to take care of the early adopters over the first month or two, then deliver a steady supply against demand. From a marketing perspective, having the perception of scarcity is good for generating demand. People want what they can't easily get. As long as they don't handle this the way Hasselblad handled the X1D or Leica handled the M10, people will be happy sooner than later. I applaud Nikon for developing a stunning camera. I would expect record or near record demand. That's not a bad thing. It is a troubling world we live in. When companies stumble they are crucified, when companies create a great product they are still crucified. Does anybody have any positive thoughts anymore? The negative rants that are based on pure speculation and no real facts is getting stale, old and boring.
We can agree to disagree. I could care less about web site boasting. Nikon has been talking about this camera for months maybe years, now, and when it comes time to ship, they haven't a clue it seems to how many bodies are needed and they post a poorly worded statement to apologize for the situation. Companies may not be able to scale 6 months demand in 6 weeks, great, this camera has been in the works a lot longer than 6 weeks. The demand has been known or at least should have been. I guess what is strange is how it's not possible to post a negative thought anymore without being considered a rant.

There appears that there is not a "flood" of bodies coming into the US. Instead it's more of a trickle. Nikon can barely make the NPS orders, and some of them may not be filled. My local dealer, had 30 first day orders, 45 total 4 NPS and they will get 2 cameras today.

You seem to feel I crucified Nikon by your post. I again disagree. I just feel Nikon could have done a better job or pushed back the actual date.

I just find it a bit strange that after all the hype for this camera and demand generation that Nikon has, that they the number of actual units shipped appears to be quite small.

As for positive thoughts, I have plenty, and again I am surprised to be called out as a ranter.

I guess it's time to move on to greener fields.

Paul Caldwell

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ummm... I think we can be reasonably sure that Nikon is shipping to the market as many bodies as physically possible. Since they manufacture these cameras in their own factories, mostly in Thailand, there are obvious limitations. In addition, there have probably been last minute updates to the firmware (anybody who have worked with computer programming would confirm this), which means that many cameras have probably had to be upgraded manually to the latest version.

I find it strange that on one hand, people worry about cameras come out with problems like what was experienced with the D600, while on the other hand, there's little understanding when it comes to the fact that the first batch of cameras has to be inspected for problems particularly thoroughly to avoid a repeat of earlier failures.

what's the hurry anyway?

glennedens

Re: D850 Delivery slipping fast

Just got an email from Amazon and my "estimated" delivery date is now "estimated" to be November 21st. I ordered within minutes of Amazon accepting orders on August 24th :( An earlier Amazon email said it would be September 7th.

The D850 is going to be in short supply for a while! Sad that my dealer of 38 years is out of business, I no longer have "pull" anywhere :) otherwise I would have been near, or at, the front of the list. KSP RIP, we miss you!

Best wishes for everyone who receives their D850 this week and I look forward to seeing images!

jlancasterd

Cambrian Photography (Colwyn Bay) rang this afternoon to say that my D850 has arrived. That's only about two weeks since I ordered it.

I'll pick it up on Monday when I have to go to Llandudno in any case, as this is only about 8 miles from Colwyn Bay. Its a 90-mile round trip from where I live to Llandudno, so I don't want to make the journey twice. I'll have to contain my enthusiasm in the meantime (and spend the time deciding which bits of my existing photo gear will have to go to help pay for the D850…!)

Last edited:

jduncan

Hi,
Reviews start to appear.

Tony & Chelsea Northrup got a couple from Nikon. Initial tests show that both dynamic range and high iso performance is quite similar to that of the D810. I never buy the "dynamic range is far better" matra, but I was specting a litte more improvement on the high issue performace. Tony used a particular metodologies, maybe DxO mark will show different.
The good news is that dynamic range and iso performance are not worse, so the are excelent and you have all the rest of the package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTHAnfMWAHQ&ab_channel=Tony&ChelseaNorthrup

Best regards,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Cambrian Photography (Colwyn Bay) rang this afternoon to say that my D850 has arrived. That's only about two weeks since I ordered it.

I'll pick it up on Monday when I have to go to Llandudno in any case, as this is only about 8 miles from Colwyn Bay. Its a 90-mile round trip from where I live to Llandudno, so I don't want to make the journey twice. I'll have to contain my enthusiasm in the meantime (and spend the time deciding which bits of my existing photo gear will have to go to help pay for the D810…!)
It's names like Llandudno that makes me want to go travelling, even without a D850 :)

Dustbak

Well, I just had a brief moment yesterday night to have a glance on my new D850. My first impressions:

It is a Nikon... For the moment no, RTFM for me though there are obviously functions that I know absolutely nothing about. After having used Nikon since the late 80's, I can pick up the body, set the basic stuff to the way I like and start using it. I do intend to get to know the way the AF works intimately.

The first thing I did was to install the DK17 on the body. Indeed the finder is really nice! No, it is not in the realm of the H5D60 or 40 but a real upgrade. For the first time in the digital era I feel like it is like the F5 used to be!

I can only compare to the D800e I have but the body seems higher, or at least the grip seems to be and also a bit deeper making it easier to hold.

The screen is WAY better than the one on the D800e. For the first time I like the image I see on the screen.

No more pesky pop-up flash!! :)

Oh, did I mention it handles like a Nikon?

I have not made a lot of images yet (only a few actually) and the ones I made were only in my near vicinity but just to be fair I have pasted some below with a couple of 100% crops. Made at ISO6400 (on the D800e I would never go beyond 3200 but I feel this is tolerable maybe a stop more). Images are Jpeg SOOC.

Attachments

jduncan

Hah!!! Mine is in! I just picked it up. Now lets get to know this baby!
Hi,

Could you perform the following test:
Take the same picuture with the 3 RAW file formats (i45-MP, 25-MP and 11MP) and publish the image size in megabytes of each file.
Any boring subject will do.

Thanks a lot.

jlancasterd

It's names like Llandudno that makes me want to go travelling, even without a D850 :)
We can do better than Llandudno! The village where I live is Garndolbenmaen and the Ffestiniog Railway, for which I edit the magazine, has stations and halts called Penrhyndeudraeth, Coed y Bleiddiau, Tanygrisiau and (my favourite because very few passengers can even remotely pronounce it) Dduallt. The trick is to remember that you are dealing with the Welsh alphabet (a, b, c, ch, d, dd, e, f, ff, g, ng, h, i, l, ll, m, n, o, p, ph, r, rh, s, t, th, u, w, y) most of which represent sounds different from their apparent English equivalents. Dduallt is actually pronounced The-acht…

jduncan

Hi,

Most people are not finding the high iso performance (color noise maybe a little better, but pattern noise is not).
The good part is that is not worse than the D810 and that is an achievement by itself.
I don't see that as major flaws. More people buy a high-resolution camera to get the best image possible, and that means controlling the light as much as possible. If you can't you know you can reduce the image say to 24mp and get a cleaner image with good resolution.
Don't get me wrong, I will love a better high iso performance, but maybe is not what we are getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOmeBuU6zm8&ab_channel=JeremySmith

Best regards,