The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

jlancasterd

I collected my D850 from Cambrian Photography this morning. Mark Duncalf, the proprietor, told me they have had four so far, and that my Nikon Professional User number was key to my getting one so quickly. They deal with Nikon Europe, so deliveries come from Amsterdam.

On my return I spent some time setting up the camera, then made a quick visit to the railway workshop to check it out, shooting jpeg+raw. First impressions are that it handles very nicely, with the deeper grip a definite improvement over the D810. The shutter sound is different - more metallic, reflecting the change of materials.

I haven't investigated Raw conversion yet, but the jpegs, using the highest quality setting, look very nice:-

DLG at BL RGB.jpg

Sigma 35mm ART lens at f8.0

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
We can do better than Llandudno! The village where I live is Garndolbenmaen and the Ffestiniog Railway, for which I edit the magazine, has stations and halts called Penrhyndeudraeth, Coed y Bleiddiau, Tanygrisiau and (my favourite because very few passengers can even remotely pronounce it) Dduallt. The trick is to remember that you are dealing with the Welsh alphabet (a, b, c, ch, d, dd, e, f, ff, g, ng, h, i, l, ll, m, n, o, p, ph, r, rh, s, t, th, u, w, y) most of which represent sounds different from their apparent English equivalents. Dduallt is actually pronounced The-acht…
Now you're just making stuff up. Right? (jk)

jlancasterd

Now you're just making stuff up. Right? (jk)
Noooo! Most Welsh names are actually descriptive. Coed y Bleiddiau actually means Wood of the Wolves, and is reputedly where the last wolf in Wales was killed several hundred years ago.

The ultimate Welsh place name is, of course:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, which is a village on Anglesey, only about 25 miles from where I live.

It means: St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool of Llantysilio of the red cave, and is a 19th century invention designed to bring the village to the attention of tourists.

There's a Wikipedia page if you want to investigate further…

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Noooo! Most Welsh names are actually descriptive. Coed y Bleiddiau actually means Wood of the Wolves, and is reputedly where the last wolf in Wales was killed several hundred years ago.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, which is a village on Anglesey, only about 25 miles from where I live.

It means: St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool of Llantysilio of the red cave, and is a 19th century invention designed to bring the village to the attention of tourists.

Sounds like another destination to add to the list. Thanks!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Thanks for the meaning - I've always wondered because as a kid in the U.K. We always used this as an example of the longest place names. Btw, one thing to spell it - quite another to say it :thumbs: (by comparison English words like floccinaucinihilipilification and antidisestablishmentarianism seem tame)

And just to keep things on thread - damn you all ... I can see replacing my sold off df (which I miss!) with an 850 in the not too distant future. I only have AIS lenses these days but why not jump ahead to the best new Nikon?

jlancasterd

Thanks for the meaning - I've always wondered because as a kid in the U.K. We always used this as an example of the longest place names. Btw, one thing to spell it - quite another to say it :thumbs: (by comparison English words like floccinaucinihilipilification and antidisestablishmentarianism seem tame)

And just to keep things on thread - damn you all ... I can see replacing my sold off df (which I miss!) with an 850 in the not too distant future. I only have AIS lenses these days but why not jump ahead to the best new Nikon?

Thanks Graham!

If you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend you buy the D850. Even just looking at the jpegs from the D850 / Sigma Art 35 combination I'm getting the sort of biting sharpness that I remember from when I had a Hasselblad with an 80mm Zeiss and shot mainly monchrome.

Thorkil

Hello John
allow me to interfere.
Did you come from a D810 or even better if you came from a Df or D4?
While for my part I'm very interested in hearing about the practical experience from coming
from these last cameras to judge whether there would be a gain in colors, specially the smooth and soft tones, but also the sharpness experience.
best Thorkil

jlancasterd

Hello John
allow me to interfere.
Did you come from a D810 or even better if you came from a Df or D4?
While for my part I'm very interested in hearing about the practical experience from coming
from these last cameras to judge whether there would be a gain in colors, specially the smooth and soft tones, but also the sharpness experience.
best Thorkil
Hi Thorkill. The camera that the D850 replaced was a D810. I haven't used the D850 enough so far to be able to comment on any gain in colours, but the colour values in the photograph of a locomotive that I posted earlier were very natural straight out of the camera. I was also very pleased with the amount of shadow detail that the image exhibits.

Thorkil

Hi Thorkill. The camera that the D850 replaced was a D810. I haven't used the D850 enough so far to be able to comment on any gain in colours, but the colour values in the photograph of a locomotive that I posted earlier were very natural straight out of the camera. I was also very pleased with the amount of shadow detail that the image exhibits.
Hi John. Ok, thank you. And yes the locomotive-picture looked very well indeed!
thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FYI, Capture One 10.2 just released with support for the D850 -- thank you Capture One! :thumbs:

V

Vivek

Ha!

I think this is not a Nikon specific problem. All camera makers behave the same way. :(