The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

Thorkil

You do well with your Df. Keep using it and not put it away!
Thank you Vivek! We all need some encouragement now and then, just to keep up the optimism :thumbup:

Yes I think women are wiser than men especially considering gear (perhaps apart from the gear they are wearing, but then it might be cheaper than ours, and we appreciate their gear when it suits, they don't appreciate ours, but they are trying hard to understand the mystery but do not succeed).
I got a friend with Fuji's x-T2 and X-pro2. He was dreaming of a GFX, then a A7R, a M10, then my Df and now the D850, but "only" with 3 lenses he claim (he just sold his D800 a year ago and a lot of splendid lenses).
I try to tell him that it doesn’t save our lifes or even our sparetime, it don't automatic lift us out of the armchair, it won't find the right places, it won’t find the non-typical viewangle we are longing for, and it won’t take splendid pictures for us.
We still have to do it all by ourselves...sigh...
I hope he is not out of reach..(at least for the sake of his wife..)
thorkil

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just want to thank one of the Portland D810 sellers who traded their mint D810 in anticipation of getting their D850. I scored a bargain tonight to go with the Df I also bought earlier to replace the one I sold (a dumb move ... I missed that camera!)

:thumbs:

D&A

"antidisestablishmentarianism"! Wow Graham, I haven't heard this word since I was 5 years old, when my older sister at the time pranced around repeating this word over and over, demonstrating how worldly and knowledgeable she was to her pre teen friends. Truth be told I did the same thing without ever having a clue what it meant and doubt she did either. :)

To keep this thread on topic, I plan to exclaim this word out loud when lifing the D850 out of its box if I ever decide to upgrade my Df...a body with output I dearly love...all 16 Megapixels of it.

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
"antidisestablishmentarianism"! Wow Graham, I haven't heard this word since I was 5 years old, when my older sister at the time pranced around repeating this word over and over, demonstrating how worldly and knowledgeable she was to her pre teen friends. Truth be told I did the same thing without ever having a clue what it meant and doubt she did either. :)

To keep this thread on topic, I plan to exclaim this word out loud when lifing the D850 out of its box if I ever decide to upgrade my Df...a body with output I dearly love...all 16 Megapixels of it.

Dave (D&A)
Me too. To both paragraphs. One of the benefits of a classical British education :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
To those of you who now own the D850 . . .

WHERE

ARE

THE

PICTURES

???

:wtf:

( :D )

JohnBrew

I am currently in Tuscany and went to the Nikon store in Siena today. They have three d850's in stock plus a demo. I was carrying my 810 at the time so had a direct cmparison. The grip is a big improvement and while I can take or leave the movable LCD, it does work well. The viewfinder is like strapping on a WA, a much larger view as I went back-and-firth between it and my 810. Nothing else to report as I am fairly busy.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am currently in Tuscany and went to the Nikon store in Siena today. They have three d850's in stock plus a demo. I was carrying my 810 at the time so had a direct cmparison. The grip is a big improvement and while I can take or leave the movable LCD, it does work well. The viewfinder is like strapping on a WA, a much larger view as I went back-and-firth between it and my 810. Nothing else to report as I am fairly busy.
Did you buy one of them???

:grin:

DougDolde

I've looked at quite a few raw files from the D850. While impressive, they are still not a match for my IQ180. I suppose most of you aren't surprised by that. Of course it has a lot of capabilities that the IQ180 doesn't have.

So though I could downsize to the Nikon I don't think I will. Those IQ180 files are just too awesome by comparison.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have shot medium format myself, both analog and digital and there is no question at all that MF is superior WRT IQ.

But, I would never go back into MF again and choose a system based on a D850 anytime now without hesitating. Much lower price, much better selection of lenses available, much, Much, MUCH better AF etc. AND the resulting IQ is so close to MF I would not think about this at all.

But that's just me ..... :cool::D:loco:

jduncan

I've looked at quite a few raw files from the D850. While impressive, they are still not a match for my IQ180. I suppose most of you aren't surprised by that. Of course it has a lot of capabilities that the IQ180 doesn't have.

So though I could downsize to the Nikon I don't think I will. Those IQ180 files are just too awesome by comparison.
My understanding is that dynamic range is better on the D850 but color and resolution is better in the IQ180. Is this your impression too?
What lenses did you use for the comparison?

Best regards,

DougDolde

My understanding is that dynamic range is better on the D850 but color and resolution is better in the IQ180. Is this your impression too?
What lenses did you use for the comparison?

Best regards,
I did not test the D850 just looked a few my friend sent me. I think he used the new Tamron 24-70

Yes it might have higher dynamic range than the IQ180 but that doesn't change my opinion

sc_john

Question regarding WA and UWA lenses on D850... What are you using and what is your experience with the performance of these lenses with the D850 sensor? My kit is finalized above 50mm, but need to add WA and UWA. Thanks in advance for comments/opinions.

John

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
As re comparing a $3,500 FF camera body to a $35,000 MF DB... Two different cams serving different purposes. If the D850 is "good enough" for what you shoot, winner winner, chicken dinner! If it isn't, or if you want lens movements with a variety of excellent wide angle lenses, the most accurate color available and the most pixels available in a single capture, then high resolution MF is the lone option that remains. Personally, I see room for both in a shooter's bag. For me, my imaging has taken a turn, and if I'm honest with myself the D810 is already enough. Though I admit that if money weren't a barrier for me (and unfortunately it is), I'd also own an IQ3-100, tech cam and 3 or 4 lenses in addition to my rather complete Nikon kit.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Question regarding WA and UWA lenses on D850... What are you using and what is your experience with the performance of these lenses with the D850 sensor? My kit is finalized above 50mm, but need to add WA and UWA. Thanks in advance for comments/opinions.

John
John,

Good question and I am wondering the same. Hopefully Roger and others that own the body and have a range of glass will report back (hint hint :D ). My intuition says the 19PC could be outstanding and this body may justify that lens investment. I also think the Sigma 24 ART could be well in the running as most reviews put it at the top of the 24mm performer list. I had listed mine in the B&S but am reconsidering selling that one, as it is such a great performer on the D810; corner to corner laser sharp, and very low distortion. It does exhibit coma at wide apertures, so is not an ideal astro lens.