The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
@ Bernard -- thank you!

First thing I notice is how well it renders greens -- obviously more critical testing needed, but from what you've posted, it appears to rival or possibly even surpass MF greens, which is frankly remarkable. Now I absolutely want one! Detail is excellent too as would be expected. Reds appear a little hot however.

Few questions: May I ask the lens and exposure data for the images? Are these in-cam jpegs or raws, and if raws, what converter did you use? Did you use AWB, or choose it in post? (I ask because the CT in the images captures the setting very well!)

Thank you!

bernardl

@ Bernard -- thank you!

First thing I notice is how well it renders greens -- obviously more critical testing needed, but from what you've posted, it appears to rival or possibly even surpass MF greens, which is frankly remarkable. Now I absolutely want one! Detail is excellent too as would be expected. Reds appear a little hot however.

Few questions: May I ask the lens and exposure data for the images? Are these in-cam jpegs or raws, and if raws, what converter did you use? Did you use AWB, or choose it in post? (I ask because the CT in the images captures the setting very well!)

Thank you!
Hi Jack,

With pleasure. :)

Lenses include a mix of 70-200 f2.8 E FL, 24-70 f2.8 VR and Leica 180mm f2.8 APO.

All raw converted with C1 Pro.

WB base is AWB, typically mode 2 (preserve warm colors) but tuned for most images.

The colors of the D850 rock! Especially the blues but the greens are sweet too. I probably still prefer the greens of my H6D-100c converted with LR, but the D850 probably comes close.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ai -- I don't disagree with you much at all when we get down to it. I still do photography because I enjoy the process from a hobbyist standpoint; I find it therapeutic. But my excitement over results has morphed to the point they don't really juice me anymore -- it's still the simplicity of "being in the outdoors" when I shoot landscapes, hanging with like-minded people when we do workshops, and looking for the evasive "one in a million" keeper shot. To that end, I could reasonably accomplish all of it with my iPhone, but I do get some juice from using decent gear and absolutely prefer the feel of the legacy equipment in my hand whilst doing it ;) Plus it gives me something to talk about here :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Paul2660

Doubtful Peter. The first batch sold out immediately. What I did notice is there was not as large of rush to get on this bandwagon, but I suspect a lot of that was for the same reason I paused -- wanting to make certain I was not a Beta-tester this time around... I will get one, and I'm sure once the pipeline fills it will be a strong seller both here and abroad. And the 4K video features may be responsible for well over half its market share...

What is sad is the condition of the institution of photography itself. --- Here I do believe the number of folks that actually carry -- nay, OWN -- any sort of dedicated camera has dwindled to almost nothing due to cell phones being "so darn good." Photography itself won't be a lost art anytime soon, but creating static images with a dedicated camera of any sort may soon be.

Moreover, as everything moves to a more and more digital world, paper (or glass or aluminum) printed with anything on it may be the actual lost art... I have not sold an actual print in over a year, and made only a handful of custom ones for people last year. In 10 more years, I suspect wall-sized lcd panels capable of holding millions of images and thousands or tens of thousands of video clips will sell for a few hundred dollars, and that will mark the end of the printed medium forever, at least other than for purely artistic purposes...

/cynical rant

Hi Jack,

I missed this post, but after reading it I had to add some thoughts as your comments are exactly the same as what I see daily. Photography IMO as an institution where I learned it, was all about the capture and the final print. Net, without a print, you really had nothing. I just finished a printing job for a customer who does a lot of local architecture work. The prints were all in the 24 x 36 range all taken with various Nikon/Canon cameras, but mainly the D810. The first thing that the VP reviewing the final prints stated was "Did you Photoshop that?" So many if not most just feel you hit a few buttons, plug the camera into the printer, and hit print! And all the contrast, color, shadow recovery, etc all of that was done with a simple quick "photoshop" button on the mac or PC. I have totally given up even getting into these types of discussions as they are pointless, but it does show just how powerful the internet is on totally changing a paradigm. Most of these same people can't even remember all the things we used to do in the darkroom to either push, or pull a negative, then the dodging and burning, or the use of different film and paper types to either pull out saturation, Fuji Process for example. End result can still be close but since it was film and not that many folks really ever worked in a darkroom especially with color which is worked in total darkness, thus they have nothing to compare it to.

A couple of years ago, I might have tried to explain to them what a raw file is, and how I find that the process of digital capture to final print, actually takes much more time than it did in my Darkroom days, Cibachrome and Kodak. Plus the fact that in those days, I was pretty limited to 16 x 20 max sized print as working with anything much larger, even 20 x 30 was a huge step up in both time and cost.

My main reason to move to MF Digital was the resolution. I like to print big, as big as I can go, as it's still a bit of differentiation between myself and competition. The years I spent working with various interpolation software to get an 6mp, then 11mp then 22, to work out in a large print made it clear for my workflow that the best solution is to use as much resolution as you can at the time of capture. Thus for years I stitched everything and it worked out fine, but this was before the advent of the modern software for stitching and all of mine was done with a Zork adapter so all the stitching was manual (just hit that photoshop button). Got the resolution I wanted but the time in post was extreme. The move to MF helped out a lot. And now the DSLRs are there, both Canon and Nikon at least to 50MP and IMO past 50MP for a 35mm sized sensor will really be a challenge due to diffraction, just as it is with the 100MP MF format and will worse on the 150MP MF.

The Photographer of today has changed. The toolset is the iPhone and the Print is the internet. The dpi is 72 or less. The images hit, are viewed and are gone, forgotten as fast as they are posted. Can these images get to a 30 x 40 or 40 x 60 or 40 x 96 inch print, no. Will they ever no. But the vast majority of these photographers could care less about a print, in fact printing is a foreign thing. But you can populate a flickr, or Smugmug or 500px site with these same images and many do again the thought of a print never entered their minds.

So for the folks who still make prints it just makes the process that much harder as these same photographers are the ones making the purchasing decisions for large corporate deals i.e. office buildings hospitals etc. That is the market I attempt to work in and so far I am doing OK, but every year the price points are hit as the folks making the decision base the decision on iPhone capture technology. The thought of color space, gamut, paper type. media, ink jet, or lightjet or solvent never comes into play.

I am very happy to hear that some on this site and others are able to still make it successfully in the art market (galleries). I also feel that a lot of that success is very dependent on the gallery and how they market your work and more importantly understand your workflow.

The D850 won't change any of this mindset. However it's clear based on the images I have seen it's going to start pressing on the already narrow band of MF backs as 50Mp is plenty for my work as stitching is just so easy now. The colors from the D850 do appear very impressive and DR similar to that of the D810. Nikon has really stepped up with their latest lenses, the new 24-70 and 70-200 are impressive, and I find them both vastly superior to the former versions.

Sorry, long rant, but just felt your point was well stated.

Paul Caldwell

DougDolde

Pictureline SLC called me this am saying they got in a new shipment of D850's and I was up to get one. Short story...turned it down.

Paul2660

Hi Al,

Love the shot. Just wish Nikon could ship more of the D850's amazing that it started to ship on 08_24_17 and I ordered at 6 am and still no camera. Would love to get into NPS but that is just as hard as finding a D850.

Glad to see your results are so good. And I agree the ES and tipod for telephoto should be a great solution.

Paul Caldwell

bernardl

Hi Al,

Love the shot. Just wish Nikon could ship more of the D850's amazing that it started to ship on 08_24_17 and I ordered at 6 am and still no camera.
In fact in started to ship on Sept 8th.

But indeed, don’t know what component is preventing Nikon from increasing the throughput. It may be related to very stringent QA checks with much increased validations and a more stringent rejction KPI. So far few if any problems have been reported which would tend to confirm that only perfect bodies ship.

As good as their engineering is they are obviously far from having sorted out many of their manufacturing challenges, which may not affecf customers directly anymore, but apparently reduces their ability to ship as many bodies as needed.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

yes, I forgot first day to order was the 24th, ship 7th in the US.

Still strange that they couldn't ramp up enough to cover at least the pre-orders, it's not like they didn't have any idea as to how many were on order (at least I hope they did).

Third round is now releasing, won't know if I made the cut again for a few days as B&H and Adorama will not open till 16th.

Paul Caldwell

Paul2660

Well, I did have some hope since B&H had been closed for quite a while and for sure a few more D850's have shipped.

Per B&H, I ordered at 7 am, 4 hours after the open order window. They have not filled all the orders from hour 1, so looks like seeing a D850 will be 2018 for me.

I will leave my thoughts about Nikon and how this camera has been handled for my website blog, so not to create any fires here.

Just wanted to let the others know who may also be in the B&H or Adorama loop where things stand at B&H.

Paul Caldwell

DougDolde

I turned down one from Pictureline last week. I think only ordering from B&H is a big mistake due to the huge number of orders they received.

Nikon may be a little slow but its nothing compared to the X1D debacle.

I think there's too much I WANT IT NOW spoiled rotten attitude here

Paul2660

I ordered from Bedford Camera on Sep.24th and it shipped today (10/16). :)

Mr.G
I also have one on order with Bedford in Little Rock, they of course require full payment in advance to get to the top of the list, I had paid 1/2 down and have been on order as long.

Paul Caldwell

Paul2660

I turned down one from Pictureline last week. I think only ordering from B&H is a big mistake due to the huge number of orders they received.

Nikon may be a little slow but its nothing compared to the X1D debacle.

I think there's too much I WANT IT NOW spoiled rotten attitude here
No, I WANT IT NOW ATTITUDE, strongly disagree. Net, the camera has been around now for over 1 year in prototype. Probably one of the longest "known" about new releases ever. It doesn't work for your work, you can pass, great.

If the camera meets the needs, which it does for me and my work, I don't see it as a "want it now" but instead "I have read the specs and agree that it is a positive advance in technology for my photography".

Plus the value of the D810 will continue to fall. Flip, the X1D, should Never been announced when it was, as it was quite apparent, Hasselblad was nowhere near ready to ship it. They were aiming to get ahead of a known product from Fuji again, one that had been on the charts for over 1 year.

I do agree that the larger shops were not the place to order this, something I overlooked this time as B&H had done well with other products. My local shop wanted all of price at time of order or you are at the bottom of the list and I held off on full payment only gave 1/2 and thus I have missed out on all three of the releases. I have only had to do this before with P1 product and that is only 1/2.

Paul Caldwell

Mr.Gale

"I think there's too much I WANT IT NOW spoiled rotten attitude here"

Say what! I don't think I have a "spoiled rotten attitude". This is a major upgrade to the Nikon D800 line that will be a replacement for my Hasselblad H4D50 which I now plan on selling.

Mr.G

Mr.Gale

I also have one on order with Bedford in Little Rock, they of course require full payment in advance to get to the top of the list, I had paid 1/2 down and have been on order as long.

Paul Caldwell
That's strange(?). They didn't charge my CC until last Friday (10/13).

Mr.G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's when I see discussions like this I'm happy to take my F6 out for a stroll, knowing that there will probably never be an upgrade or a replacement :)

jlancasterd

Re: D850 Lightroom CC Update

Have just downloaded the Lightroom CC update that includes a profile for the D850.

It seems much faster than the Lightroom 6 stand-alone version.