The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

DougDolde

Stilll setting it up, RRS plate arrives today. Undecided whether all future lens choices will be Zeiss. I guess it depends on how easy I find it to manually focus. Live view focus peaking works good at 28mm

Last edited:

Frankly

Big fan of the magnifying eyepiece and the folding rubber eyecup, both help with manual focusing and general usability on my D810s. I also have a fat corded Stroppa Strap that’s the best I’ve ever used (better than Peak Designs and Monarch Straps IMHO). RRS plate with leather hand grip on the telephoto body but even though I’m a RRS fanboy the Kirk plate I have on the strapped body fits better and stays cleaner. Maybe RRS improved their design for the D850?

Udo

... Maybe RRS improved their design for the D850?
The design of this plate has changed compared to the RRS L-Plate/Bracket for e.g. D800. While this came as a single piece the new L-Plate for the D850 comes in two pieces. The perpendicular part/arm slides in the bottom plate and can be fixed by an additional screw (allen key fixed by magnet in the bottom plate) while the latter stays fixed. Furthermore the perpendicular arm can be fixed by a screw in the camera's top left eyelet which gives reasonable stability.

Regards, Udo

DougDolde

Doug, do you process with C1 or LR or Capture? Were you using any filters? I ask because I see what appear to be slightly odd color/saturation transitions in some of the skies...
I just upgraded my C! and reprocessed the files. So much better with C1. So have another look.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ah, got it. ACR is usually the same as the LR raw engine, so it makes sense. C1 is great with out of the box color for sure.

Paul2660

If you are using ACR make sure your profile is not set to Adobe Standard. I would recommend camera standard.

C1 seems to have a problem pulling out the finer details on distant objects like fall leaves.

Paul Caldwell

DougDolde

Just added a couple more to my Recent Images page both of course with the D850. I've had it only for a day and a half but am very impressed. It's really a great value.

Plenty of resolution, not as much as the IQ180 of course, but everything else is as good or better. And I haven't even tried low light shots or video. The dynamic range seems better as well.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
C1 seems to have a problem pulling out the finer details on distant objects like fall leaves.

Paul Caldwell
Paul, all due respect I've NEVER had that issue, and in fact find C1 to pull more fine detail out of a file than any other program. Of course it requires you properly set the sharpening and noise sliders!

Paul2660

Hi Jack,

I agree, normally C1 seems to always pull more details. However on the images I took this fall, I was disappointed in the finer details in some of the colors. C1 vs ACR/LR, might be my settings, not sure.

However since many of my shots are panos, I have to pretty much default to ACR now, as I feel that creation of a multi segment pano with a lot of DR range works best from raws not tiff, and C1 just has no real solution.

So far I only see this on the D850 images, not my d810 or P1 back shots.

Paul

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack,

I agree, normally C1 seems to always pull more details. However on the images I took this fall, I was disappointed in the finer details in some of the colors. C1 vs ACR/LR, might be my settings, not sure.

However since many of my shots are panos, I have to pretty much default to ACR now, as I feel that creation of a multi segment pano with a lot of DR range works best from raws not tiff, and C1 just has no real solution.

So far I only see this on the D850 images, not my d810 or P1 back shots.

Paul
What do you have your color and luminosity NR set at for your chosen ISO? For low ISO images, try color at 0-25, luminance at 0-35 and detail at 40-60. With the smaller pixels, you'll need to dial them down from what you used on the 810. Not sure what needs to be done with capture sharpening until I get a good D850 file of my own to work with. Finally, I've noted your style tends towards more heavily saturated, so for detail your color NR setting becomes much more critical.