The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

iiiNelson

Probably not. The talk about 8K stop motion strongly indicates a 42MP sensor. Sony's 42MP sensor is 8K wide.
8k video requires about 35 megapixels. I'm not exactly sure what constitutes a 8k time lapse...

The Sony 42 megapixel sensor has a width of 7952. I'd assume that Nikon will go with a 50-ish megapixel sensor to get more width and maybe still be within that 8k video term if the plan is to keep a 3:2 aspect ratio.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
From all I heard the sensor should be 45-46MP. But I actually could not care less about a few MP more resolution. What is more important are improved DR, AF accuracy and video, especially 4k video with no crop or at least very minimal crop. Plus a few other improvements that would take me out behind my oven ....

End of the day they need to get this one really right IMHO - otherwise this could easily become their first and also their last 100 years.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
8k video requires about 35 megapixels. I'm not exactly sure what constitutes a 8k time lapse...

The Sony 42 megapixel sensor has a width of 7952. I'd assume that Nikon will go with a 50-ish megapixel sensor to get more width and maybe still be within that 8k video term if the plan is to keep a 3:2 aspect ratio.
8K is 7680×4320, so the sensor would have to be at least 7680 pixels wide. In 3:2 format, that's minimum 39MP (7680x5120).

The reason why I assume that the 42MP sensor would probably be used is that, if Nikon goes for any 8K application, even if it's only for stop-motion and similar non-video formats), they will probably try to avoid much crop, something Canon has been criticised heavily for after the launch of the 5D IV. The step up to 50MP from 42MP (9% linear) has little consequence. Having had the time and opportunity to work with and optimise an "old" sensor for a couple of years probably has, particularly if the 42MP sensor has been upgraded with regards to read-out speed etc. Just look at the improvements they made from the D800/E to the D810.

What is even more critical than the sensor is probably processing capacity and firmware.

At least as interesting is what they do on the viewfinder side. I'm optimistic and hope for an EVF option, and obviously peaking. Articulated LCD I pretty much take for granted nowadays. It will also be interesting to see if they stay with the D810 size, or if they shrink it down to something more like the D750, which in my view is a pretty ideal size for balance and grip (Around 140mm wide and with a relatively thin body. Interestingly, two of my other favourite bodies, the GH5 and the A99 II are approx. the same width).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... otherwise this could easily become their first and also their last 100 years.
In 100 years, all people will have chips implanted at birth, and everything they see will be recorded and edited in real-time by the Ministry of Beautiful Thought and Correct, Acceptable Behavior :wtf:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can say two things about this new camera are certain...

1) I will buy one and,

2) It won't make me or anybody else a better photographer.

iiiNelson

8K is 7680×4320, so the sensor would have to be at least 7680 pixels wide. In 3:2 format, that's minimum 39MP (7680x5120).

The reason why I assume that the 42MP sensor would probably be used is that, if Nikon goes for any 8K application, even if it's only for stop-motion and similar non-video formats), they will probably try to avoid much crop, something Canon has been criticised heavily for after the launch of the 5D IV. The step up to 50MP from 42MP (9% linear) has little consequence. Having had the time and opportunity to work with and optimise an "old" sensor for a couple of years probably has, particularly if the 42MP sensor has been upgraded with regards to read-out speed etc. Just look at the improvements they made from the D800/E to the D810.

What is even more critical than the sensor is probably processing capacity and firmware.

At least as interesting is what they do on the viewfinder side. I'm optimistic and hope for an EVF option, and obviously peaking. Articulated LCD I pretty much take for granted nowadays. It will also be interesting to see if they stay with the D810 size, or if they shrink it down to something more like the D750, which in my view is a pretty ideal size for balance and grip (Around 140mm wide and with a relatively thin body. Interestingly, two of my other favourite bodies, the GH5 and the A99 II are approx. the same width).
I think you're confusing the difference between UHD and 4K (and by association UHD8k and actual 8K)... two different things though some assume they're synonymous. Pretty much one is the resolution 4K= 4096 pixels and 8K=8192 pixels. UHD=3840 pixels.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think you're confusing the difference between UHD and 4K (and by association UHD8k and actual 8K)... two different things though some assume they're synonymous. Pretty much one is the resolution 4K= 4096 pixels and 8K=8192 pixels. UHD=3840 pixels.
The only purpose of 8K with a camera is UHD. Stills are measured in megapixels.

Mathematical 8K (8192 pixels) requires a 42MP sensor if the aspect ratio of the sensor is 3:2. I would be surprised if Nikon offered a different aspect ratio sensor with the D850.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But whatever the D850 is or isn't, I hope that its launch will result in a sufficient number of used D810 bodies to hit the market for the price to go down a bit. I've kept a extra battery and a couple of those fast, large capacity CF cards just in case :)

The there's nothing wrong with the images out of the D810. Here with the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (old ED non-VR) @ 195mm and f/4.8.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

If they manage to offer a kind of integrated EVF in a DSLR I would be back in the boat pretty fast. This is what I always hoped for and I still do not understand why this was not realised so far by any vendor. I also would welcome a slightly smaller body like the D750 and articulating screen is a must today anyway. If they finally manage to minimise 4k crop or even get rid of it, that would then become my dream camera. And I literally mean that. Would sell off all my Olympus and Fuji gear in a heartbeat.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

1) I will buy one and,

Probably not a better photographer, but for sure a more satisfied one, which in turn results in better pictures :cool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Probably not a better photographer, but for sure a more satisfied one, which in turn results in better pictures :cool:
I'm honestly not so sure about that. I am more than satisfied with my D810, and for what I do, I honestly cannot think of only one tiny thing it could do better for me -- cleaner ISO over 3200. And this is somewhat unlikely from this new one as it also gains more pixels. The D810 has achieved a level of performance that is beyond expectations for the sensor size, and more importantly is still delivering on that. For me, this new camera really only fills a need for a second high-res body, and in fact, I may do what Jorgen suggests, and simply buy a 2nd D810 depending on price-points. Hmmm...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hybrid Optical/EVF in Nikon D850 ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyZUH7cgKjI

If this is really true Nikon would have changed everything again - I really do hope for this! This would make all their Nikon lenses completely useable and be actually kind of their new mirrorless camera, but with the option of a mirror if needed.

Only question is why did they not introduce this earlier?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

If this is really true Nikon would have changed everything again - I really do hope for this! This would make all their Nikon lenses completely useable and be actually kind of their new mirrorless camera, but with the option of a mirror if needed.

Only question is why did they not introduce this earlier?
Well still, they are the first ;) I also like the flip-out rear LCD, big benefit when working live-view and tripod mounted.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Darn it, I just fell for the click bait ... don't bother with the link as this is just a purely speculative video.

A couple of things that would make me interested that have always bugged me with the D810 - split live view that allowed you to select two points in any orientation for near/far tilt fast tuning with PC-E lenses plus the tilting LCD which does look it might well be real.

Let's hope that they don't change the battery again as that always p*****s existing owners off.

Shashin

1) I will buy one and,

But maybe a cooler looking photographer... :toocool:

At least until the D860...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But maybe a cooler looking photographer... :toocool:

At least until the D860...
If I want to look cool, I bring the F6, and while the others chimp, I change film. F6 plus D700 was actually a pretty nice combo, and since a low mileage D700 is much cheaper than any D8xx new or used, maybe... :p