The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro lens for D850 focus stacking

Jeffg53

I am planning on buying a D850 and feel that the focus stacking is a great new feature. I already have it on my Olympus and like it a lot. My only problem is that I don't have an AF macro lens.

Is there a stand out lens for the job? My current lens collection is all Zeiss and Leica R.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Firstly, a question I'd absolutely research before buying, is what tech needs to be in a lens in order to fully benfit from the internal AF stacking. IOW is it only available for latest AF-S G lenses, or is it a 100% body function and works with any lens? (I suspect you'll need latest technology in order to get full compatibility.)

Assuming they would all work, IMHO there are potentially 4 or standouts:

1) The 105 AF-S G is stellar and I suspect will fully integrate.

Assuming others will integrate, then I'd add to my list:

2) The 200 f4 macro;

3) Sigma 150 AF;

4) Nikon 85 PC-E -- it won't get to 1:1 on it's own, but will with a TC 2x or a tube, and if that combo integrated, then you have the added option of tilts for Scheimpflug DOF manipulation.

Note that the 50-60's are not on my list -- the reason is the working distances get so short at 1:2 to 1:1 that it becomes a hindrance. As such, *IF* they integrate, the 150 or 200 would become my first choices precisely due to the added working distance.

Jeffg53

Thanks Gents. The 200 is definitely the most appealing. I remember back in my Canon days that the 180 was stellar and gave some working distance. Not having owned a Nikon lens in 50 years, makes it a little confusing.

I suppose that there is little to be done until Nikon tells us.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would be very surprised if the 105mm f/2.8 doesn't qualify, as Jack has already pointed out. That lens also has the advantage of being a rather decent portrait lens.

kxl

My understanding is that it is a focus-shifting function not focus stacking. It allows you to shoot a sequence, while automatically shifting focus. The shutter can be set up to 30 seconds and each focus step can be selected from 10 different levels. You then have to use Photoshop or some other software to stack the images.

Whether the function works only Nikon lenses (AFS, AFD, G, etc..) is not clear, but it would seem to imply that the D850 must be able to drive the lens' focus (so an AF lens is needed).

As for the Nikon 200/4, it was a great lens in its time, but I think the D850's resolution will show the 200/4's age. I would go for a more modern lens like the 60 and 105 from Nikon or the 150 or 180 from Sigma (assuming the focus stacking works with Sigma).

Swissblad

This thread is of personal interest....so thanks for initiating this discussion;)

A few points:

i. Unfortunately the PC-E 85mm will not work as it is MF......:(

ii. The Nikkor 200mm is a stellar lens.. but the AF really needs to be updated..... still the old drive by wire type.

iii. I absolutely love the Sigma 150mm - it is a superb lens... provided it connects well with the D850...it would be my lens of choice.

iv. The Nikkor 60mm is a superb lens - but as Jack pointed - working distance is a bit close.

Let's see what gives when I have a D850 in my sweaty little hands.....:cool:

Really glad to see Nikon implemented this function - saves me buying an Oly...!

Swissblad

My understanding is that it is a focus-shifting function not focus stacking. It allows you to shoot a sequence, while automatically shifting focus.

Correct - stacking needs to be done with 3rd party SW e.g. Helicon Focus.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Are we certain the it's the lens' focus that driven for the focus stacking function? I agree it's far more likely than the sensor being stepped, but sensor movement is a possibility...

Swissblad

Are we certain the it's the lens' focus that driven for the focus stacking function? I agree it's far more likely than the sensor being stepped, but sensor movement is a possibility...

Jack, I'm not sure how Nikon is implementing this set-up......for the Olympus system, only a few dedicated lenses will work, such as the 60mm Macro or 40-150mm zoom lenses - see here.

That sort of implies it uses the lens AF - as else it should be viable with every lens.... I think....;)

kxl

Jack - interesting point. Yes I guess that's possible, wouldn't that kind of implementation be more costly that simply driving an AF lens, which could have driven the price point way more than $3300 USD? Obviously, that's just a guess on my part. I guess we'll wait and see.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am guessing it's a firmware implementation of the AF fine-tune adjustment with the steps executed automatically from fore through aft, but that's just a guess ;)

Jeffg53

I posted this question on a Nikon USA forum and got the reply that the 200 was not supported. No detail was supplied so I suspect that I may have to wait until I get my hands on my own to find out.

Jeffg53

When all else fails: RTFM. The D850 manual is online and states that an AF-S or AF-P lens is required. It looks life the 200 is not supported.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
When all else fails: RTFM. The D850 manual is online and states that an AF-S or AF-P lens is required. It looks life the 200 is not supported.
It will be interesting to see if the Sigma lenses will work. The 180mm f/2.8 is not a bad lens, although a bit on the heavy side.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Firstly, amen to RTFM!

Second, the S or P type lens-motor requirement makes sense. It will be interesting to see if 3rd party "S" compatible lenses make the cut. If so, and if I wanted to do serious macro, the Sigma 150 would be on my short list.